Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moebius

Solved ??? How to Remove PolyObject Door with 3D Model Attached ???

Question

I have a doorway with two doors that open left/right. The door shapes are not rectangular. Using ZScript by 'boris' I have two 3D models attached to the PolyObjects. The doors work fine on their own.

After the Player goes through the doors and navigates to a point farther in the map, I want to replace the polyobject doors with an animated door sequence. The animated door sequence works fine on its own.

My plan was to remove the polyobject doors and then move the two ACTORS that are the animated sequence into the same place.  If nothing in in the 'space' the two ACTORS will move to the MAP SPOT and the animated sequence can be activated. However, Thing_Move won't move the ACTORS if the polyobject is still in the 'space'.

How do I remove the two door polyobject with 3D models attached?

1) I've tried removing the the PolyObject Start Point and Anchors. Also tried moving them to a MAP SPOT in a sector outside of the playable MAP.
2) I tried SetLineSpecial to change the Start Line of the polyobjects to nothing.
3) I tried lowering the ceiling of the PolyObject sectors to the floor. (This works for plain polyobject doors, but not if a 3D model is attached)

Any brilliant mappers out there that might have some suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l0mee2tNWfPbxUxnMbpdWSMv0kYTMB8Z/view?usp=sharing

I made a little test map to show what I would like to happen.

1. Player can go through Door A all they want until they reach a point farther into the MAP.
2. When they get to that point I want the 3D model polyobject door to go away. It would then be like Door B opening.
3. The two animated ACTORs would then move to the empty Door opening. (Cross the yellow line)
4. The Player can now try to open the Door, but instead gets the animation.

Can't figure out how to remove the 3D model polyobject door. Animated ACTORs won't move unless the opening is clear of them.

Edited by Moebius

4 answers to this question

Instead of using line special 8 (Polyobj_DoorSlide), use line special 4 (Polyobj_Move). If you're using swinging doors, use the polyobject rotate left/right functions. All of these are available as line actions and script actions. Sound sequences can be assigned to non-"door" polyobjects as well, so if by chance that was on your mind, don't worry about it.

I don't know what this "3d model attached" business is, but polyobjects themselves cannot be destroyed as that would be a violation of Doom's static map structures and indexing. All you can do is move them out of the way.

'boris' shared a zscript he wrote that allows 3D models to be attached to a polyobject.  So if you have a door that isn't just an elongated rectangle you can create a model and attach it.  You don't give the polyobject a texture.  it only acts as a solid, invisible door.  When you open the door, the model moves with the polyobject.

OK, I made a walkover line that opens the polyobject 3D model door with a 1024 delay; while open the animated 3D models will move into place and it worked.  However, after the 1024 delay, the doors closed and can be seen embedded in the animated 3D models and continue to work.

So now I have mostly solved the problem but have a new one.  How do I keep the polyobject door open forever?  For now I have Delay set at 3024000 = 24 hours.

Edited by Moebius

The polyobject door opens like an elevator door so the activate line is set to 8 (Polyobj_DoorSlide) for normal operation.  I already have a sound sequence for it.

I changed the activation in my script to 4 (Polyobj_Move) to permanently open it so the animated 3D models can move in to place.

It now works as I want it.  So you can't "remove" a polyobject from the map.  You have to move it out of the desired area.

Thanks All.