Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StoopidBoiEthan

GREG'S GARGANTUAN GADVENTURE OF GLORY, GAFFES, AND GARBAGE v0.55 - BALANCE UPDATE FOR MAP08

On 10/23/2022 at 7:07 AM, StoopidBoiEthan said:

due to some technical fuckups that I honestly just don't feel like fixing, this mod is broken up into both a WAD and PK3

do things still break if you put the wad file directly in the root of the pk3? that's the strategy I've been using, and it generally seems to work ok

edit: doing things this way means you don't have to break up your maps into separate wad files inside of the pk3/maps folder, you can just stick the whole wad in the root

double edit: these maps look cool as hell :D

Edited by Tango

8 hours ago, Tango said:

do things still break if you put the wad file directly in the root of the pk3? that's the strategy I've been using, and it generally seems to work ok

edit: doing things this way means you don't have to break up your maps into separate wad files inside of the pk3/maps folder, you can just stick the whole wad in the root

When I started making the levels, I for some insane reason, decided to use BOTH the OTEX pk3 and the OTEX WAD, and attempting to remove either one broke a whole bunch of textures. I could go back and replace all of those individually, but I decided not to just for the sake of getting this out in some form as soon as possible, even if it is technically broken in some form.

although after thinking about it for more than 2 seconds, it probably would be a really good idea to fix this now, instead of stalling for however long, and exponentially increasing the tedium as I create more new maps, so I should probably get on that.

I feel with such thread title you're simply underselling yourself - genuine effort needs better title with less self depreciation. It can still remain silly and playful on words - that way more people will inclined to check out. 

7 hours ago, Misty said:

I feel with such thread title you're simply underselling yourself - genuine effort needs better title with less self depreciation. It can still remain silly and playful on words - that way more people will inclined to check out. 

I actually have a small update with some fixes and a name change planned, there are just other things that I need to do first.

Small update:

Spoiler

- Changed the old name to something less meaninglessly self deprecating but still just as stupid.

- Merged everything into one PK3 for ease of use. 

- added a sort of "preview room" for map04 that has the custom monsters added for it.

Edited by StoopidBoiEthan : Threw stuff into a spoiler to reduce word vomit

Yet another small update:

Spoiler

MAP01:

- fixed that one missing sky texture
- added blocking lines around the voxel vheicles that you can walk into
- opened up the upper cave area so it should be easier to walk through, and changed the chaingunner ambush at the end to revenants.

MAP02:

- fixed that one dormant revenant
- added some fences to the central area with the minigun, and hopefully fixed a major sequence break
- make sure none of those road cones can be pushed around
- added blocking lines to the voxel vehicles that you can walk into
- fixed several small texture areas
- added some rubble to stop a group of zombies in the south half from getting shot in the back
- completely reworked the final fight, should now function much better as a final challenge

MAP03:

- fixed the the possible skip on the southern fight
- extend the triggers on the second to last fight so it will start even if you don't go on the platform
- fixed the blocking lines on the exit so you can't just
- set the final fight to lock the player in as the cybers lower down, then open it back up when the avatar dies

Download in OG post.

MAP04 is in full production, will be released within the next couple months, please let me know of any other bugs or fixes you know of.

Edit: Massive thanks to @ginc for letting me know of almost all of these issues. :)

Edited by StoopidBoiEthan

After about 2 months of stalling and pain, MAP04 has been finished.

UPDATE 0.23 CHANGELOG

Spoiler

- MAP04
    - MAP04 added
    - MAP04 Midi changed to "Crawler" by AD_79
    - Butcher health decreased to 550
    - Butcher now moves forward a bit when he attacks so you can't just step one pixel back and avoid the attack entirely
    - Agathodemon health decreased to 675
    - Agathodemon no longer side dodges like a goddamn SSBM character on crack
    - Suicide bomber now has 65 health and their death explosion now deals a bit more damage

- MAP03
    - added some pink shit fountains to most of the pools of pink shit
    - added a wicked sick new sky, thanks to Mummipackv2, and replaced the screenshits in the post
    - upgraded the avatar so it shoots a ton of cacodemon projectiles alongside his red lightning attack.

- WEAPONS
    - Assault rifle damage updated to 22 so its exactly as efficient as the pistol per bullet
    - Minigun damage updated to 25 so its actually an upgrade to the AR

- MISC
    - Updated the difficulty text for UV to dissuade first timers from playing on that skill, but it probably won't mean anything

Edited by StoopidBoiEthan : See above

Yet another another other minor update:

UPDATE 0.24 CHANGELOG

Spoiler

- TLDR : Added a double damage powerup ripped from R667 and threw them into existing maps because I thought having just soul pheres and blue armors in secrets is kinda boring

- MAP02
    - moved some gore off of blue key portal thingy so it doesn't suddenly jump up when it starts lowering I don't think that's how physics works
    - fix the alignment of a fence next to the minigun switch
    - added a double damage and some extra fodder to the start of the minigun section

- MAP03
    - replaced the secret Scrapgun with a double damage powerup

- MAP04
    - replaced the blue armor secret at the start with a double damage because power armor is for pussies idk
    - replaced the soulsphere secret at the red key with a switch that lowers a double damage in the blue key arena
    - added extra script triggers so hopefully the weather change at the end actually works consistently
    - fixed a broken celling cube in the ending sequence that chances are nobody will notice
    - merged the 4th and 5th waves of the final fight, replaced half of haedexabuses with wickeds, and set the bars to lower after both half of the agathodemons and both masterminds are dead

Hopefully ill be able to get a decent amount of work done on MAP05 over this month, since my college classes are done for the time being and I have way more free time. Thanks for playing and please send any feedback. :)

Edited by StoopidBoiEthan : See above

It never stops:

UPDATE 0.25 CHANGELOG

Spoiler

- MAP02
    - Very small texture alignment fix on the red key building

- MAP03
    - Added a cool music change for the avatar boss ("vol_6" by Ribbiks)
    - messed with the attack RNG so he isn't as likely to spam the blue ball attack
    - Very small texture changes for the final arena

- MAP04
    - Fixed an unintentional progression break next to some stupid ass boxes
    - Added some blocking lines above the suicidebomber-soulsphere trap
    - Fixed the little gate thing next to the first Agathodemon fight
    - removed some extra weapons that were used for testing
    - fixed a major progression break after first Agathodemon fight and added some minor decoration for kicks
    - Fixed a softlock by the van in front of the second UAC building.

Thanks again to @ginc for feedback on MAP04

Doom 2 - [Greg's Glory] - Map: #01 - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100%]

Doom 2 - [Greg's Glory] - Map: #02 - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100% Secrets]

Doom 2 - [Greg's Glory] - Map: #03 - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100%]

Edited by Custom Longplay

Here's a work in progress screenshit of map05. Yes this map will be exactly as painful as it looks. Progress with it is going along nicely, though will probably slow down a bit when my college classes start up again next week. Currently expecting to have this done by mid to late February.

map05 wip screenshot.png

Played maps 1 and 2 so far, mowing down enemies with the Supercharge mods is very enjoyable.

The rooftop fight for the blue key in Map 2 was a doozy, that took a couple reloads to get some good infighting.

The passageway that opens when you after getting the blue key was missing some textures. Tried to get a screen shot, but it just showed the titlepic.

3 hours ago, OtherSpenny said:

Played maps 1 and 2 so far, mowing down enemies with the Supercharge mods is very enjoyable.

The rooftop fight for the blue key in Map 2 was a doozy, that took a couple reloads to get some good infighting.

The passageway that opens when you after getting the blue key was missing some textures. Tried to get a screen shot, but it just showed the titlepic.

Thanks for the feedback, I just fixed the texture bug on those boxes, but I probably won't bother pushing an entire update for just that tiny fix, at least not yet.

I probably do need to tone down that blue key fight but I'm not 100% sure how while still incorporating those grenadiers. I'll come up with something eventually.

Edit: What difficulty were you playing on? I'm assuming UV, but i might as well ask just to be sure.

OH BOY AN ACTUAL UPDATE FOR ONCE: WE GOT A WHOLE ASS NEW MAP

Spoiler

WEAPONS:
        - added some awesome new chaingun firing sprites, by Arkore
    MISC:
        - added a new player death sound that will hopefully be funny for more than 2 seconds

MAP01:
        - Moved the platforms in the big poison pool area up a bit so you cant just run over them and skip that section
        - fixed the yellow door only opening once (NICE ONE DUMBASS)
    MAP02:
        - Fixed a missing texture on some boxes.
        - fixed that grenadier/imp encounter that i broke in a previous update.
        - reworked the blue key fight to hopefully make it just a little bit easier.
        - reworked the final fight to make it a bit harder.

MAP03:
        - Added some extra decorational stuff.
        - changed the avatar's homing skull attack into something slightly less bullshit.

MAP04:
        - added some cool looking statues and other decorational stuff.

MAP05:
        - now exists.

HAVE SOME SCREENSHITS TOO:

Spoiler

1890441557_map05screenshot(3).png.d12b1b7d52c28ae9bfdf5c3969afccee.png789114504_map05screenshot(2).png.ef9b57e719a11c88f715a3a8c9d5fbf3.png257584338_map05screenshot(1).png.d3600e76e81b0b0a2fc07f9a0246b393.png

Download in OG post, please tell play and me how much I suck at mapping

Minor hotfix update to 0.301 because I accidentally left a few dormant enemies in monster closets that weren't supposed to be, making the final fight incompletable on certain difficulties.

Progress on map06 is going along very nicely, in terms of visuals and layout it's about 90% done, and most of the work is just going to be scripting the encounters, putting together the final arena and scripting that fight, and about 3 life sentences worth of playtesting. With any luck I'll be done in mid-late April.

And here be ye obligatory screenshit:2103909346_map06screenshot(1).png.4a76d327be9a089724a11cca0c6fd431.png

UPDATE TO 0.35 - THE BONERS ARE UPON US

Spoiler

MAP05:
        - fixed the Archviles not teleporting in silently in the second to last battle.

MAP06:
        - is in a practically complete and relatively polished state, but there are a few things I really wanna go back and rework at a later point
    MISC:    
        - Zetagunner health dropped to 150, for the sake of more consistent SSG 1 shots and just killing it faster in general

HAVE SOME SCREENSHITS TOO

Spoiler

1023242685_map06screenshot(1).png.99a1fde417082f731517c72c1d099e63.png

1117843977_map06screenshot(2).png.070386a54cb72c65001ff265c150023b.png

1618735715_map06screenshot(3).png.6e5e07f28a1b4c73d56743196a5bdec7.png

Gonna be real for a sec, if you hadn't posted this in the Entryway Discord and asked for playtesting I would never have even looked twice at it. I'm glad I did though. A glance at the title makes it look like a memey cringe edgelord mod but it's actually a lovely piece of parody that's almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Underneath the veneer of self-effacing humor and crass Gamer styling there's a carefully studied and practiced reverence for so many of the things I enjoy most about Doom and the Doom modding community, and then all those things are cranked right up to the precipice of "too much" without ever stepping over. I find myself just flowing through these maps like water, never really knowing or worried about where I'm going but loving the ride and still always ending up right where I need to be. I've never really enjoyed any mods that changed the vanilla balance of the weapons or monsters of Doom, and I absolutely loathe Brutal Doom, but I'm having so much fun with this.

"Greg's Glory: It's like if Brutal Doom had a brother that, instead of dropping out to sell meth and steal car stereos, went to trade school and got HVAC certified" - Me, 2023

UPDATE TO 0.36 - GREG'S GLORY 0.36 - NOW WITH MORE UNNECECARY PARTICLES THAN THE FUCKING BEACH

CHANGELOG

Spoiler

TL;DR : Several minor balance changes to MAP05 and MAP06, several miscellaneous changes to previous levels to make things look and sound better, and stuff in preparation for map07

MAP01:
        - fixed a potential softlock in the poison pit of the center cave area

MAP03:
        - nerfed the double cyberdemon fight, by removing 2/3 of the fleshpawns and tossing all of the zetagunners and grenadiers, replacing them with a few HK's and revs instead
        - gave the avatar boss about 500 more health on every difficulty, dropped its pain chance a bit and removed some jank from its code, evening out the chances that it uses all 4 attacks

MAP05:
        - Significantly decreased overall plasma and scrap ammo, and removed the backpack to hopefully emphasize using more than just the plasmagun
        - added way more ammo to the stomper secret and removed the megasphere
        - moved the megaarmor from the far right encounter to near one of the TP's and put a health bonus there instead, since if you went in there with full armor you couldn't start the encounter
        - attempted to make the symbols that mark your progress a bit more obvious

MAP06:
        - fixed literally 2 misaligned textures
        - added several lost souls and a few extra fleshpawns to the red room fight because that needs some more chaos
        - also added some extra pillars and a few extra jump pads to the red arena to remove some softlocks
        - fixed a missing line trigger in the top blue portal, and added monster block lines to all of them just to be safe
        - made the player get stuck properly in the ending, and removed that preview of map07 because i decided I want to start that map differently 
        - moved some of the stomper boxes in the white tower arena to hopefully make them easier to find
        - reworked the cyberdemons in the second wave of the white tower arena: now platforms raise up and they just walk on, instead of them getting thrown in by that script that only seems to work half the time
        - added some basic ambient sounds for all of the fire and lava, and made more ash fall from the sky
        - made the bars that block each tower lower as soon as you hit the switch, but more slowly to compensate
        - replaced the jump pads on each of the big towers with either stairs, or raising platforms, hopefully to make them more obvious to the player, but more importantly because my dumbass never actually introduced the concept of a jump pad before and introducing one now under pressure of 200 angry boners chasing you around isn't a very good tutorial

MISC:
        - added code and sprites for the fallen
        - added code and sprites for the heirophant    (plus the alternate versions for HMP/HNTR)
        - fixed the obituaries for the fleshspawn and diabolist
        - added some extra midis to be used for map07 and map08 later
        - made the overlay for the double and quad damage slightly less eye gouging and added "proper" messages for them
        - went through map01, 02, 04, and 06 and added ambient noises for stuff like computers running and lava flow (this will be significantly expanded later, i just need to find more sounds first)
        - also added toxic clouds (to map01, 04, and 06) and liquid bubbles/boils (every map except 05) for the same purpose

AND NEW VERSIONS OF OLD SCREENSHITS

Spoiler

map01_screenshot_1.png

map04_screenshot_2.png

map06_screenshot_2.png

also, massive thanks to @GINC AND @SIKRECI for a lot of important feedback

Okay, so its been a long ass time with absolute radio silence, and its half because of actual IRL stuff taking up a massive amount of time over the past few months and half because I spent like 8 fucking hours a day playing the new Zelda game and willingly kicked this can back for a hilarious amount of time.

BUT

I've managed to pull my shit together after moving into a new apartment for college and now have like an entire week to kill before classes start. I'm hoping that MAP07 will be finished by mid or late September, god willing. That update should also come with some minor changes to MAP06, the nightmare replacement being implemented for maps 1-3, and a few other small changes for the other maps. Then comes MAP08, which I'm really excited to get started on.

Here's a few screenshits to hold you over until then. Have a good day.

Spoiler

map07screenshot1.png

map07screenshot2.png

map07screenshot3.png

UPDATE TO 0.40 - BETTER A MONTH LATE THAN NEVER I GUESS

yeah do you guys remember when i said this would be out in September?

i sure as hell don't, but I got everything I wanted done, and hopefully to a good quality standard.

MAP07 is now out, and the nightmare replacement for maps 1-3 is done.

see post above for screenshits.

CHANGELOOG

Spoiler

MAP01:
    - fixed one Mancubus that wasn't appearing on any difficulty
    - implemented TWITTER MODE (Nightmare difficulty replacement)
        - please note that other changes have been made to accommodate the new NM stuff, though most of it is to minor to bother listing
MAP02: 
    - added some pointless detailing to all of the outer buildings, that were previously just grey blocks
        - please note that other changes have been made to accommodate the new NM stuff, though most of it is to minor to bother listing

MAP03:
    - fixed literally one texture misalignment on a ceiling in the boss arena

MAP06:
    - made a very small fix to the ending sequence

MAP07:
    - exists now
MISC:
    - added an absolutely god awful ENDOOM screen just for shits and giggles
    - nabbed the BFG sprites from AR Luminae, and changed the projectile and other effects accordingly, just so i don't have to later

On 8/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, Kwisior said:

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYTHING WRITTEN LIKE THAT???!!!?!?!?

loud = funny

UPDATE TO 0.45 - SOME MINOR CHANGES AND A TEST MAP

CHANGELEG

Spoiler

- MAJOR STUFF:
        - added a test map where you can dick around with all of the weapons and enemies and stuff 
            - go into console and type in "map gregtest"
        - added the sprites, sound and code for the striga (by Amuscaria, with sound replacements by Cturix)
        - added the sprites, sound and code for the fleshwizard (by Gez, with sound replacements by Cturix)

- dropped the fallen's health to 225, so it works as more of a glass cannon

MISC:
        - buffed the avatar boss on NM, now fires curse projectiles alongside his other homing attack and can teleport
        - nerfed the hierophant boss, all of the weaker versions now slightly longer windups on all attacks and fewer projectiles on the big homing stream thing
        - stole the tracers from godless night
        - stole the machinegun sounds from AR luminae

Download link in first post as always, have fun and give me any feedback you want.