Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[noob]plonker

direct x9 and doom 3

No, carmack will (maybe) add some optional features supported by a dx9 card, but that will never make it run faster. By the way, check your spelling!!

Sorry mate, but I think this goes in tech.

Doom 3 supports OpenGL, not Direct3D.

A DirectX9-supporting graphics card driver might run Doom 3 faster, but it will be because it's newer than the older, non-DirectX9-compatible driver, and thus possibly more efficient, and not as a direct result of supporting DirectX9.

Arioch said:

Doom 3 supports OpenGL, not Direct3D.

A DirectX9-supporting graphics card driver might run Doom 3 faster, but it will be because it's newer than the older, non-DirectX9-compatible driver, and thus possibly more efficient, and not as a direct result of supporting DirectX9.

k so if it was a direct 3d aplication it would run smoother....

btw what is the latest vertion of OpenGLide ?

I'm pretty sure it's 1.4, although 2.0 must be in the works, cos Doom3 has an OpenGL 2.0 path.

Also, I thought it stood for Open Graphics Library... although I did hear it stemmed from 3DFX Glide.

OpenGL is not, and is not related to, Glide (afaik). Glide is proprietry 3dfx tech.

Jon said:

OpenGL is not, and is not related to, Glide (afaik). Glide is proprietry 3dfx tech.

Yep, too bad 3dfx had to go down, glide was great.

Alientank said:

Yep, too bad 3dfx had to go down, glide was great.

Too bad that he's wrong.

OpenGL came first, then 3dfx stripped it down (both in rendering capability, and visual quality), put their stamp on it and called it Glide.

Glide is a poor man's OpenGL -- that's why it ran so fast.

It ran so fast because it was specifically written to the capabilities of it's destination hardware. Also, Glide had some capabilities that OpenGL doesn't have, such as color-keying.

To say that Glide is a poor mans OpenGL is wrong. It's a completely seperate API that bears a syntax resemblance to OpenGL and shares features because, well, all 3D API's share features.

Amanichen said:

Too bad that he's wrong.

OpenGL came first, then 3dfx stripped it down (both in rendering capability, and visual quality), put their stamp on it and called it Glide.

Glide is a poor man's OpenGL -- that's why it ran so fast.

Are we stupid? It was directed towards 3dfx chipsets, it also was not a poor mans opengl, it did things opengl couldn't do.

First things first. OpenGL did not stem from Glide. Allthough Glide was good in it's day it went against industry standards and practices. IE if you didn't have a voodo , tough shit.

OpenGL was designed to run cross platform, hence the name"Open Graphics Library" and manufacturers were given the decision to include hardware rendering support on their cards. John Carmack has been a long-time member of the OpenGL architectural review board which gives OpenGL an advantage because card manufacturers like games, carmack = games, and Carmack creates his games using OpenGL.

OpenGL 2.0 will be on-par with DX10 and I'm not sure if the NV35 and R350 will support OpenGL2.0-specifics but hopefully. I'd doubt Carmack is hardcoding OGL2 into Doom3 as that would be too much too soon, however, OGL2 sits on OGL1 so eventually when all cards support OGL2 as standard, games can be written purely in OGL2 and anything less can be forgotten.

It was directed towards 3dfx chipsets, it also was not a poor mans opengl, it did things opengl couldn't do.

The great thing about OpenGL, it can do anything without even changing the API. Since there are manufacturer-extensions, OpenGL will always be the most up to date API, although the one problem lies in the fact that its not unified. Direct3D has the advantadge, but also there are no manufacturer-based extensions in it, which is why I favor OpenGL.

Glide got out of date pretty quickly as well, because 3Dfx did not update it that much, they were too busy "milking" one core for all that they could..

Dubh said:

First things first. OpenGL did not stem from Glide. Allthough Glide was good in it's day it went against industry standards and practices. IE if you didn't have a voodo , tough shit.

How is that significantly different than the Direct X mentality of "If you don't have Windows, tough shit?" ;)

It isn't different at all. Its the same damn thing.
Thats why I'm an OpenGL person. Anyway to code in DX
is alot more painful than in OpenGL. Thousands of lines of shit to render the simplest thing.