Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

re-release Harmony

Adore Harmony. I’m so excited to play this spruced up version! Now I have to get through my work day knowing this is waiting for me!

Wow, that's freaking awesome news! Harmony is such a cool mod and totally deserve to be officially recognized.

Congrats!

Honestly surprise to see Harmony as an official add on the Unity Doom port since it's a ZDoom TC 😯?!

Amazing news! I always wanted to see a fully compatible version of this mod and the sprite resolution was the only thing that needed address. That also means we have a new DOS compatible game, together with Rekkr, Hacx and Chex Quest :-)

On 10/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, Philnemba said:

Honestly surprise to see Harmony as an official add on the Unity Doom port since it's a ZDoom TC 😯?!

Harmony is vanilla "at its core", only the music and sprite resolution are taken by ZDoom (originally).

Edited by Noiser

Neat! The hi-res sprite always rubbed me the wrong way in the original release. Didnt say I expected this as the next official add-on

I've never actually played Harmony. Will check this out.

Always cool to see the Unity port get basically new fps games like this and REKKR within the port of an old fps game like Doom. Seems like a good investment for console and mobile players

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

So I need to re-buy Doom again to get this?

If you own Doom on Steam or GOG you should have the rerelease port.

If not, well then, yeah, I guess so. It's only like $5 though.

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Will the original release be updated with the new levels and monster?

To add to this/ rephrase this, will the new release also become available as a standalone WAD?

I got the Unity port on GOG for free since I owned the original releases, but I can't actually run it on a x86 OS.

The effort to do the conversion seems minimal.

Here's a slightly edited version of the wad with the following changes:

- Added GAMEINFO (for GZDoom launch identification)

- Enhanced DEHACKED (added map titles so non-Unity ports can use them)

- Widescreen versions of STBAR and BOSSBACK included

Everything else remains unchanged. Since Unity addons are technically all IWADs which contain all game assets, this should also launch fine without requiring any IWAD. (For insiders: Yes, I restored the IWAD file flag after editing this in SLADE.)

*NOTE*

D/L link removed.

Edited by NightFright

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

Everything else remains unchanged. Since Unity addons are technically all IWADs which contain all game assets, this should also launch fine without requiring any IWAD. (For insiders: Yes, I restored the IWAD file flag after editing this in SLADE.)

harmony_non-unity.zip

It seems that Woof has a palette issue if run with -iwad harmony.wad, since I don't have access to the original .wad I can't determine if it's also present there, but I doubt it's caused by any changes you have made.

Haven't tried other ports yet.

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

harmony_non-unity.zip

Just a note: If you want to play this with GZDoom, use '-file', not '-iwad'!

This still gets identified as the old Harmony and does not set things up correctly if launched as an IWAD.

Maybe current ports still need some adjustments before this will run properly as a standalone version. Anyway, I surely did not mess with the palette (which is also slightly different from harm1.wad, btw - indices 0 and 234 have been changed).

Since we are doing this, i am just going to let it out: @OpenRift and perhaps @t.v.: How far gone would a geniune DOS version be? Considering that, unlike REKKR, this was originally a ZDoom game i'd reckon there is way too much involved so it escapes the confines of the vanilla basement. 

EDIT: Oh wow, you mad lad:

Loading up the Xbox One port yesterday to pass a little time while waiting for another game to update and seeing Harmony on the release list was pretty neat, never expected to see it on this port because of the hi-res sprites.

I haven't played this since it was originally released, forgot how tightly balanced the ammo was. I'm playing on HMP and it feels like I can't miss a single shot or I won't have enough ammo to deal with all the monsters. I even ran out of pistol ammo at one point.

If this version can be run on the Unity port, then could it also be run on other non-ZDoom ports (DSDA, Woof, PRBoom-Plus, Crispy, etc.)?

EDIT: @NightFright apparently made a version that can be run on non-ZDoom or non-Unity ports, might check it out then! :)

The addon wad already works just fine on dsda-doom (I used it as my secondary testing port while doing DEH tinkerings) -- the missing map names in the DEH are an unfortunate oversight but it would be much better to post a patch fix wad instead of distributing a hacked up version of the entire IWAD. That's like editing doom2.wad to fix a sprite.

In theory it should work as-is in any limit-removing port, but some ports may need some time to fix up some accidental assumptions (palette indices, IWAD detection stuff for gzdoom). It's barely been 24 hours -- give folks time to update things before assuming it's permanently broken.

On that note, I'd been planning on pitching an update to the wad to t.v. to clean up some rough parts that were left alone since the deadline was looming (leftover doom2 sprites, etc.), but I'm sure everyone involved is tired of looking at the wad right now, so it'll take some time.

Xaser is right, ofc. It was overkill to post the entire iwad again when just a few assets have been either edited or added. Actually it's rather problematic since it still contains tons of needless Doom 2 assets. Mainly did it because rzh seemed to have no access to it otherwise, at least that's what I understood.

Technically the Unity release already works as-is (besides any eventual port-related issues). You'd just be missing level names on the automap since those are only in DMAPINFO. The rest is bonus stuff. Considering that, I didn't really "make it work", but rather applied some cosmetic changes.

Here is the whole thing as a small patch pwad (contains 4 lumps: GAMEINFO, DEHACKED with map names, BOSSBACK and STBAR in 426x200) which can just be loaded on top of the harmony wad:

harmony_fix.zip

Edited by NightFright