Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crizk

Doom on video game systems...

Back when Doom was at its peak popularity I remember tons of console versions of Doom. The only one I ever had was Doom for SNES which was given to me by a friend and sort of limited. It's basically just the origional Doom but none of the floors or ceilings have textures and several of the levels have been simplified. It really pales in comparison to the PC version and put me off ever buying console versions of Doom. So I was wondering what console versions are your favorite? Which do you own? Are there any worth playing?

PSX doom is pretty good IMO. The levels are a bit simplified, and there are odd things like Doom2 textures in Doom1 maps. There are some nice effects, however and overall it's a pretty good game, but the PC version is still better IMO.

Doom64 is very good. Has totally new sprites, levels and textures, but IMO (and not everyone will agree) it's not really doom either. Just a very competant, very similar game, with a lot of the feel of the original doom, but with it's own character too.

Hey, Caco Leader. Haven't seen you in ages.

There's also a SNES port of Doom 1, and GBA ports of Doom 1 and 2, and a PSX port of Final DOOM.

Hey hey, it's CacodemonLeader! :) Dude, you should post more often :)
Anyway, my two most favorite versions of console Doom are, of course, Doom64, and PSX Doom. Best versions of console Doom EVAR.

I have Doom v 1.999 shareware version (sniff) for PC, Doom for Snes (it's really hard to control), and Doom for PSX (Club Doom!!! YAY!!!)
Of course the one that looks better is the PC one, but the levels from the PSX, well, I just love them!!! XD

Of course I like Doom 64, it's obvious, im a TC team member.

PSX Doom was great, as I liked the new colored lighting and stuff it provided, aswell as the music and new sfx. PSX Doom actually is my favorite Doom. Someday I plan on a project which I can't speak of right now, at all...so *Ponks!*

So does the PS and N64 versions have different content than the PC games? The SNES version I played was like a carbon copy of the origional Doom except the controls and graphics were a lot worse.

well, my PS doom does not have the Archviles on it. The SNES version has less levels than the original PC version, and you cannot save states in there.

Crizk said:

So does the PS and N64 versions have different content than the PC games?

Yes. The basic PS version has both Doom and Doom2 and some of its own levels. Plus all levels have been modified a bit (often simplified architechture, but it has coured lighting, different sounds and different music, a cool animated fire sky, a new "super spectre" kind of demon..."). I dunno what final doom is like.

The N64 version - Doom 64 - is totally different. I don't think there is anything straight from the original in it. Although I'm not too familiar with it, so I could be wrong there.

Demons Hand said:

I have Psx final doom and doom 64. I never plan on geting doom for the Gba cuz its not doom(IMO). There is no cyber-demon.

I think Doom2 for GBA is the best because Its portable, and it includes all the monsters and the ssg unlike the original Doom for GBA.

Truthfully, SNES Doom was the first Doom version I played, and when I look back on it, it was quite limited in all aspects. Monsters ALWAYS faced you, made their sight sounds in place of roam sounds, no textures on the floors or ceilings...

But, and I may sound a bit crazy for saying this, but SNES Doom had the best rendition of the musics in my opinion, even better than PC Doom's[some how the PC tunes didn't sound as catchy]. Although the MP3 musics did surpass SNES Doom's music, except for Demons from Adrian's Pen, which was my absolute fav Doom 1 music.

Other than that, I've never played the other console ports of Doom.

I just started playing DooM 64 yesterday. It's pretty fun, but not quite DooM anymore. I think it's the way that the enemies are used this time around. The music r0X0rs though.

There were also versions of Doom released for the Sega Saturn and Atari Jaguar, but I've never had the chance to play them. I remember that the Jag verion got stellar reviews from Game Informer.

Hmm.... Cant really say that I like consoles, nor do I like console versions of doom. But out of them all, I would have to say doom64 was about as close to the pc as it could get (as in gameplay). Plus it did have some cool ambiant lighting and shit...!

I played the Jaguar version. As far as I could tell there was nothing missing, and the graphics were better than PC DooM.

Actually, the Jaguar version is the sliced up version of Doom that all of the console games (except for the SNES) is based off of. No crushing ceilings, invisibility, light amp, cyberdemon, spectre, spider mastermind, etc, etc. The spectre was added in newer versions, and the invisibility in some PSX Doom 1 levels, but other than that, if you played GBA Doom, PSX Doom (levels up to Limbo), 3D0 Doom or 32x Doom, you know what to expect.

The best console Dooms are PSX Doom, Doom 64, and Doom 2 for the GBA.

elbryan42 said:

Actually, the Jaguar version is the sliced up version of Doom that all of the console games (except for the SNES) is based off of. No crushing ceilings, invisibility, light amp, cyberdemon, spectre, spider mastermind, etc, etc.

It's been a few years, I guess I forgot.

I own Doom 64 (I got it free of charge from someone who was bored of it, heh) and I really think it's a nice addition to the Doom universe. Different from PC Doom, but still excellent. Too bad about the controls... the TC will kick ass.

DooMBoy said:

Hey hey, it's CacodemonLeader! :) Dude, you should post more often :)

He should have been posting but, IIRC, he was caught up in a ban or something. It's all fixed now, obviously. I made it like...a quest to get Cacodemon Leader back on these forums because he rocks.

BBG said:

I made it like...a quest to get Cacodemon Leader back on these forums because he rocks.

*remembers all the flaming on CL's forums over all the ripped stuff in Cacodemon Squad*

Heh, yeah. He's pretty cool, and good at hunting down good resources. :)

I have SNES Doom, Doom 64, Final Doom PSX, Custon Doom PSX, Doom GBA and Doom II GBA, and to me they all kick LOTS of ass. Yes I do enjoy the SNES version. If you're going to try and restore faith in console versions of Doom, Try and get custom PSX Doom first. It's really hard to find but OH so worth it. I prefer Doom 64, myself, but I find more people can get easily hooked on to PSX Custom Doom. I also think the GBA versions are both godsends. I mean, Doom anywhere. And really well done to boot! What is there not to like about that?

SNES Doom is imo the most accurate console port. Aside from the lack of flats, the texturing and architecture from what I have seen is identical to the PC version.

3DO Doom is the suckiest console port. You are lucky if the game runs at 7 fps.

Fredrik said:
[...]I really think it's a nice addition to the Doom universe. Different from PC Doom, but still excellent. Too bad about the controls... the TC will kick ass.

Don't know why, but I'm kind of suprised you liked it...

you are right about the controls... which is why i tracked down the rom and used a psx (ish) controller for it :).

and yes, the Doom 64 TC will rock.

I hate consoles/gaming systems, but I have had a computer since 1992... But the fact that doom went from computer to gaming console was pretty sweet, that meant that doom was growing in popularity, and this was a good thing....

Interesting. I have a playstation and N64 so I may snag doom for those consoles since people seem to like those versions. I've played the gba doom come to think of it. I didn't think very highly of it because I have such a hard time seeing those gameboy screens.

@Melfice Darkmage
I just now looked at the screenshots to the Doom64 TC from your sig, they look really good. It's very impressive. It looks like it will be a sweet TC.