Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
halfdude

DoomGuy - Time Traveller

Another downside of "rule of cool" is when some things don't seem that cool. (even if this is subjective)

Dark Lord being Evil Doomguy lead to reactions like "shouldn't Satan be a more terrifying beast than the IOS" or "the gameplay doesn't even feel like you're fighting another Doomguy".

It's also easy to bring up how the Slayer may have been influenced by how fans started to treat Doomguy, as a way to make the marine "more epic than he is".

Maybe we're also looking too far into fan creations like fanart/mods or even when someone on r/Doom posts "DOOMSLAYER IS THE MOST EPIC CHARACTER EVERY,  HE COULD BEAT THANOS" or stuff like that.

It does make me think that Doom has a simple way to make up for the lore issues, unlike series that always had a universe.

It's why people ask "if there's a new Doom game, will it be a Doom 6/Eternal 2 or something else?" because in a way, yet another reboot is not out-of-field.

Maybe an arguement for Doom lore is that to make the series nerdier, even though Doom honestly already had one of the nerdiest fanbases.

4 hours ago, MemeMind said:

For example I believe that the Slayer being Doomguy from the classic games wasn't an idea in 2016, and just arrived because of the theories coming from the community.

I personally do not subscribe to that idea. He was trapped in Hell, just like he would be after deciding to stay after the events of Doom 64. Hayden literally says "You've played this game before." Doom 2016 may not have outright come and said it, but there were clear indicators that was the case.

40 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Another downside of "rule of cool" is when some things don't seem that cool. (even if this is subjective)

Dark Lord being Evil Doomguy lead to reactions like "shouldn't Satan be a more terrifying beast than the IOS" or "the gameplay doesn't even feel like you're fighting another Doomguy".

To me the Dark Lord situation smacks more of "we're stuck working from home with limited resources and a deadline" than any rule of cool logic.

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Come on, guys, leave him alone: he is just sharing his headcanon. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh for the love of God. This is well and truly beyond a joke. You really just do not get how forums work, do you? This is a place of DISCUSSION. If you do not want people to discuss your ideas and potentially negatively critique them, DO NOT POST THEM IN A PLACE OF DISCUSSION. No one is harassing this guy. No one is insulting him. We are discussing the ideas he voluntarily submitted and critiquing them. Honestly, if you or him cannot fathom this neither of you should be here. I really do not know what is so difficult to figure out about this but both of you seem to be struggling immensely with this quite simple concept. 

I just got done replaying Xaser's fantastic Doom: The Lost Episode and honestly I consider it the "real" Episode 5. SIGIL is nice, but The Lost Episode reimagines unused or Playstation exclusive maps in a way that makes the whole thing feel like the missing link between Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom II. If I were to make my own fan timeline, that is where I would put it, at least.

52 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Oh for the love of God. This is well and truly beyond a joke. You really just do not get how forums work, do you? This is a place of DISCUSSION. If you do not want people to discuss your ideas and potentially negatively critique them, DO NOT POST THEM IN A PLACE OF DISCUSSION.

Funny how he's always accusing other people of being the thought police, while at the same time telling everyone not to share their thoughts. Shits on a thread, pretends nothing happened, and then proceeds to post leftover brain farts that are barely related to the original topic.

Anyway, at this point id might as well go ahead and do the "all wads are canon" thing so people won't have to go through so much mental gymnastics to make all wads canon. In all honesty, even though I believe everyone is entitled to their own silly fun, this whole "headcanon" thing is one of the most annoying aspects of modern entertainment discussions. I see it as a waste of time: all the time spent looking for imaginary connections could be spent appreciating the things that are actually there.

What do you guys think of this lore video from Skyrionn? Does his interpretation of the Slayer's story and how all the games connect make sense?

On 10/17/2022 at 12:26 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

You put a lot more thought and effort into this than most other "lore folks", but you are oddly defensive about it, down to the fact that you're afraid of being labeled a "little brat zoomer who just played Doom Eternal and now thinks he's some big time doom fan". If it's just for fun, like you claim, why be like that? None of the people who responded were trying to be dickish about anything, I think it's just the fact that a lot of people are just bored with lore threads due to the fact that we get so many really dumb ones (for example, last week I read a post about how somebody thought they figured out the release date of the next DOOM game by looking at codex numbers in DOOM Eternal). I think that the best thing to do in a situation like this is to just say "I just did it for fun, I don't take it that seriously" and leave it at that. A lot of lore threads look like they were written by meth heads, so there might be a bit of a stigma - against lore threads, not meth heads.

How the hell is me not wanting to be assumed to be a 12 year old zoomer at ALL relate to me being defensive about my head canon?

I'm going explain this one more time before I give up and fuck off for another 14 years. I'm open to critique, by all means critique away, it might even help me find holes in my timeline I never thought of and force me to rethink some things. The responses that are annoying me are where people aren't even saying anything constructive and just leaving it as "shut up doom doesn't need a story." That's a lazy non argument.

I'll also point out that this thread has gone completely off the rails. It wasn't even about my head canon, I through that in on the side. The original topic was about the lore that Eternal itself created and how it doesn't even make sense unless Doomguy is traveling back in time.

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

What do you guys think of this lore video from Skyrionn? Does his interpretation of the Slayer's story and how all the games connect make sense?

As far as I'm concerned, I have much more respect for Dooms 1 through 64 than I do for the two modern games. Part of it is bias as they're the ones I grew up with yes. But I also have a hard time seeing all these new guys, Hugo, as truly ID. Call me a purest but as far as I'm concerned ID software died when the last of the founding members left and Bethesda swallowed it up. As said before I'm also not a fan of Hugo Martin direction he's taking series.

So with that said, I take the story for the original games in higher regards then the story in the recent 2. So as far as the codex entries I'll take whatever is in there that doesn't conflict with the previous games and leave the rest. As said before I hate needless 'reboots' and as much as I respect original ID software there was no need to make Doom 3 'as if Doom1 never happened.' as it doesn't even conflict with the plot of the original. If two games can exist parallel to each other then there's no need to say the newer one overwrites the previous.

I feel like that's what Doom 2016 tried to do too as it's codex says it's taking place in 2145 the same year Doom 3 took place. It's a needless attempt at writing Doom 3 out of the canon when they could have just as easily thrown any other year like 2256 or something out there. As I respect Doom 3 more than Doom 2016 I'm leaving that bit of the codex OUT.

19 minutes ago, halfdude said:

How the hell is me not wanting to be assumed to be a 12 year old zoomer at ALL relate to me being defensive about my head canon?

I'm going explain this one more time before I give up and fuck off for another 14 years.

Because it's degrading and insulting to the 12 year-old zoomers on Doomworld who have manners and will go on to do better things than yell at people over their headcanon. You're presenting a silly story you made up in your head and expecting people to critique it as if it is some important masterwork, and then calling them names right off the bat. You aren't looking for a conversation, you're looking for an argument.

Your story is great and wonderful and makes total sense, see you in 14 years.

6 hours ago, Chezza said:

Does his interpretation of the Slayer's story and how all the games connect make sense?

Having watched it, I think it is the most coherent presentation of the lore as it is known and I largely concur with it. Using the name "Doomguy" though made me a cringe a little. That's a fan made nickname, not mentioned anywhere.

4 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Because it's degrading and insulting to the 12 year-old zoomers on Doomworld who have manners and will go on to do better things than yell at people over their headcanon. You're presenting a silly story you made up in your head and expecting people to critique it as if it is some important masterwork, and then calling them names right off the bat. You aren't looking for a conversation, you're looking for an argument.

Your story is great and wonderful and makes total sense, see you in 14 years.

Calm down zoomer.

1. How is it insulting to zoomers by my desire not to be confused to be one? Are you so insecure as to get insulted that I don't want to be associated with you when I'm in my 30s?

2. Are you actually claiming to automatically make more of your lives by sheer awesomeness of being a zoomer and nothing else? lol

3. I didn't come here looking for an argument, more like: everyone here was immediately hostile towards me right off the bat and the act of defending myself in earned equal hostility somehow makes me the asshole.

Edited by halfdude

4 hours ago, halfdude said:

The responses that are annoying me are where people aren't even saying anything constructive and just leaving it as "shut up doom doesn't need a story." That's a lazy non argument.

You aren't addressing any actual constructive criticism either, rather you are selective in what you respond against. So i guess what most count as constructive you view as a lazy non argument

I wonder how you would respond if we didn't attempt to be constructive. Would that, in your eyes, be more constructive?

I am just trying to comprehend how your thought process goes. So far i am in Opposite World.

4 hours ago, halfdude said:

I'll also point out that this thread has gone completely off the rails. It wasn't even about my head canon, I through that in on the side. The original topic was about the lore that Eternal itself created and how it doesn't even make sense unless Doomguy is traveling back in time.

And just speaking from my own contribution, i've addressed your story with my own view. This has been so far ignored by you, as did subsequent responses where you felt convinced that i told you that you were butthurt when that was not the case.

18 minutes ago, halfdude said:

Calm down zoomer.

This is exactly why everyone in this thread is calling you on your attitude (and not so much your content). You aren't addressing things, but just reflecting.

If it took you 14 years to come up with a theory on headcanon and then the decision to just be snippy against anyone trying to discuss or criticize (Criticism isn't a negative thing!) your theories, then its time not well spent. But you do you.

2 hours ago, halfdude said:

Calm down zoomer.

1. How is it insulting to zoomers by my desire not to be confused to be one? Are you so insecure as to get insulted that I don't want to be associated with you when I'm in my 30s?

To be quite frank, I had initially assumed you were probably a Zoomer in your early 20's or so---not because of anything you said relating to Doom's lore, but because of how you seem to handle light-hearted forum banter and honest criticism. In your initial response (when you said everyone was being a dick) I sort of placed you as someone who just wasn't used to how people talk online. None of that is meant to be insulting, just something to take for reflection if you want.

I don't know why you're so concerned over what age people would assume you are anyway, but trust me, they'll read a hell of a lot more into that from your conduct and how you handle your ideas being rejected than they will over how you interpret the Doom lore.