Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron of Sigma

TCs/Mods with the most enemy species'

I've been working on my mod for EDGE, and while I was implementing monsters to it, a question rose in my mind:

Which mods or TCs for Doom/Heretic/Hexen do you know of that have the most monster varities[like a mod with 30+ species of monsters], and if you can remember them, exactly what enemies were added to them in addition to the existing Doom monsters? I'm sorta curious because my mod has around 80 monster species in it, and I was wondering what MODs or TCs come close to or surpass that much...

And yes, I'm probably crazy to have that many species in my mod, but it's my mod, oh well.

EDGE mod? What's it called(hompage too)?

As for 30+ enemies, the final release of Desert Warrior will have 30+ baddies and NPC's(probably weapons too). How do I know? It's me and Lurker's(and more hopefuls') project! As for now, though, the demo will have about 8, not including you and your bot-controlled team. It's only going to be 3 maps though, so that's why.

When can we expect a release for this mod, and what are a few examples of your huge number of species?

And I thought I had a lot of enemies in mine, which turns out to be a mere 25 or so (with a couple of them yet to be completed).

My Cacodemon Squad MOD, if it ever comes out in full, will have about 30 species of enemies (some normal DOOM enemies changed and also counting boss enemies), and probably much more.

http://www.zxdware.net/ebdoom - link to page

Note that the latest version isn't up, so most of my recently added monsters are not in it right now.

However, perhaps I'll take some time to reopen my screenshots section and add recent shots.

As for the enemy species in mine, most of them are not totally new species, but are actually enemies imported from other 2D Doom/Build engine games, although a few enemies are also from other things as well, such as the Chainsaw Trooper is from Epdermious Emporium, and the Missile Ranger Zombie is from Obtic.wad and terrorist.wad, but I wanted some new human variations.

If you really want a listing of my enemy species, here are most of them[and the bosses do not offically count as species to me, since you usually fight them only once per game, so there's actually 8-10 more enemies that aren't commonly found in the game]. Note that I include the original Monsters on this list, and most of the game imported monsters have been modded as close to their original versions as possible[like the Duke/SW monsters]:

Doom/Doom based monsters:
Zombieman
Chainsaw Zombieman*
Missile Ranger Zombie*
Shotgun Guy
Imp
Demon
Chaingun Dude
SS Nazi
Spectre
Cacodemon
Baby Cacodemon[little Cacodemons smaller than the height of your knee that techinically don't attack you unless you attack them first, and take less hits, but their fireballs are light and very fast]*
Momma Cacodemon[huge Cacodemons twice the size of an average Cacodemon, usually seen with a flock of Babies when found. Much stronger and can easily kill a Baron with 2-3 of their fireballs]*
Lost Soul
Knight of Hell
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell Ghost[based off the Baron in allhell.wad, because he looked like he could be a ethereal baron that could fly. They also resurrect monsters like Archviles and go through walls]*
Pain Elemental
Revenant
Arachnotron
Archvile[and they can also resurrect higher monsters, including bosses at the moment, although that will likely be fixed, and even other Archviles]
Spider Mastermind
Cyberdemon[a little different in his attack method now, too]
Super Cyberdemon[sprite are from allhell.wad also, but he is much bigger, can fire rockets in two, and has relentless aim unless you leave his sight]

Heretic/Heretic based monsters:
Gargoyle
Gargoyle Leader
Golem
Golem Ghost
Nitrogolem
Nirtogolem Ghost
Undead Knight
Undead Knight Ghost
Disciple
Iron Lich
Gold Lich[new variation of the old iron lich, made by Cacodemon Leader for me as a new enemy. Spits out Bom-ombs, breaths fire, I guess like the Blood lich, even though I don't think he meant to copy off the Blood Lich intentionally, and he can use standard lich attacks]*
Weredragon
Sabreclaw
Maulotaur[their flamesnakes can now go airborne, and some can seek you ala revenant missiles]
Maulotaur Ghost[can fire 3 varities of spreading hammer shots, and can go through solid things and walls]*
Orphidian

Hexen/Hexen based monsters:
Afrit[also in sphere form]
Ettin
Green Chaos Serpent[his fire moves twice as fast as in Hexen]
Brown Chaos Serpent[his gas also travels 2x faster than in Hexen]
Dark Bishop[he'll even phase around, and has a new variation of jade, and he can phase while firing, which makes him tougher]
Death Wyvern[he no longer runs on a track system, thus he can chase you freely, his fireballs are even more dangerous than before, and he's even more relentless and hateful towards other actors]
Reiver[unfortunately they don't rise from the ground as of now :(]
Heresiarch[he cannot shield, nor are his cubes visibly spinning around him, but he can use his jade, can summon in Bishops OR Disciples as well, can shoot his bouncing skulls, and will drop his explosive mana cubes upon death]

(Stalkers and Stalker Leaders won't appear since EDGE doesn't yet support a changeheight command for things, and because of the way you can use Extrafloors for Underwater places)

Duke Nukem 3D/Duke Nukem based monsters:
(note that not all of the enemies here are implemented yet, so more will appear on this list in the future)
Assault Trooper
Assault Captain[will also teleport(sorta)]
Pigcop
Recon Patrol Vehicle
Enforcer[he can even jump although it's buggy :P]
Sentry Drone
Assault Commander
Battlelord Jr.
Battlelord
Overlord Jr.*
Overlord
Cycloid Jr.*
Cycloid Emperor

Shadow Warrior/Shadow Warrior based monsters:
(note that not all of the enemies here are implemented yet, so more will appear on this list in the future)
Brown Evil Ninja
Red Evil Ninja
Orange Evil Ninja
Gray Evil Ninja
Green/Shadow Evil Ninja
Coolie
Coolie Ghost(they can also phase in and out of your sight)
Guardian
Hornet[they're resized to the size of bees, so they're harder to see, and they're meant as regular bees and not hornets yet]
Koi[usually only seen in the water]
Serpent God Spawn
Serpent God Fully Grown[they don't spawn Accursed heads in a circle due to the engine, but to make up they shoot four shots instead of two]
Sumo Trainee[can set you on fire, but it works a little like an Archvile's fire, and if you leave their sight you won't take damage, they will fart when they die, though]
Sumo Wrestler, Fully Trained[they can stomp the ground and hurt you, can throw heads at you, can use their wall napalm, and can also fart when they die]

Unique Monsters:
Potheads[imported from School Doom by Arsenic Software]
Possessed Science Teacher[imported from School Doom by Arsenic Software]
Freakcrappoo[unique species given to me by Cacodemon Leader again, an even worse form of them appears in his MOD, and FCPs also appear in 3 sizes]
Clones[over time, you're character will encounter clones of him/herself. They're are 3 variations, each of them with stronger attacks and more armor to allow them to last in battle. Note that some clones are also allies, and not enemies, and that it's hard to tell them from the enemy versions]
D'Sparil on Beast
D'Sparil [on foot]
Korax[can even use other monsters attacks from the other games... he also phases around like the Bishop to make up for lack of teleport spots]
Eidolon[yes, he IS in this game, and when I get the screenshots back up, I have some of me fighting him to put up. He is a bit choppy in animation though, but I like the concept of battling all three Riders at once, so I just had to add the big E to the game.]
Cyberdemon Lord Babel[another unique enemy that can be explained as a Cyberdemon/Megaman crossover type. Based off the CD2000 MD2, and converted to sprite form by Cacodemon Leader again, this guy redefines "walking armory", except on the wrong side >:D Has appoximately 13 different types of attacks, which I will leave to you to find out]

Also, I won't totally ruin this part, but there are also ally things in the game, ranging from summoned monsters, good clones, and even imported player types from Heretic, Hexen, Duke3D, SW, and more. Also you can even get Doomguy as an ally, and he can use all of his weapons, however as with most helpers, he's not too intelligent yet... :\

Also, you run on an HP system in EB Doom, not a percentage system, so most attacks do more damage to you then you expect, and also, this doesn't necessarily make Doomguy or the other helpers look like weaklings, as they also have extended HP levels. Doomguy has around 1600 HP for example, compared to your character's 332.

ravage: Paula is the name of the currently-only playable character in the game. However, hopefully EDGE will someday implement Hexen-style multi-character support, and then I can add 3 other characters I have planned for it.

Anyways, sorry for the HUGE-arse post, but someone asked me about the enemy species in the game, so I answered :P

EDIT: One more thing: The Bossbrain Spawncubes are also modified, so they can actually spawn many of these enemies[but not name specific ones like Babel, D'Sparil, etc] at random, instead of just the old Doom/Doom2 foes

EDIT 2: Well, if you go to the page now, those screenshots are up for you to see. Around 33 of them.

EDIT 3: Just updating those who vaugely give a care that as of this point, there will be even more monsters[most of the new italized names] in the next beta when it comes out.

Impressive load of monsters you`ve got there...

Shadow Warrior/Shadow Warrior based monsters:
Coolie[they don't spawn ghosts YET, but that's planned later]

Coolie is a racist term which can be interpreted as offensive by some people. It`s like the "n-word" for easterners so you might want to change it...

Good luck with your project

ravage said:

What's a Paula? :P

I know one. She's pretty hot too.

m0l0t0v said:

Impressive load of monsters you`ve got there...

Coolie is a racist term which can be interpreted as offensive by some people. It`s like the "n-word" for easterners so you might want to change it...

Ah. It's actually what that SW enemy's called, oddly enough.

Baron of Sigma said:

Well, if you go to the page now, those screenshots are up for you to see. Around 33 of them.

"Freakcrappoos" and "Potheads"?

Otherwise, a very nice overview of your enemies. Put together some good level design and gameplay, and you'll get yourself a winner.

ReX said:

"Freakcrappoos" and "Potheads"?

Otherwise, a very nice overview of your enemies. Put together some good level design and gameplay, and you'll get yourself a winner.

They are the less vulgar versions of the more swear-happy versions of themselves found in Cacodemon Squad and one flash animation called 1234567890f***s***p***. The less-or-not vulgar versions still shoot fireballs, and can and will SMAAAAASH you upclose, and it's also possible they do a more powerful SMAAAAASH that will wreck you.

If you ever face one of those in EBDooM, they won't cause trouble as long as you stay away from them. They're worse in Cacodemon Squad though.

m0l0t0v: Yes, the Coolie actually is referring to a specfic monster from Shadow Warrior:

Quoted from the offical page at 3DR:

"Coolie: These unskilled asian workers pose little threat from long distances, but fear them at short range. They carry a wooden crate filled with TNT and will make kamikaze runs at you when you get close enough. You can use their explosive nature to destroy other enemies as well. "

They can also spawn 'ghost' upon their death. Quoted from 3DR:

"Coolie Ghost: Not content with attacking you once, some Coolies will spawn a specteral ghost after they make their great sacrifice. These apparitions will float around phasing in and out of existence, taking time out to heave nasty gobs of bloody goo at you."

BTW, I didn't realize it was a racial term until you told me. I guess this was an example of 3DR's asian stereotyping that people said about it. :\

ravage: Well, truth is, originally, I wasn't planning to have all those monsters in EB Doom, but possibly a unnamed future EDGE mod, which in a way would be a mass-multi-monster mod, like weapons mods ala Immortal Conduct, except using a lot of monsters. However, Cacodemon Leader helped me with parts of EB Doom's current story: the Serpent Riders are resurrected and initate a massive strike against Earth, using all sorts of lower armies of beings they subverted[like the Doom monsters, Duke's alien foes, and Zilla's armies, in addition to the Heretic/Hexen monsters] to attack from virutally every angle to assure victory. The Serpent Riders had always been viewed as very manipulative creatures, so who's to say they couldn't recruit these other foes to their own forces? Like Zilla in SW, the Riders have become far more corrupted than ever with control, just as Zilla had been with power.

There will be some Demons, Aliens, Mutants and other monsters that rebel against the riders' control during the course of the game[if it ever get completed], and most will even go as far as allying with you if it means stopping them. In truth, the original demons[the rebels] in Doom aren't terribly mean towards humans since their defeat at Doomguy's hand, and the last tribes on Earth are trying to hang on[like the Orcs in WC3 after WC2:TDP] in life.

BTW, 'Potheads', to answer the other part of ReX's question, were an enemy I forgot to mention. If anyone remembers the old School Doom mod by Arsenic Software, this is the source of the Pothead, and also one other unmentioned enemy, the Deathking. If you have played SD, Potheads are different in attack style from SD, as they can sway as they fight and walk, sometimes dodging your attacks by luck, or totally missing you with his double-barrled paintball gun as he fires. He's also a bit tougher to kill. Deathkings can fire rockets in 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 10s, or toss lit Bom-ombs at you. He's not as hard to beat though, because while he is still fast, your current character is a lot faster than the average Doom player[equivilant to -turbo 255, except set in DDF], especially with Auto-Running on.

EDIT: Another thing I should note is that the player can also gain a HEALING power that can restore some of their health for a cost of some of their PK, which replaces Shells. That also makes me wonder if anyone has made a 'healing' weapon before?

My upcoming release of version two of ICD-Lizard has about a couple of brand new enemies and buddies along with civies! Oh and also the Lizard War enemies have some small tweaks to them so I guess they count as being new enemies.

Sorry to post again here, but I wanted to assure that everyone interested in EB Doom takes note that Beta 6.5 was just uploaded moments ago, so if anyone wants to try it out, go ahead. Let me know if any vital files are missing, if any are. I tend to usually miss a file when I first upload my betas and have to reupload it. It's 21.5 MB though zipped, so it's quite big. :\

What the hell??

Why has no one mentioned Batman doom? That has like a million monster species, and without EDGE's DDF.

Hyena said:

Why has no one mentioned Batman doom? That has like a million monster species, and without EDGE's DDF.

22, including the player(batman) himself. In terms of art that's a lot, but in terms of enemies, today that's almost nothing(and compared to the enemies above, I don't know anymore). Although batman doom was excellent. I just hope, because there are so many enemies, that they won't all be low quality.

In desert warrior, in the final release, there'll be about 30-40 dudes, plus team bots, all with great effects and hi-res scaled sprites, and with many different deaths, and weapon-specific effects and such.

The term "coolie" came around in the 1800s when the Westerners started trading with China. There were very few who knew Chinese so there was a system of broken Chinese in port cities like Canton, and Hong Kong. Coolie was the term for a laborer, so originally there wasn't anything wrong, per se, about it.

Hey Baron, I downloaded your beta last night and the mod barely works. the weapons aren't working except for the new spawning weapons (plasma rifle thingy, bfg, and rocket launcher). You're also missing alot of sprites. And I also can't play any of the new levels.

Baron of Sigma said:

EDIT: Another thing I should note is that the player can also gain a HEALING power that can restore some of their health for a cost of some of their PK, which replaces Shells. That also makes me wonder if anyone has made a 'healing' weapon before?

Technically yes. Cory Whittle's Don's Challenge lets you have cigs which gradually heals your health. I dunno what the bottle of whiskey(?) does though...

Lizardcommando: Did you make sure to look over the entire readme file first? Cacodemon Leader downloaded it and had no problems, so I know nothing's missing from the zip file. If you didn't get to read the whole file, I'll just paste the how-to-install part here:

"1. Get the ZIP file. If you are reading this, you most likely have already done so. :P

2. Make sure you at least have the central DooM2 IWAD.

3. Make a new directory for EB DooM. Then copy the DooM2 IWAD to your new EB DooM directory.

3(varies). If you have both DooM1 and DooM2 on the same computer, copy the DooM1 IWAD into your EB DooM directory. If you have just DooM2 then don't worry about moving any wads around.

4. Unzip EDGE-1.27-win32.zip into the EBDooM directory. EDGE is the engine source port EB Doom was made with and EB Doom will not work without it.

5. Unzip ALL the other files into the EB DooM directory, make sure edge.cfg is unzipped AFTER step 4, so the correct button configs can be used.

6. This next step is IMPORTANT:
a.) If you have only DooM2 and DON'T have GL support, run EBDooM2.bat
b.) If you have only DooM2 and DO have GL support, run EBDooM2GL.bat
c.) If you have only DooM2 AND DooM1, and DON'T have GL support, run EBDooM21.bat
d.) If you have only DooM2 AND DooM1, and DO have GL support, run EBDooM21GL.bat

7. Makes sure all the GWA files[GL-Node WADs] are in the same directory as their name respective .WAD files[except EBDoomB6.wad, which has none], so it will use the best of the GL-Nodes EDGE can offer."

Make sure your Doom2 IWAD is in the new EB Doom directory, and to play Doom1 with it, make sure you have the Doom IWAD in the EB Doom directory, and are the DDFs in the central EB Doom folder? I don't see how you could be having problems when Cacos didn't have any[he sorta works with me on this mod, so he's a tester for it]

Anyways, hope that helps :\

Lizardcommando said:
[...]I dunno what the bottle of whiskey(?) does though...

Gives you armour. (I guess it's ment to be like stamana or somthing)

Lizard: I've just uploaded EB Doom Beta 6.51... I forgot to add the .bat files, but Cacos had the old ones, so he could still play it o_O

Anyways, the reason I'm just putting up 6.51 is because I fixed the bouncing on the Heresiarch's skulls and they bounce correctly now, and the Pothead and Deathkings have been modified a little more as well. You'll have to redownload the mod, and that also applies to anyone else who downloaded it before :\

Sorry about this, and thanks to Cacos to pointing the .bat thing out to me.

I'll post this now, but it'll be around 20 minutes before the new zip file is fully uploaded, so please be paitent so no one gets an incomplete zip file :\