Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackpuppy

I can't open an external source port to test map in Eureka (Mac OSX)

Question

So just as the title states. I have the latest versions of Eureka and Chocolate Doom and GZDoom but whenever I click on Test in Game, nothing happens. I first tried with Chocolate Doom, but nothing, and then I tried GZDoom, still nothing. I erased the path in the misc.cfg file each time I changed source ports so Eureka would allow me to choose again. Here are the "Result codes" I get everytime:

CD: 32512

GZ: 32256

EDIT: I am running Monterey (MacOS 12.0.1) on the last Intel Mac Mini (2018 model).

EDIT 2: So I can right click on the wad file and force it to open like that, so there is a way to test the map....

12 answers to this question

If Eureka on macOS is anything like Win or Linux, you specify the game wad and executable per map (project):

File > Manage Project

image.png.4bea46c6ccd835bfc3abaedf46a61b8b.png

And click on Setup and browse to the correct source port executable.

Spoiler

Note that if it is a .pk3 exploded file structure you are using, you will probably need to drop the root of the folder onto GZ (I don't know if Eureka can handle .pk3 or .pk3 file structure).

On 10/28/2022 at 3:46 PM, smeghammer said:

If Eureka on macOS is anything like Win or Linux, you specify the game wad and executable per map (project):

File > Manage Project

image.png.4bea46c6ccd835bfc3abaedf46a61b8b.png

And click on Setup and browse to the correct source port executable.

Hide contents

Note that if it is a .pk3 exploded file structure you are using, you will probably need to drop the root of the folder onto GZ (I don't know if Eureka can handle .pk3 or .pk3 file structure).

Thank you for answering, but unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I guess I'll just have to test my map the hard way. 

2 minutes ago, Blackpuppy said:

Thank you for answering, but unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Then what is happening? Saying it doesn't work without explaining which exact steps you did that caused that error means people need to use a magic mirror to determine your exact issue.

What happens is the same thing that I described in the OP: I get "Result Code: 32512" and literally nothing else happens.

More Detail: 

- I have told Eureka which application to use in File -> Manage Project. 

- I've tried using both GZdoom and Chocolate Doom.  

- I save the project. 

- I hit Command + T / Tools -> Test in Game. 

- The Log in the grey information bar on top shows "Testing Map" for a split second before showing "Result Code: 32512" if I set Chocolate Doom or "Result Code: 32256" if I set the app to GZDoom. 

- And that's it. I'm still in editing mode. 

Edited by Blackpuppy : Clarity.

Just to be clear on that,

• You can run a pwad with Chocolate Doom or GZDoom standalone?
  • When you run your pwad through Eureka (Mac) you get those errors even though you selected the correct path to the ports in Manage Projects?

If the errors keep coming up then, perhaps, it is time for @printz to step in, since @andrewj is no longer developing the editor.

7 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Just to be clear on that,

• You can run a pwad with Chocolate Doom or GZDoom standalone?
  • When you run your pwad through Eureka (Mac) you get those errors even though you selected the correct path to the ports in Manage Projects?

If the errors keep coming up then, perhaps, it is time for @printz to step in, since @andrewj is no longer developing the editor.

This is correct. I can right click on the .wad file sitting on my desktop and open it in either ChocolateDoom and GZDoom, but cannot do it from Eureka despite setting the correct path for the app. 

I wonder if it isn’t a weird OSX permissions issue. 

Using Tools -> View Logs after an attempt, there should be lines like this:

Changing current dir to: /home/username/doomstuff
Testing map using the following command:
--> ./chocolate-doom -iwad /home/username/other/doom//doom2.wad  -warp 1
--> result code: 0

If you open a terminal program, and type "cd /home/username/doomstuff" (what it says for you), press enter, then type the next command "./chocolate-doom etc........" and press enter, and see if that works, and if it doesn't then it might show an error message that tells you what is wrong.

1 hour ago, andrewj said:

Using Tools -> View Logs after an attempt, there should be lines like this:

Changing current dir to: /home/username/doomstuff
--> ./chocolate-doom -iwad /home/username/other/doom//doom2.wad  -warp 1
--> result code: 0

If you open a terminal program, and type "cd /home/username/doomstuff" (what it says for you), press enter, then type the next command "./chocolate-doom etc........" and press enter, and see if that works, and if it doesn't then it might show an error message that tells you what is wrong.

Clicking on Tools -> view logs, I get the following with Chocolate Doom:

Changing current dir to: /Applications
--> ./Chocolate Doom.app -iwad /Users/blahblah/Documents/Video Games/Doom Wad files/doom2.wad -file /Users/blahblah/Desktop/Testing1.wad  -warp 1
--> result code: 32512

And with GZDoom:

Changing current dir to: /Applications
--> ./GZDoom.app -iwad /Users/blahblah/Documents/Video Games/Doom Wad files/doom2.wad -file /Users/blahblah/Desktop/Testing1.wad  -warp 1
--> result code: 32256

When I do what you asked in Terminal, I get the following: (and it took me a while to get Chocolate Doom.app to work because of the space in the name. Had to Google that...)

Blahs-Mini-3:applications blahblah$ ./GZDoom.app
-bash: ./GZDoom.app: is a directory
Blahs-Mini-3:applications blahblah$ ./Chocolate Doom.app
-bash: ./Chocolate: No such file or directory
Blahs-Mini-3:applications blahblah$ ./Chocolate-Doom.app
-bash: ./Chocolate-Doom.app: No such file or directory
Blahs-Mini-3:applications blahblah$ ./Chocolate\Doom.app
-bash: ./ChocolateDoom.app: No such file or directory
Blahs-Mini-3:applications blahblah$ ./Chocolate\ Doom.app
-bash: ./Chocolate Doom.app: is a directory

So there is two issues here, the lesser one is that chocolate doom app has a space in the name, which doesn't work because of the way Eureka runs programs (a bug which could be fixed).

The major issue is that Eureka tries to run a "xxx.app" which is really a directory, but in MacOS the real executable is inside that directory.  I have no idea how to fix that (in Eureka), or if any workaround is possible on your end.  Sorry I can't be of any more help.

6 hours ago, andrewj said:

So there is two issues here, the lesser one is that chocolate doom app has a space in the name, which doesn't work because of the way Eureka runs programs (a bug which could be fixed).

The major issue is that Eureka tries to run a "xxx.app" which is really a directory, but in MacOS the real executable is inside that directory.  I have no idea how to fix that (in Eureka), or if any workaround is possible on your end.  Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Eureka! I got it to work! It's a bit of a hack, but it works. 

When you reminded me that on the Mac, .apps are actually folders, a light bulb went off in my head. I went to GZDOOM and went: right click -> show package contents and I found the executable inside. Then I dragged the executable towards Terminal to get the correct path and then I opened the misc.cfg files in the Application Support folder and copied and pasted the following:

port_path zdoom |/Applications/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/gzdoom

I'm sure that if I renamed Chocolate Doom to ChocolateDoom, it would work as well. 

I think we can say this mystery has been solved. Thanks for your time and help!

I also have the same issue, so I put the executable in the folder I made to put all my doom stuff in (first image), but what do you mean by terminal? does it matter where you out it? Also, I got to the Application Support folder and I don't know where misc.cfg files are located.  

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 6.48.32 AM.png

On 12/20/2022 at 3:48 PM, Weaseln_hecktor said:

I also have the same issue, so I put the executable in the folder I made to put all my doom stuff in (first image), but what do you mean by terminal? does it matter where you out it? Also, I got to the Application Support folder and I don't know where misc.cfg files are located.  

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 6.48.32 AM.png

The Terminal is not important, per se. I just used it to spit out the file path for me automatically so I didn’t have to type it out by hand. 

As for the misc.cfg file… I don’t exactly remember where it is and my computer is 400 km away.