Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fai1025

[ DONE ] DOOMIUM: A Community Project for Short and Explosive maps (Boom Compatible)

1 hour ago, CthulhuChan said:

The textures look fun to work with

I'm up for it if that's alright :) 

I'm sorry but the slots are full rn

You can join in case of a pull off

Hey, given there are 10 days left, I decided to rush into UDB and fix some critical problems with the map in order to make it completable (such as, missing and out of place textures, and missing monster and/or player blocking lines). I rushed this version for playtesting, as I need to know how much time it takes players to beat the level considering it has 4 setpieces and I have ideas for at least 2 more in the areas that are currently empty*. I'm uploading this so I can focus on decorating while I get some feedback on the gameplay, this way it is more efficient to get everything done.

As a formality, I've tested this map in DSDA-Doom and GZDoom. The music is "On lockdown" by Jimmy, and, I still don't have a name for the map, though I'll have one for the finished version of the map. The zip file contains the map (in the MAP01 slot) and the MIDI

Up ahead is a list of things that I'm aware are left for me to do:

Spoiler

To-do:

- Align clearly misaligned textures I couldn't be bothered to align when rushing this early version of the map

- Hunt for less evident misaligned textures

- Add a beginning area with the required beginning portal so then you can be teleported to the room when this version starts

- Add difficulty settings

- Add multiplayer starts

- Add new or rebalance fights depending on how much time it takes to beat the map

- Add 2 missing textures I found when exiting the red key fight

- Add more decoration to areas

- Add more secrets

- Change some textures as to make areas look better

- Set obvious textures to be lower unpegged

- Fix a sky transfer misalignment

- Fix a possible softlock when you step back right as you trigger the linedef that closes the door of the room you start in

- Continue tweaking the hardest (red key) fight. I have figured out 2 strategies to beat it consistently, though I do need to make room for mistakes as to avoid punishing casual players too much.

* That is, the staircase leading up from the cathedral fight and the bridge leading to the exit portal

I encourage the use of saves in your first playthough and to please avoid using cheats. I'll keep an eye out for feedback and I'll get to fixing things as soon as I can.

PD: I changed the plasma sound so you can feel more comfortable using it. @fai1025 if you add this version to the alpha build, make sure to remove the DSPLASMA lump if you think it could mess up things.

Doomium_SharkyChip_MAP19_Beta.rar

Edited by SharkyChip : Added more details to the post and also ordered the list

@RED77

Pretty hardcore on Pistol-Start given you've only got an SSG to contend with overall, but otherwise a simple and exciting slaughter-lite map. Aside from maybe providing a little bit more health, I have no real gripes to speak of and I didn't notice any blatant errors. Nicely done, mate.

7 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@RED77

Pretty hardcore on Pistol-Start given you've only got an SSG to contend with overall, but otherwise a simple and exciting slaughter-lite map. Aside from maybe providing a little bit more health, I have no real gripes to speak of and I didn't notice any blatant errors. Nicely done, mate.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'll make some adjustments and Update the final version this week

Finally over with my MAP02! Give me constructive feedback for this, too easy? Too hard?

DOWNLOAD

Map name: Faster, faster!

Music: KnightriderOfDoom - Hyperloader

Originally made for RAMP 2022, but didn't finished it in time. Added more structures amd starting\main small hub place that connects all the maps.

It's a hopping adventure in various places around the universe, like a semi-abandoned techbase surrounded by sea, a small Evilution like fortress surrounded by toxic waste and mountains and a void outpost in space. Pretty linear, sorry.

18 hours ago, SharkyChip said:

Hey, given there are 10 days left, I decided to rush into UDB and fix some critical problems with the map in order to make it completable (such as, missing and out of place textures, and missing monster and/or player blocking lines). I rushed this version for playtesting, as I need to know how much time it takes players to beat the level considering it has 4 setpieces and I have ideas for at least 2 more in the areas that are currently empty*. I'm uploading this so I can focus on decorating while I get some feedback on the gameplay, this way it is more efficient to get everything done.

As a formality, I've tested this map in DSDA-Doom and GZDoom. The music is "On lockdown" by Jimmy, and, I still don't have a name for the map, though I'll have one for the finished version of the map. The zip file contains the map (in the MAP01 slot) and the MIDI

Up ahead is a list of things that I'm aware are left for me to do:

Reveal hidden contents

To-do:

- Align clearly misaligned textures I couldn't be bothered to align when rushing this early version of the map

- Hunt for less evident misaligned textures

- Add a beginning area with the required beginning portal so then you can be teleported to the room when this version starts

- Add difficulty settings

- Add multiplayer starts

- Add new or rebalance fights depending on how much time it takes to beat the map

- Add 2 missing textures I found when exiting the red key fight

- Add more decoration to areas

- Add more secrets

- Change some textures as to make areas look better

- Set obvious textures to be lower unpegged

- Fix a sky transfer misalignment

- Fix a possible softlock when you step back right as you trigger the linedef that closes the door of the room you start in

- Continue tweaking the hardest (red key) fight. I have figured out 2 strategies to beat it consistently, though I do need to make room for mistakes as to avoid punishing casual players too much.

* That is, the staircase leading up from the cathedral fight and the bridge leading to the exit portal

I encourage the use of saves in your first playthough and to please avoid using cheats. I'll keep an eye out for feedback and I'll get to fixing things as soon as I can.

PD: I changed the plasma sound so you can feel more comfortable using it. @fai1025 if you add this version to the alpha build, make sure to remove the DSPLASMA lump if you think it could mess up things.

Doomium_SharkyChip_MAP19_Beta.rar

ZdHSodV.png

bugs

I'll leave the reviewing part to Biodegradable

59 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Pretty linear, sorry.

no, don't sorry, I hate non-linear map sometimes, so linear is appreiated

1 hour ago, fai1025 said:

bugs

Huh, that doesn't happen to me and I don't know what could be causing it. What source port are you using?

Others who play the map, please let me know if this happens to you too (if it does, tell me what source port you're using too, please), or if you spot other HOMs

@Walter confetti Concise and sublime. A+ on-brand Walter map ;^)

@SharkyChip The big red skullkey fight is quite the ball buster lmao but not impossible even for a slaughter scrub like me. Pretty tough stuff all around, but it's a later map entry, so it's suitable hehe. I didn't notice and visual errors (ran it on GZDoom v4.9.0) or balancing issues. Good stuff, mate.

22 hours ago, SharkyChip said:

I rushed this version for playtesting, as I need to know how much time it takes players to beat the level considering it has 4 setpieces and I have ideas for at least 2 more in the areas that are currently empty*. I'm uploading this so I can focus on decorating while I get some feedback on the gameplay, this way it is more efficient to get everything done.

Here's a (mostly) FDA through what you have so far, recorded in DSDA Doom (-complevel 9) with the project DeHackEd loaded separately.

lc_doomium19.zip

First, a possible softlock. The door out of first big encounter (out of the room with the yellow bars, which I guess you could call the second arena) seems to have a DR line facing the wrong way, allowing the pinkies to run through and close the ceiling behind the door, making progression impossible, as the actual door will no longer open.

Second, regarding the visual error fai spotted: I also had it as well, and I'm confident this will occur for anyone using software rendering. If you are using OpenGL for all of your testing, these node-based visual errors won't appear, so you may want to set DSDA Doom to software rendering mode when testing. The error should vanish if you drag one of the two endpoints of that chunk of wall around a tiny bit, though it could appear in other places as you add more lines. I also noticed the rim of the doorway to the cyberdemon at the top of the stairs is untextured.

Regarding time, I was out in around 13 minutes, so adding two more setpieces of comparable size to the existing four should still keep you in a reasonable scope.

Regarding combat, check out the demo to see if things played out in a way you find satisfactory. The fight with the cyber at the top of the stairs went regrettably, but I made it out alive. The first two fights have some prone-ness to circle-strafe, though they're not totally without danger. Difficulty-wise, I think a full blind playthrough without dying is totally doable. The BFG is the part that's a bit of a toss-up, as the waves are liable to teleport in your face and rip it off in an instant if you're in an unlucky spot when they arrive. I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but it might be nice to highlight the BFG more starkly somehow, as I could have easily missed its arrival amidst the chaos.

I believe you said you are adding detailing as we speak, so I'll reserve any visual-related comments. My favorite setup was the cyberdemon staircase, despite how I approached it, and I'm interested to see what the other two arenas hold in store.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:51 PM, fai1025 said:

I'm sorry but the slots are full rn

You can join in case of a pull off

Yeah >.> I noticed after posting and kinda felt like an idiot haha 

I can just do one or two as extras in case or if peeps wanna check em out or something

I thought this might be a good way to get back into map-making and dust up on my skills 

Ok. 
Map 22 "Out of Hand" Version 2.0
MAP22_Out_of_hand_by_RED77_V2.wad

Changes:

-Difficult settings implemented
-Texture corrections (misalignments and misplacement)
-Custom music (Propagandhi - Back To The Motor League MIDI version)
-Dehacked name on the map
-Item Balance 

Tested on DSDA doom complevel 9.

DOWNLOAD

hi fai here

I compile another build of the project. this is Alpha version 1.0

Content: 

• Added all the available maps (01,02,06,07,08,11,14,19,21,22,23,25,31,32)
  • Update STBAR, add NinthBurn's STBAR as optional addon

Things not yet being done

• Rest of the maps
  • Fill out the txt file

for those who haven't submit the map yet please start packing up the map, Deadline is 7 days away

Edited by fai1025

On 12/3/2022 at 1:28 AM, Biodegradable said:

The big red skullkey fight is quite the ball buster lmao but not impossible even for a slaughter scrub like me. Pretty tough stuff all around, but it's a later map entry, so it's suitable hehe. I didn't notice and visual errors (ran it on GZDoom v4.9.0) or balancing issues. Good stuff, mate.

Thank you for playing the map and leaving your thoughts!

On 12/3/2022 at 1:30 AM, Large Cat said:

Here's a (mostly) FDA through what you have so far, recorded in DSDA Doom (-complevel 9) with the project DeHackEd loaded separately.

Many thanks for your comments and recommendations, especially the possible softlock you told me about. It never crossed my mind that it could happen so I'm glad you pointed it out early. I'm having trouble playing back the demo, though, it desyncs a little after pressing both switches in the second arena. I might be playing it back wrong though, so I ought to keep trying as I'm kind of new to this. I'm running it with "dsda-doom.exe -playdemo lc_doomium19.lmp -complevel 9", so, if there's a better way to do this, please let me know

I really appreciate the comments and I'll post the map again once it's finished, which will be sometime this week (probably thursday or friday). 

Sorry for not responding before - having a lot to do right now outside my Doom time.

So, this is map 16, 'Blood & Bones'. This is only my third map I ever created and it's my first publicly released map, so I'm a bit excited/nervous.

The midi is "Industrial" by Simon Judd, originally from Hellcore 2.0, although I took it from Sunder.

It's a map that starts in a high tech location and takes you through a canyon with lots of, well, blood and bones.

The map is not 100% finished, I still want to work a little bit on detailing and decoration, mainly in the starting area, but for now I'm happy with the gameplay and fights. So, now I would love some feedback, especially with regards to health and armor.

Edit: Difficulties are not yet implemented. I will do this after getting some feedback on how the difficulty is now.

Edit 2: removed the older version, see my next post

Edited by AdNauseam

Here is my map for this project: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9s0o6lyiuycbie/Doomium map30.zip?dl=0

I was initialy going to make a brand new and shinny map but a maths exam I have coming up in school is going to take up too much of my time for me to make one, so I decided to recycle an area I'll have in my upcoming doom1 megawad/community project called Cleanout that's currently in development instead.

I haven't came up with a name for it yet.

The music is the same as the one in Sunder map15. 

Edited by epicyolomaster420 : fixed typo

@AdNauseam

It might be a tad too hard given its map slot, but it's balanced fairly-well health/armour/ammo-wise. The opening room is definitely the biggest ball-busting setpiece, but it doesn't feel sadistic or anything. It's a bit hard to judge given you haven't balanced the difficulty levels yet, but if I'm to assume that where it is currently is essentially UV, then I think it's fine.

Just a heads-up, kids: I'm going to be largely unavailable for most of the month due to work. I've already let Fai know and hopefully some other people can volunteer their time to help out with playtesting the remaining alpha builds for all the maps. I should be able to dedicate more time to the WAD closer to Christmas when I take my annual 3 weeks off and can lend a hand playtesting the beta build(s) of the full WAD.

Edited by Biodegradable

On 12/5/2022 at 5:18 AM, Biodegradable said:

@AdNauseam

It might be a tad too hard given its map slot, but it's balanced fairly-well health/armour/ammo-wise. The opening room is definitely the biggest ball-busting setpiece, but it doesn't feel sadistic or anything. It's a bit hard to judge given you haven't balanced the difficulty levels yet, but if I'm to assume that where it is currently is essentially UV, then I think it's fine.

[video]

Thank you very much for the playthrough! Hm... you might be right that it could be a little bit too hard for Slot 16 but maybe I could change place with someone-else? Or maybe it isn't such a big problem because community projects sometimes have sudden difficulty spikes? 

Your playthrough was definitely very helpful. It was good to see that nothing broke, that all monsters teleported in, etc. Difficulty levels are now mostly implemented with reduced arch-viles and reduced general enemy count on the lower difficulties as well as more power-ups - but I'm still working on it.

I also put a supercharge on the column that lowers when you face the two arch-viles and spidermastermind, just to make sure that you don't have to encounter those on low health. The damaging floor at the end has also been removed and been replaced with a nice carpet instead:

Spoiler

Bild-2022-12-05-105821965.png

Regarding the first fight:

I was surprised to see that you were able to kill all the revenants and all the archviles! I didn't even realize that there was enough ammo to do this. I honestly used the archviles as a way to deter the player from killing the revenants, because my idea for the fight was that you evade the revenant projectiles left and right and just killed the imps and hell knights. And then you run up, smash the button and the revenants and arch-viles get crushed. The pillars even close up again so that no revenant or arch-vile can hurt you while they get crushed. I hoped that the fact that every revenant gets replaced by an AV would lead the suspicion or idea that you probably have to do something else. I now have put one more arch-vile into each pillar-teleporter-closet, because if one saw that killing the AVs would lead to even more AVs, then one probably would try something else, right? Or should I do something else to convey this?

I know that this leads to the fight being a little bit trial and error, and less straight-forward but I don't think that's too bad - I personally like having to try out a little bit before I "get" the fight.

EDIT: I now have made a little "tutorial" room in the beginning that hopefully introduces the idea a little bit better. I also revamped the starting area visually, so now there is a lot more texture variety. It even has two little rooms / cells / whatever, one with blood and one with bones!

doomium MAP16 blood & bones (final).rar

Edited by AdNauseam

@fai1025 Out of curiosity I've put my map into the map30 slot of Doomium to test it and I noticed a problem: The monster telefraging that map30 allows exclusively and that I didn't account for while designing the map makes the map kind of trivial as most of the monsters just telefrag each other. Is there any chance you could go into the project's dehacked file and turn this (monster telefrag's on map30) off ?

1 hour ago, epicyolomaster420 said:

@fai1025 Out of curiosity I've put my map into the map30 slot of Doomium to test it and I noticed a problem: The monster telefraging that map30 allows exclusively and that I didn't account for while designing the map makes the map kind of trivial as most of the monsters just telefrag each other. Is there any chance you could go into the project's dehacked file and turn this (monster telefrag's on map30) off ?

I don't think that's possible, since it's hard coded into the game

I think it's possible in MBF21, but not in Boom.

Maybe it's the best to use this map for a different slot and use a different map for slot 30?

A lot of interesting stuff can be done with monster telefrag enabled.

MAP10 is just about finished. Please let me know about any possible bugs or issues you may find.

Download

MAP10: Premonition

MIDI: "Starting Out" by Stuart Rynn (MAP15 of Plutonia 2)

Tested in PrBoom+

Map length: ~8-9 minutes long going for UVMAX (with saves)

Random facts because this map is pretty interesting to me (a little narcissistic):

Spoiler

- This map underwent a name change six name changes including "Ultramarine" (a deep shade of blue pigment), "Green Eggs and Blood" (when the map was still green themed), and "Memphis, TN" (??).

- This map also underwent a multitude of color-scheme changes, at one point even being completely hell themed.

- The original MIDI used was MAP09's MIDI, also from Plutonia 2. This was changed when I realized that MIDI sucks.

- I had to learn how to use sky transfers during this project and, as a running theme, the skybox changed at least fifteen times.

- The final name, "Premonition," was chosen just about five minutes before saving the map for the last time to upload. Its name was taken from Symphony X's self-titled album, which I was listening to while mapping.

- The solid black texture under some of the bridges to give the illusion of a solid shadow and a 3D bridge is one of my favorite effects in the map, even though it's so simple and likely to not be noticed.

- The ending was originally this massive Sunder-like area with monolithic architecture, but was scrapped due to not being flexible with the idea of Doomium's fast paced and explosive nature (and because of time).

Edited by Spineapple tea

hi fai here

the project deadline is just 4 days away, sorry for another ping, just friendly reminder

@Engired @EagerBeaver @knifeworld @russin @Kuro_mahoh @Large Cat @gamevoin @LPad @TheLippyServer @Astro X @RedBoule

Please at least post some progress of your map to make me know that you still in this project, especially russin, kuro_mahoh, LPad, RedBoule, gamevoin, and Astro X, you guys had been too quiet throughout the project.

Preferably, please turn in the map 1 or two days before the deadline so I can have more time compiling the file together and finalise the Wad.

Good Luck

5 hours ago, fai1025 said:

hi fai here

the project deadline is just 4 days away, sorry for another ping, just friendly reminder

@Engired @EagerBeaver @knifeworld @russin @Kuro_mahoh @Large Cat @gamevoin @LPad @TheLippyServer @Astro X @RedBoule

Please at least post some progress of your map to make me know that you still in this project, especially russin, kuro_mahoh, LPad, RedBoule, gamevoin, and Astro X, you guys had been too quiet throughout the project.

Preferably, please turn in the map 1 or two days before the deadline so I can have more time compiling the file together and finalise the Wad.

Good Luck

While we're on the topic of compiling:

If you can't find a way to turn off the monster telefrags for my map (map30) then I would like you to follow Ravendesk's suggestion and move it to a different slot. Due to it's difficulty I would also ask if it were to end up in a slot quite late on in the megawad (say between 25 and 29...).

It might even therefore be a good idea that you ask some of these mappers you've pinged for their inactivity to produce a map that is simultaneously difficult and makes use of the monster telefrag gimmick or something... (just a suggestion). 

8 hours ago, fai1025 said:

hi fai here

Good Luck

My map is almost done but I probably won't be able to finish it before this weekend. It will be done by the end of the week though.