Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychEyeball

This is the spooky season. What spooky WADs are there to play?

See title. Doom may not be the perfect game when it comes to horror, but it still can offer some spooks if you look at the right place. Right?

Last year, I ended up playing lilith.pk3 as a Halloween stream because well... watching Doom melt into a puddle in front of your eyes is indeed very scary. Another specific scary moment was Scythe 2's "Mr. X" where you are hunted by a super powered and turbo charged evil Doom marine, with close to no resources at hand.

But are there other WADs out here that focus more on the spooks and less on the bloody carnage? Let's all try to make Doom more scary this month.

22 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

but it still can offer some spooks if you look at the right place

yeah, like when you hear a cyberdemon walking around and the map is dark.

Edited by Zero Master's Clone

DPB28: Fear and Loathing. Goes heavy on the Doom 3 atmosphere and has some trippy moments. There's still plenty of action, but its balanced out with quieter, eerie moments that are quite effective. A great horror WAD in my eyes. 

Three spooktacular wads for Halloween:

Trick and Tear I: 

Trick and Tear II: 

Trick and Tear III: Zombie edition (in progress, RC1 will be released around Halloween)

CABIN.wad

Ad Mortem (Part 2 out soon, supposedly, too)

DBP 17: Alone

Pumpkin Hell

Preacher

There’s plenty out there if you do some digging.

I remember Lasting Light being a mix between Slenderman and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. It works with almost any map set, removing enemies, items and weapons, giving you nothing but a lantern with limited fuel, and plenty of jump scares while being stalked. Haven't played since it came out but it was fun for a minute.

Unloved and Maskim Xul are great recommendations. Will definitely try some of the others here!

edit: Oh! The Happy Time Circus series is another one I just thought of.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:29 PM, PsychEyeball said:

See title. Doom may not be the perfect game when it comes to horror, but it still can offer some spooks if you look at the right place. Right?

Last year, I ended up playing lilith.pk3 as a Halloween stream because well... watching Doom melt into a puddle in front of your eyes is indeed very scary. Another specific scary moment was Scythe 2's "Mr. X" where you are hunted by a super powered and turbo charged evil Doom marine, with close to no resources at hand.

But are there other WADs out here that focus more on the spooks and less on the bloody carnage? Let's all try to make Doom more scary this month.

love this.... I dont think i'll be partying too hard for H'ween given work commitments, but a cosy night in w doom / poss watching (or doing?!) a stream is  ideal. 

Check out our Halloween project, there's plenty of hard and spooky maps. :]