Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nefelibeta

[Boom/Final]Disorder - A Challenging 10-Map Episode

I finished the WAD tonight, I had blast. 
Map 07’s last two fights kicked my ass big time on UV, and Map 08 was also brutal. Surprisingly, the final fight on the last level  was a milder than I thought it would be, maybe because I saved the invulnerability sphere form the secret for the last room, and I was able to take out 2 cybers and the majority of the Archies and Revenants spawning in the first wave before it ran out.

If I didn’t have it, it might have been a bit different outcome! 
Anyway, thanks for the release again, I enjoyed it! 

Finally got around to playing this. Got to map 06, very cool stuff so far. Maps 01-03 are just super fast-paced and super-fun, map 04 is a journey, and I really enjoy that kind of exploration maps (amazing automap btw), making my way through the trees looking for secret (and non-secret) passages was exciting. Map 05 is just awesome all around and my favorite so far, great green visuals!

Difficulty-wise first 5 maps feel like they are skillsaw-style meaning that encounters look harder than they actually are so you end up feeling good about beating them without sweating too much :P But I guess I should prepare for something much more brutal in the second half of the wad. Will write continuation once I finish it.

This mapset single-handedly saved my marriage.

For real though really good stuff. This being a Nefel mapset I was expecting ball-crushing encounters right out of the gate, but everything was really fun and the difficulty curves really well. I feel like you took some best Skillsaw elements and combined them with your own style for a really fun and complete package. My only gripe are the interior detailing is a bit sparse on the earlier levels, which makes them feel like they were developed before all the others (which may or not be true idk). It really is a minor gripe though, maps look fantastic for the most part.

Finally found the time to finish playing this wad. I really enjoyed it and playing it all on UV. The 3 cramped fights in map 7 were really hard but I endend up finding a way to beat them. The timed event fights (arrows and moving safe floor) in map 10 were also challenging. Overall all the maps are great.

Finished map 06, awesome mucus flow adventure. It felt a bit tedious at first, but then when I started to find secrets (secrets are exceptionally cool in this map) and generally explored more, it became very engaging.

I somehow managed to softlock myself though.

For some reason these bars didn't lower when I entered the room (I guess because of super-fast scroller I linedef skipped all 3 of them).

Then I walked over the key platform, which did nothing, but W1 lines triggered, then I came back and triggered the triple lines from behind and they locked me inside :)

Spoiler

image.png.4d247c38df114af0891ffdbb14399f2d.png

image.png

Maybe similar thing here, not sure. Aren't these supposed to lower after I'm done with the fight? I think I left this room without going to the other corridor with linedefs that lower the bars and ended up in this (I assume) unintended situation.

In retrospect that happened because I made a jump from the switch platform into the ledge right away.

Spoiler

What I ended up with:

image.png.d49808cd7548c9d644226432b87f81b2.png

Where I jumped:

image.png.e00a169334f0ddeafeac573d5a364277.png

Maybe will finish the rest sometime soon xd

2 hours ago, Ravendesk said:

For some reason these bars didn't lower when I entered the room (I guess because of super-fast scroller I linedef skipped all 3 of them).

Then I walked over the key platform, which did nothing, but W1 lines triggered, then I came back and triggered the triple lines from behind and they locked me inside :)

Oops, thought I have fixed it. Line-skipping seems rather unavoidable, I will definitly do something about it, though.

Finished my playthrough.

Map 07 - very fun "modern challenging map" with obligatory dmnsns.wad reference. The difficulty seems reasonable so I'll def try to max it when the set is finalized. 

Map 08 - once again change of pace, a space horror map. I enjoyed it, but the no automap pitch dark labyrinth was a bit too much for me.

Map 09 would fit perfectly in any wormwood entry (well, obviously because ww is a clear inspiration), very memorable one. Difficulty-wise it seems even harder than wormwood final maps, health feels very scarce, but maybe it won't be as bad with a proper route. I was also confused about the purpose of the keys and the purpose of the east area, I kinda just did everything in the map.

Also the romero head exit is strange, why is it both romero head and the walkover line?

I assume final fight should change if I find bfg secret before it, but is it intended that these monsters just get stuck forever if I do the final fight first and then backtrack to the secret fight?

Spoiler

image.png.78f981f09ce89bdd17391e7d6e91426f.png

Map 10 interestingly enough might be one of the easiest of the set. The only tricky fight in the last one I think, but since there is a secret invuln that you can use for any of the fights you want (really like that detail btw), it should also be quite easy (pls don't buff I like it that way).

The damaging floor fight is a bit annoying because the purple/red platforms have significant gaps between then and you end up receiving a floor tic anyway with a pretty decent chance when you run from one platform to the other.

Overall I really enjoyed the wad, I like that each map offers something unique in terms of both visuals and gameplay, really helps to create a sense of adventure (even though some of the maps are an adventure on their own), and helps to make each map very memorable. My favourite maps are probably 5, 6 and 9, but I liked every map in the set.

1 hour ago, Ravendesk said:

Difficulty-wise it seems even harder than wormwood final maps

Perhaps? I feel like the fights and ammo starvation isn't as dickish as most of them. But it's certainly possible to screw up here. 

I was also confused about the purpose of the keys and the purpose of the east area, I kinda just did everything in the map.

The keys are used to unlock the hive fight, which unlocks the path to the finale, should've marked those. :P

I assume final fight should change if I find bfg secret before it, but is it intended that these monsters just get stuck forever if I do the final fight first and then backtrack to the secret fight?

Yeah, was going to implement the crushers but I kept forgetting.

The damaging floor fight is a bit annoying because the purple/red platforms have significant gaps between then and you end up receiving a floor tic anyway with a pretty decent chance when you run from one platform to the other.

The original fight from sdx7 does have a smaller gap which prevents you from taking unnecessary damage, welp I didn't implement those because they seemed a bit weird to me. Though this fight has enough spare health for you to tank the damage.

Anyways, glad you liked my stuff, thanks for the feedbacks as well. I will try not to put off /idgames upload for too long.

Hi, anyway I decided to release the final version now. I won't be making changes unless level-breaking bugs are found. The zip also contains an info txt in case you want to read all the silly stories behind the devlopment process.

[[Download Final Version]]

Why don't you upload it onto /idgames?

Welp screw that. For whatever reason, I can't get access to the gamers.org now, not even the FTP clients can help. 
It might be something something with the region I live in, or the fact I'm using an VPN to connect. 
But anyways I can't upload files onto it. It's not that it matters that much lol, 
so I will just use dropbox for now until I can connect to the gamers.org. 
Or I will forget about this wad completely and never bother, who knows.

there are a few sections in map 1 and 2 where hitscan "snags" on the air, especially near the well looking thing

Edited by mmjp08

2 hours ago, mmjp08 said:

there are a few sections in map 1 and 2 where hitscan "snags" on the air, especially near the well looking thing

I'm curious what that even means.

I was referencing this area(particularly when shooting towards the right from this position), but this occurs fairly often in other maps as well. I'm on dsda 0.25 CL 9

image.png

Welp since this is final and there are already demos of the maps, so I won't be fixing those (idk how to anyways) If it isn't too annoying then let it be that way.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:58 PM, Nefelibeta said:

I'm curious what that even means.

ok figured it out. It's just that revs have sparks instead of blood sprites. my bad