Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peaved T-40

How much detail do you put into your architecture?

Everybody should try to make a 2-3 hour speedmap everynow and then, to focus and appreciate better what its esential in a map. Its a great shock treatment against the over detailing disease.

Personally it's neat that there are zillions of maps out there and maps that have almost no detail + maps that have a lot of it. 

I think you one should go for whatever they enjoy, because the Anthropic Principle of Mapping states that a map only exists if the author felt compelled to make it, finish it, and share it -- so who is anyone to suggest that putting tons of work into detailing is a "waste of time" (other than the person doing it). That's kind of toxic imo. Maybe someone only maps because they feel like piling shittons of detail in a map. Maybe someone finds detailing anathema and would not map if they had to. There are probably people who shift between both. Fair play to all. 

I usually put enough detail in my level to establish a clear location. More on this layer, not home at the moment :p

On 10/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, baja blast rd. said:

I think you one should go for whatever they enjoy, because the Anthropic Principle of Mapping states that a map only exists if the author felt compelled to make it, finish it, and share it -- so who is anyone to suggest that putting tons of work into detailing is a "waste of time" (other than the person doing it). That's kind of toxic imo. Maybe someone only maps because they feel like piling shittons of detail in a map. Maybe someone finds detailing anathema and would not map if they had to. There are probably people who shift between both. Fair play to all. 

Agreed. Just to clarify to anyone who may be interested: I said detailing is a waste of time for me, as an individual view of my own work - people have it's own interests in mapping and there's nothing wrong with it. Actually, I kinda like to garnish my maps in some way or another but I always gets lost in it, so it ends doing more harm than good at the end of the day.

Spoiler

On the other side, I think this can be a legit suggestion to people who may have problems with procrastination, anxiety or fadigue - which is also my case. I know how obsessive I can be on my maps, so letting that feeling go was the best thing I did on the last days lol

(Hopefully this can be helpful to other people as well)

Edited by Noiser

I have a limited amount of time, so while I appreciate a lot of the grand, visual mapsets, I personally shoot for somehwere around scythe 1 level of detail: more focus on architecture with some deliberate flourish

Yeah that is a good point and it's important to understand that visual design isn't some dichotomy between "good looking = high effort" and "not-as-good-looking = low effort" either.

For example Valiant and most of Ancient Aliens are on the simpler side in terms of visual construction. (Although many people interpret them as High Detail, which is because their tricks work. :P)  

On 10/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, Krankebok said:

Thanks man! I made it entirely with the doom's own stock textures, except the black keys are an black flat and sidedef i put in. The map itself is part of my own 32 level megawad i'm working on wich is now more or less half way finished.

*jaw drops*

Wow! I can't even imagine how to and how much work has gone into that! I was sure you had just made custom flats etc. Not that they'd be too easy either with vanilla resolutions and colors. I really hope to see your .wad someday if I'm still alive and able (being evicted without a place to go sucks).