Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
finnks13

[/idgames] Hundreds & Thousands - 6 short Reality maps

Very creative map-set im in love with the gimmick,music and pallete they do stand-out a lot :). Im currently on map03 UV, but i've got some opnions for some feedback:

01: good atmosphore and map design, makes up a good start for people accomodate with the central gimmick, the ost fits really well and the combat is more oriented on set-pieces.

the mancubus can stuck himself up the pillar and block the central place of the arena:

Spoiler

doom25.png.c6503009eaa077b4fce8b95abe8cb15c.png

02: energetic map, texturing gave me ancient alien vibes and a good change of pace on the combat. The track of the map also cuts in half and leaves 10 seconds of silence.

didn't find any bug on this one, i aprove.

will give more feedback when i later on the wad, ty c:

Playtested this wad! Really loved the maps. Struck a good balance between fair and challenging. Glad to see this being released!

Well to be fair I did not read the description carefully before playing this and seems like the 1hp gimmick doesn't work with the FinalDoomer, so I've played through the set with a normal 100hp start. It actually seemed challenging enough (UV) and I've noticed halfway through that there's a distinct lack of health or armor pickups, so I guess I was just playing it on easy mode (the full HP allowed me to get hit a couple of times).

I then tried it playing as it was intended and only finished first two maps. IMO hit-scanners ruin the fun of "don't get hit" pretty quickly.

Nevertheless, these are some well made maps.

Never played something like this so it was interesting how it changed the gameplay up.  Monster prioritization definitely got changed when zombiemen and lost souls became menaces, so it felt like a fresh experience.  It got challenging but the last fight really tested me, which makes sense as a finale.  Felt a bit different than normal doom with the way I had to save more often between encounters and reload to take on each battle perfectly.  Not sure this style would be my cup of tea normally but it was really cool to check it out for the first time.  Oh the music was also sick, never heard of tracker music before but some of this is something I would consider listening to outside the game, definitely a distinct sound in doom. Great work all around!

Very cool set and also great visuals!

Many of the setups are very creative, I particularly enjoyed the final archvile setup in map 02, the tyson platforms around the archvile in map 03 and the final fight in map 05. Fun stuff, I wish there were more slaughter-like reality encounters though :)

Also, map 32 is cool but can you pretty please make the exit open faster in it? Otherwise there is no point in speedrunning it, exit is almost always slower than the 100% kills, and speedrunning it looks super fun. :)

A few very minor bugs:

Spoiler

image.png.c528f3d33519d935791cb7dc7f6832a8.png

Archvile got stuck here in map 05, I assume due to the fact that impassable linedef is away from the edge. Probably can be fixed with fake floor around the fence or something like that. The same thing can happen to cybers in the final arena of map 05 as well btw.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:20 PM, sandwedge said:

Never played something like this so it was interesting how it changed the gameplay up.  Monster prioritization definitely got changed when zombiemen and lost souls became menaces, so it felt like a fresh experience.  It got challenging but the last fight really tested me, which makes sense as a finale.  Felt a bit different than normal doom with the way I had to save more often between encounters and reload to take on each battle perfectly.  Not sure this style would be my cup of tea normally but it was really cool to check it out for the first time.  Oh the music was also sick, never heard of tracker music before but some of this is something I would consider listening to outside the game, definitely a distinct sound in doom. Great work all around!

Thanks for recording a video playthrough of the set, it was a very fun watch (and made me realise I had forgotten to make a few obvious improvements!)

11 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Very cool set and also great visuals!

Many of the setups are very creative, I particularly enjoyed the final archvile setup in map 02, the tyson platforms around the archvile in map 03 and the final fight in map 05. Fun stuff, I wish there were more slaughter-like reality encounters though :)

Also, map 32 is cool but can you pretty please make the exit open faster in it? Otherwise there is no point in speedrunning it, exit is almost always slower than the 100% kills, and speedrunning it looks super fun. :)

A few very minor bugs:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.c528f3d33519d935791cb7dc7f6832a8.png

Archvile got stuck here in map 05, I assume due to the fact that impassable linedef is away from the edge. Probably can be fixed with fake floor around the fence or something like that. The same thing can happen to cybers in the final arena of map 05 as well btw.

Thanks for the kind words, and the bug reports - I'll have to be a bit more overzealous with monster blocking lines than I was expecting I guess! I shall mess around in the DEHACKED and see if I can make the exit trigger on the death of all the imps instead of just a time-limit, since I guess it is a little bit lame for speedrunning the map - in my defence, I did make the map in 20 minutes :P

Gave the first 4 maps a try, good stuff.

I came in to expect to not like it, since you know how doom enemies work, turned out it's really well executed. Especially love the crumpets(pepper?) vibes.

Thank fucking god for that SSG secret in the tyson map btw.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, finnks13 said:

I shall mess around in the DEHACKED and see if I can make the exit trigger on the death of all the imps instead of just a time-limit,

I don't know a damn thing about DEHACKED but I think death triggers are MBF(21) only. Here's a little trick that is realizeable in Boom.

It only works if you place shit ton of lift triggers all over the place, but I suppose you can put it inside teleport closets so it will activate when all monsters got teleported out or something. Might be a bit inconsistent but it works for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jy0v49c522mcqy/voodootrigger.wad?dl=0

23 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

I don't know a damn thing about DEHACKED but I think death triggers are MBF(21) only

UMAPINFO is an alternate option, as it provides generalized per-map bossdeath actions and a lot of popular ports support it.

3 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Gave the first 4 maps a try, good stuff.

I came in to expect to not like it, since you know how doom enemies work, turned out it's really well executed. Especially love the crumpets(pepper?) vibes.

Thank fucking god for that SSG secret in the tyson map btw.

I don't know a damn thing about DEHACKED but I think death triggers are MBF(21) only. Here's a little trick that is realizeable in Boom.

It only works if you place shit ton of lift triggers all over the place, but I suppose you can put it inside teleport closets so it will activate when all monsters got teleported out or something. Might be a bit inconsistent but it works for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jy0v49c522mcqy/voodootrigger.wad?dl=0

I'm glad you're enjoying your playthrough! Pepper was the main inspiration behind the wad (it is where I took the DEHACKED patch from initially!) but I love Crumpets too so I'm not surprised it snuck it's way into the wad without me realising :P

2 hours ago, Doomy__Doom said:

UMAPINFO is an alternate option, as it provides generalized per-map bossdeath actions and a lot of popular ports support it.

These are good ideas (that example wad with the lifts everywhere will be especially useful for future shenanigans!) but because the map that I'm doing this in only contains imps, the way that I managed to get it working yesterday was to replace A_Fall in the imp's states with A_KeenDie, and use a tag 666 door along with a conveyor in the map itself. It doesn't seem to break anything from the limited amount of testing I've done. It's not something that would work if the map was more complex, and I expect there's better ways of doing it anyway, but this works well enough so I'm keeping it!

I did try to get UMAPINFO working initially, but I couldn't figure it out and since fixing it would have taken longer than the 20 minutes I was willing to spend on what is effectively a stupid joke, I decided to be lazy and use a timer! On looking it up, it seems like I'd have to edit the imp's states using DEHACKED in order to add A_BossDeath so I wouldn't have gotten out of messing around in dehacked anyway :P

Hopefully I should have the final version of the wad up today at some point with the altered Map32 (along with some other miscellaneous fixes and improvements).

Maybe it's just bias so that a new version doesn't invalidate my run but I think a note about how to cross this path(either the mechanic itself or a specific timing like this) would do more for accessibility than changing the layout entirely

my convoluted strategy for the map05 nukage

Edited by mmjp08 : context to video and thoughts on potential changes

Well it's a few days later than I promised, but here's the latest (and possibly final?) version of Hundreds & Thousands. If a few weeks pass and no bugs are reported, this will be the version I eventually upload to the archive.

Download: HERE or in the OP

Changes:

Spoiler

- Small visual improvements to all maps.

- Text file improvements

- Map32 now has a proper intermission screen graphic

Map01

- Added a pillar in the opening area so grabbing the shotgun is less luck dependant.

- Added four shells to the opening area to speed up the cleanup process

Map02

- Replaced a lost soul with an imp so you can't get blindsided in an ambush as easily.

Map03

- Moved a cell charge around to make it less likely that the player has no ammo when going into the revs & chaingunners

- Centered the arrow

Map04

- Changed the teleporter out of the green key area to look better

- Jumping out of the window leads to something now instead of nothing (well, sorta :P)

Map05

- Added blocking lines in the poison area

- Made the first platform of the poison area much larger, so you can run around more easily.

- Made the first poison crossing slightly smaller

Map32

- The exit now opens upon killing all the imps instead of being on a timer

Thank you to everyone who played the first version, I really appreciate it :)