Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
markanini

Fake software look in recent games

On 10/25/2022 at 8:14 AM, Graf Zahl said:

The mere existence of this thread proves my point. If you make a game that looks out of sync with current tastes you will have to be prepared to get negative responses.

not really, you'll get negative responses no matter what you do. hell, you of all people should know that, considering you're the lead dev of doom's most popular source port

6 hours ago, HeatedChocolate said:

This is why we should bring back the late 2000s-mid 2010s brown color scheme and piss filter, EVERYBODY knows that was the height of graphics!

7th Gen was a nadir of gaming matched only by the 80s Dark Age in the States and graphics were honestly a big part of it. The 360 and PS3 honestly did not really have the horsepower to drive Full HD gaming at reasonable framerates at the fidelity executives demanded so everybody was cutting corners like the 5th Gen days, except now there was a decade of expectations built up since then.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:26 AM, Sparktimus said:

Trust me. It's far easier and less contentious to simply say "I'm just not a fan of these games" instead of tripping over yourself to prove that people actually hate these games when that's clearly not the case.

You acting like I said that doesn't make your point any more correct. Because most gamers don't care enough to really hate any of the games discussed. This apathy is actually bad news if you care about fast paced shooters. Devs doubling down on retro visual styles is not the antidote. The fact that it's treated like it is is bad news. It's a very Emo road go down.

But don't take it from me:

Screenshot 2022-10-28 032458.png

Edited by markanini

14 minutes ago, markanini said:

But don't take it from me: https://steamcharts.com/cmp/964800,782330 

This comparison tells me that the market has room for both games.

Also, those numbers should be read as relative and not absolute, as Steam's numbers are missing console and Game Pass playerbases.

13 minutes ago, markanini said:

You acting like I said that doesn't make your point any more correct. Because most gamers don't care enough to really hate any of the games discussed. This apathy is actually bad news if you care about fast paced shooters. Devs doubling down on retro visual styles is not the antidote. The fact that it's treated like it is is bad news. It's a very Emo road go down.

woah! people are, as a matter of fact, playing video games.

2 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

This comparison tells me that the market has room for both games.

That's a chart showing players, not market share.

13 minutes ago, markanini said:

That's a chart showing players, not market share.

Yeah, it shows that people bought, are continuing to play, and presumably enjoying the game.

image.png.24105e04012cac96ba350467bd674062.png

And really, that's what matters at the end of the day, putting out a game that finds its audience.

If all you want is the most possible players, forget boomer shooters and go make a F2P Battle Royale game or something.  I bet that's something "most gamers" will play.

42 minutes ago, markanini said:

But don't take it from me: (prodeus vs doom eternal)

Remind me, how much was the kickstarter goal for Doom Eternal?

18 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

Yeah, it shows that people bought, are continuing to play, and presumably enjoying the game.

image.png.24105e04012cac96ba350467bd674062.png

And really, that's what matters at the end of the day, putting out a game that finds its audience. 

If all you want is the most possible players, forget boomer shooters and go make a F2P Battle Royale game or something.  I bet that's something "most gamers" will play.

Continuing to play? Finds it's audience or loses it? Should a good "retro" shooter not be played more for at least a few months over a 90's game that partially inspired it? Seems the positive reviews, kickstart backers and and praise within this thread wasn't worth that much after all.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 040511.png

21 minutes ago, markanini said:

Continuing to play? Finds it's audience or loses it? Should a good "retro" shooter not be played more for at least a few months over a 90's game that partially inspired it? Seems the positive reviews, kickstart backers and and praise within in this thread wasn't worth that much after all. 

image.png.d816fc5b824b31755c50772166b16670.png

Buddy, if you're going to lean on Steamcharts to make your points you're going to start drawing some really dumb conclusions.

EDIT: lol

image.png.1bab8d1eb02ba9d4cdfc09b2e75953a9.png

17 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

Buddy, if you're going to lean on concurrent player counts to make your points you're going to start drawing some really dumb conclusions.

I've just taken an honest look at how the data relates to your claims and yours point to the same conclusion. Don't blame me. :)

Edited by markanini

1 hour ago, markanini said:

Just taking an honest look at how the data relates to your claims. Don't blame me. :) 

Hey, you're the one who came up with an "objective" value judgement of a game that rates Prodeus over Doom 64. 😉

EDIT: Dang, I knew DOOM Eternal was missing something, now I know what.

image.png.f56df1830b4949e52e8ad5b24cd2bb7b.png

Edited by AlexMax

>timeframe: 7 days
>timeframe: 1 month

I don't think any of these timeframes are long enough to prove any points

1 minute ago, RDETalus said:

I don't think any of these timeframes are long enough to prove any points

You actually got the intended point.  These stats don't prove anything and certainly aren't useful as a value judgement of a game.

You know, I don't know how this thread turned into Dead or Alive Volleyball, but we need about 100x more of that in every community.

Referencing the original question, the posterization of Cultic bothers me, but I can get used to it. The real issue is how noisy the picture is, visually it's very hard to read without distinct colours and shapes. I'm sure I could get used to playing even that, but at that point it's still an issue of affecting gameplay. I wonder how moddable the sprites are, I wouldn't mind doing like an artstyle mod for that game. Looks fun.

2 hours ago, AlexMax said:

EDIT: Dang, I knew DOOM Eternal was missing something, now I know what.

image.png.f56df1830b4949e52e8ad5b24cd2bb7b.png

Doom Threeternal gonna have exactly two new features.

12 minutes ago, ApprihensivSoul said:

The real issue is how noisy the picture is, visually it's very hard to read without distinct colours and shapes. I'm sure I could get used to playing even that, but at that point it's still an issue of affecting gameplay. I wonder how moddable the sprites are, I wouldn't mind doing like an artstyle mod for that game. Looks fun.

It's very intentionally a "grungy", noisier look than many of its inspirations. I dig it, makes the whole world look like you don't wanna touch it for fear of catching something.

6 hours ago, markanini said:

I've just taken an honest look at how the data relates to your claims and yours point to the same conclusion. Don't blame me. :)

Today I spent 5 hours playing Animal Crossing on my Switch while I only spent about 2 hours playing Doom. This clearly means that Animal Crossing is objectively the superior game because how much time an individual spends playing it on that given day, right?

This is not how you tabulate things, my guy. If we're going to be comparing concurrent players between two games at this point, pretty much any game that was released in the last 5 years or so is going to absolutely trounce most things that came before it. Should we look and that and go "Huh, well I guess those old games weren't good after all!"

Again, you're trying to convince people that a subjective opinion is actually objective. Now with arbitrary concurrent player statistics that don't actually indicate anything about a game's true quality.

Edited by Sparktimus

4 hours ago, markanini said:

You would do amazing in marketing.

Edit: Concurrent players means absolutely nothing because Steam is just one platform. A large platform, but not an absolute one. There is EGS, there is GOG, there are the consoles, heck for older games you have people who play through a ripped CD and import it as a non-Steam game (This likely doesn't add to the tally anyway).

All in all these charts aren't absolute and if you are going to base the quality of a game on them then boy, some classics would be atrocious.

9 hours ago, markanini said:

Wow! The triple-A game, developed and hyped up by a major studio as part of a well-establish franchise has more players than an indie game! Your point is made! You win the internet!

4 hours ago, Kinsie said:

makes the whole world look like you don't wanna touch it for fear of catching something.

I think that's really it, just look at this hand and lighter. Look at those colors there, jesus. Somehow the visuals of this game are harder for me to deal with than Cruelty Squad.

lighter.PNG

1 minute ago, RDETalus said:

I think that's really it, just look at this hand and lighter. Look at those colors there, jesus. Somehow the visuals of this game are harder for me to deal with than Cruelty Squad.

lighter.PNG

POV: This is if Blood is made with Quake engine, not BUILD engine.

18 hours ago, markanini said:

Continuing to play? Finds it's audience or loses it? Should a good "retro" shooter not be played more for at least a few months over a 90's game that partially inspired it? Seems the positive reviews, kickstart backers and and praise within this thread wasn't worth that much after all.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 040511.png

I can assure you that far more people know about Quake than know about Prodeus. One of these games is a landmark title made by a legendary game studio that's still well-known today, the other is an indie title created by a couple of guys from a ~$100k kickstarter campaign with several thousand backers.

20 hours ago, markanini said:

Because yeah, comparing indie crowfunded game with a AAA Game from a well known franchise made by a big developer owned by one of the biggest if no the big tech companys of the world proves your point.

16 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Doom Threeternal gonna have exactly two new features.

It's very intentionally a "grungy", noisier look than many of its inspirations. I dig it, makes the whole world look like you don't wanna touch it for fear of catching something.

Oh, for sure. I like looking at it, or inhabiting it, it just looks like it makes it physically hard to play, like visual motion tracking would be iffy due to the amount of matched colours. 

Oh oh i want to be the AAA Marketing next.

image.png.556fe709824742a026b1f1749bedac4d.png

The next boomer shooter should be like MWII

12 hours ago, ApprihensivSoul said:

Oh, for sure. I like looking at it, or inhabiting it, it just looks like it makes it physically hard to play, like visual motion tracking would be iffy due to the amount of matched colours. 

I'm on a second playthrough of it and I've never had any issues with its readability. In fact, the combat favours longer range fighting and sniping than is typical of this type of FPS and it works very well. The developer took some care to make sure enemy sprites pop against the background despite the limited palette.

I'm not the biggest fan of said palette, it works very well I'd say during outdoor segments but indoors can look very monochromatic. But, the gameplay is pretty superb, among the best of recent retro FPS titles, like Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, and, oh, Prodeus, which is a game I really personally enjoy and thinks looks fantastic. :D

On 10/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Regarding Ion Transphobe, it had an entire team of industry veterans working on it and wasn't the property of some dude in Eastern Europe slaving away on his 2006 Thinkpad. It just has more experience in the visual department compared to say, Hrot. 

Ion Fury was not made by industry veterans -- unless you consider eduke32 modding "the industry".

Aw fuck I didn't realize 3D Realms only published it. Thought they developed it too.