• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Harmony: Standalone/DOS Edition!

13 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Noclip 1 = tvclippers

Noclip 2 = tvclip

May I know what the difference of these two is, if any? Just curious.

I literally just asked in the Harmony re-release thread if a DOS port would be possible all things considered, and here you are, properly using Doom32!

Ill reference this on the wiki when i get home.

This is amazing. No legit.

@OpenRift Any way i can make these executables more permanently hosted for you? 

I am now also legit curious if older stuff like the Astrostein Trilogy or WolfenDoom can be turned standalone aswell, considering they have a lot of custom assets.

@MrFlibble I would absolutely love to see stuff like this mentioned on the DOS game sites you frequent + Mobygames, which you also frequent. Harmony, REKKR, HACX, they deserve to be known as new standalone DOS games.

@viti95 @kgsws i'd love to see how this runs on a 486/pentium!

Edited by Redneckerz

thank you OpenRift!

so to load this as a pwad in prBoom/dsda instead of using the dos executable, one should use the following launch parameters, correct?

-iwad DOOM2.WAD

-complevel 2

-file HARMONY.WAD 

-deh HARMONY.DEH (to override the embedded lump, which is missing the level names)

1 hour ago, user76828904 said:

The people on this forum work fast.

Never underestimate the more niche side of our community.

2 hours ago, taufan99 said:

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I literally just asked in the Harmony re-release thread if a DOS port would be possible all things considered, and here you are, properly using Doom32!

Ill reference this on the wiki when i get home.

This is amazing. No legit.

@OpenRift Any way i can make these executables more permanently hosted for you? 

I am now also legit curious if older stuff like the Astrostein Trilogy or WolfenDoom can be turned standalone aswell, considering they have a lot of custom assets.

@MrFlibble I would absolutely love to see stuff like this mentioned on the DOS game sites you frequent + Mobygames, which you also frequent. Harmony, REKKR, HACX, they deserve to be known as new standalone DOS games.

@viti95 @kgsws i'd love to see how this runs on a 486/pentium!

You're welcome to host it wherever you please (as long as you give credit :P), though keep in mind it's not done with updates quite yet, since I still need to finish my playthough and fix any texture-related issues among other things.

As for how it'll run on real DOS hardware, given that it's running on Doom32, it requires 32MB of RAM for it to save games without crashing if I recall. 

As for Astrostein and WolfenDoom, perhaps I'll have a look at those one day, though I think the thing about Rekkr, HacX and Harmony is that those were already IWADs more or less, so I had a lot of the work cut out for me in terms of getting them working standalone.

2 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

thank you OpenRift!

so to load this as a pwad in prBoom/dsda instead of using the dos executable, one should use the following launch parameters, correct?

-iwad DOOM2.WAD

-complevel 2

-file HARMONY.WAD 

-deh HARMONY.DEH (to override the embedded lump, which is missing the level names)

That is correct! I was actually looking into making a separate PWAD release which includes an extra WAD with the widescreen Assets as well (tho I should probably update the internal DEHACKED lump as well for this one too).

1 hour ago, user76828904 said:

The people on this forum work fast.

This was honestly something I'd been meaning to do for a while, I was just hesitant to do so since the original harm1.wad had much higher res sprites, which are only really friendly with ZDoom-based ports. Thankfully with the unity version I was able to much more easily make it playable in vanilla-esque environments!

7 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Never underestimate the more niche side of our community.

DOS or die! 🤘

3 hours ago, taufan99 said:

They essentially do the exact same thing, but in vanilla Doom there's two noclip commands: idspispopd and idclip. They're essentially the same thing but IDCLIP was added in Doom II (probably because it's less of a mouthful to type lol).

9 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

You're welcome to host it wherever you please (as long as you give credit :P), though keep in mind it's not done with updates quite yet, since I still need to finish my playthough and fix any texture-related issues among other things.

Ill wait till you are finished :)

As for how it'll run on real DOS hardware, given that it's running on Doom32, it requires 32MB of RAM for it to save games without crashing if I recall. 

It allows larger levels to be loaded and load times to be reduced, but i figure it can run on less, like 16 MB. I'd wager Doom32 (and Harmony) require more than a 486, so my guess is that a Pentium 60 with ET4000 VGA will probably run this fine.

As for Astrostein and WolfenDoom, perhaps I'll have a look at those one day, though I think the thing about Rekkr, HacX and Harmony is that those were already IWADs more or less, so I had a lot of the work cut out for me in terms of getting them working standalone.

These are relatively standalone aswell, and most assets are changed. Perhaps Freedoom as an IWAD may help?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I need to cool it down a bit.

Like I just said in the announcement thread:

... There was already a plan to make a more compatible version. It seems people really want one :-)

There is no deadline, but it will come. Just enjoy the current release for now.

Furthermore I would like to point out that I do not own the sound effects in the Unity release. They are property of id Software/ Bethesda.

Officially I cannot redistribute them, so neither can anyone else.

The 'compatible version' will contain new sfx.

So please stop distributing 'copies' of this release.

You seem to know your way around the technical limitations of Doom, so I might contact you for help on the compatible version :-).

4 minutes ago, t.v. said:

You seem to know your way around the technical limitations of Doom, so I might contact you for help on the compatible version :-).

Damn... So should I take down the links in the meantime?

Damn... So should I take down the links in the meantime?

Yes, please.

It is ok to make test versions for yourself and testers, but do not make it publicly available.

No hard feelings.

Oh, and about the ENDOOM... I like mine better :-P

ansi.harmony.rabotik_com.png.c77c037d8f02e43db394b1b9d2991355.png

54 minutes ago, t.v. said:

Yes, please.

It is ok to make test versions for yourself and testers, but do not make it publicly available.

No hard feelings.

Oh, and about the ENDOOM... I like mine better :-P

ansi.harmony.rabotik_com.png.c77c037d8f02e43db394b1b9d2991355.png

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh I don't think I saw this one, sick!

23 hours ago, t.v. said:

Having Harmony on DOS will be amazing for retro gamers out there, and it being re-released in this matter for both Unity and DOS soon makes a classic total conversion even more of a classic :)

By the way, sick ENDOOM :)

I am still working on it, but I have other priorities, so it is going very slowly :-/.

The plan is to make it compatible with most ports. I don't think it will be 100% vanilla due to all the visplanes.

If all goes well it should be ready February 2023, but I make no promises.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, t.v. said:

I am still working on it, but I have other priorities, so it is going very slowly :-/.

The plan is to make it compatible with most ports. I don't think it will be 100% vanilla due to all the visplanes.

If all goes well it should be ready February 2023, but I make no promises.

Well, that ought to be rather soon at this stage :)

Well... February is out of the picture.

The past 2 months I didn't have any time to work on this.

I hope to find some time in March/ April.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:02 PM, t.v. said:

Sucks, because people could have tried the original OpenRift on native hardware and see how that fared. Just gotta wait a little longer.

17 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Sucks, because people could have tried the original OpenRift on native hardware and see how that fared. Just gotta wait a little longer.

"The original OpenRift"

On 2/24/2023 at 1:02 PM, t.v. said:

Obviously this came to pass :)
Since i am one of those fools who loves new games on DOS, what is the status? I know the original release got removed quickly at your behest and i obviously prefer a version by the man himself, (Even more so if it runs as stock as possible, so not Doom32) but yeah, would love testing this out and see what it actually needs on legacy hardware.

Soooo.... I'm still working on it, albeit it slowly.

Currently there is no deadline. It will get done eventually.

Thank you for your patience!  

On 6/19/2023 at 8:47 PM, t.v. said:

Soooo.... I'm still working on it, albeit it slowly.

Currently there is no deadline. It will get done eventually.

Thank you for your patience!  

Is there anything me or OpenRift can assist you with? What's the hurdle besides the obvious (Namely DOs)? :)

The biggest hurdle was limited free time. But it is almost ready now.

I am on holiday now. Before I left, I made a version that runs in MS-DOS with Doom32.exe and (in theory) all limit removing ports. I even got it to run on Nintendo Wii 😀.

When I return, I will fully test it. It 'should' be ready August 2023!