Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

Good to see that this project isn't dead anymore! I hope this time it will be finished, i wish you all good luck!

5 hours ago, ImpHuman said:

can i make e1m7?

Sure. This is your first post though (welcome to DW!)... so I have to ask, have you ever made a map before? Not that this is "pros only" or anything. I didn't think to put a quality level in the requirements, I guess I had "IWAD-quality-or-better" in my head.

8 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Sure. This is your first post though (welcome to DW!)... so I have to ask, have you ever made a map before? Not that this is "pros only" or anything. I didn't think to put a quality level in the requirements, I guess I had "IWAD-quality-or-better" in my head.

its my first post, but not my first project! i just lost my password to an old account :P

20 hours ago, ImpHuman said:

its my first post, but not my first project! i just lost my password to an old account :P

What was your old account name? Maybe that can help give some insight. :)

15 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

What was your old account name? Maybe that can help give some insight. :)

TheOxingey if i remember correctly

Yea I got a notification from being mentioned through the edited first post, and I've been doing a lot of work on the map. Hopefully the map will be vanilla compatible so I don't have to do this all over again... It seems like there are no issues present for now thankfully. (edit: Should have probably mentioned that I do test this with chocorenderlimits and stuff)

I think it's close to being finished, so expect the map to be coming soon.

Here's some screenshots:

Spoiler

doom13.png.edcf569dfab31eacaf08e620237a17a6.pngdoom12.png.d2a47007c4284690f53ee8865da9cfb3.pngdoom11.png.94bfb7e16eb985ff79e4a1d6d4e5e5c9.png

Edited by LGmaire

13 hours ago, LGmaire said:

Hopefully the map will be vanilla compatible so I don't have to do this all over again... It seems like there are no issues present for now thankfully.

I recommend using Visplane Explorer often to see the limits approaching before you cross them. Also its really helpful to have Chocorenderlimits around in case of a real head-scratcher.

Well, I finished the map in like 3 or 4 days, I already forgot...

Whatever, what matters is that the map is done and I hope it's good enough to pass. I tested it multiple times and it seems to run in vanilla with no issues, so hopefully no problems will be found for this. (Hopefully I didn't fuck anything up when releasing this, I'm tired right now... You can look at the screenshots I posted above if you want to take a look at the map.)

LGneverdiessubv2.zip

Edited by LGmaire : Updated the map

@magicsofa oh, got tagged. E3M9 was basically done, but I just want to remaster it with a better visual, same applies to E2M9 since that map was made in like what 3 hours? So yeah, feel free to put asterisk on that map too. I'll probably supply the remaster version in the next few months

And if you're interested, here's the old E2M9 and E3M9, I believe this is the latest one yet.

E2M9wesaw95.rar

UpdatedE3M9.zip

Unfortunately, again, I can't work on this, for the last time. I'm going to an early college high school and I'm exhausted every day, meaning that the work won't be good. Again, I'm deeply sorry but I can't just work on a thing like this right now.

3 hours ago, openxt said:

Unfortunately, again, I can't work on this, for the last time. I'm going to an early college high school and I'm exhausted every day, meaning that the work won't be good. Again, I'm deeply sorry but I can't just work on a thing like this right now.

No worries, opened up E2M7 slot

On 11/1/2022 at 8:37 PM, LGmaire said:

Well, I finished the map in like 3 or 4 days, I already forgot...

Whatever, what matters is that the map is done and I hope it's good enough to pass. I tested it multiple times and it seems to run in vanilla with no issues, so hopefully no problems will be found for this. (Hopefully I didn't fuck anything up when releasing this, I'm tired right now... You can look at the screenshots I posted above if you want to take a look at the map.)

LGNeverDiesSub.zip

Nice map! I like the difficulty on UV. I didn't play the lower difficulties but they look fine in the editor, except for the trap room for switch behind the blue door. I think this room is fine for UV but should have less meat for HMP and lower.

I was really confused by the circular caco room, with a switch next to a teleporter. The problem is that the teleport line blocks you from using the switch line in vanilla. Forgetting this, I did try to hit it, then gave up thinking it was just a decoration. I'm not sure if that was intended but perhaps this puzzle could be reworked, such as making the switch unreachable unless you walk through the teleports correctly. Or just make the switch easily reachable... I thought telefragging cramped cacos was fun and memorable, whereas the switch hunt just killed the momentum for me.

Overall the visuals were pretty good, with nice variation for some of the different areas. The wooden area is a lot of wood though, and could benefit from some breaking up with supports/other colors/etc. More lighting contrast might be nice as well - for example, in the area with CEIL1_3 lights, the bright sectors are only 160 brightness. I think these would look a lot better at 192 or 208.

The western lava pit outside is inescapable (despite having two radsuits in it, lol). Also the radsuits are kinda overkill since the lava doesn't actually lead anywhere... I kept looking around for a secret there. The blue armor secret was cute but the teleport line is skippable if you run fast enough... I recommend adding a secondary line around 8 units behind it to prevent this. The trap in the blue room is also vulnerable to skipping, but harder to fix because it's supposed to be a one-time-use. Making it more angled would be slightly safer.

All pretty minor criticisms, overall it's a fun map with a good amount of action throughout, nice job!

6 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Nice map! I like the difficulty on UV. I didn't play the lower difficulties but they look fine in the editor, except for the trap room for switch behind the blue door. I think this room is fine for UV but should have less meat for HMP and lower.

I was really confused by the circular caco room, with a switch next to a teleporter. The problem is that the teleport line blocks you from using the switch line in vanilla. Forgetting this, I did try to hit it, then gave up thinking it was just a decoration. I'm not sure if that was intended but perhaps this puzzle could be reworked, such as making the switch unreachable unless you walk through the teleports correctly. Or just make the switch easily reachable... I thought telefragging cramped cacos was fun and memorable, whereas the switch hunt just killed the momentum for me.

Overall the visuals were pretty good, with nice variation for some of the different areas. The wooden area is a lot of wood though, and could benefit from some breaking up with supports/other colors/etc. More lighting contrast might be nice as well - for example, in the area with CEIL1_3 lights, the bright sectors are only 160 brightness. I think these would look a lot better at 192 or 208.

The western lava pit outside is inescapable (despite having two radsuits in it, lol). Also the radsuits are kinda overkill since the lava doesn't actually lead anywhere... I kept looking around for a secret there. The blue armor secret was cute but the teleport line is skippable if you run fast enough... I recommend adding a secondary line around 8 units behind it to prevent this. The trap in the blue room is also vulnerable to skipping, but harder to fix because it's supposed to be a one-time-use. Making it more angled would be slightly safer.

All pretty minor criticisms, overall it's a fun map with a good amount of action throughout, nice job!

Thank you! I understand all of the issues shown and I have done some changes to fix them.

I thought the wooden sections were good enough, but I do admit I kinda rushed the map visually speaking cause I just wanted this submission out. I'll take my time with submissions next time and I'll add some more detail to the rooms like with the early ones.

E1M1 progress... I always imagined there was more to E1M1 when I was younger, I would often try to get up onto the ledges in the computer room thinking there had to be a secret room there (maybe I was confused with the beginning of Quake?). So I'm trying to use that as a concept, by creating some of those imaginary extended areas. Also yes I made a shuttle, lol

scr1.png.ef230833d8651e236d2d572c6e5b4869.png

scr2.jpg.ac72f5b50a9d9847eac3e9479be6923b.jpg

@LGmaire haven't had a chance to look at your revision but I will shortly

I've cleaned up a few missing flats in E3M8 and a ton of vanilla-breaking textures in E1M2. Here's the latest build:

Since it's been quite some time without hearing back, the following slots are now free:

E2M1 (@Sergeant_Mark_IV)
E2M4 (@Sergeant_Mark_IV)
E2M5 (@snapshot)
E3M4 (@ognjen)
E3M5 (@Noiser)
E3M6 (@Vaeros)
E4M1 (@Vaeros)
E4M6 (@Vaeros)
E4M8 (@Darmak Jägger)

I figured I'd tag the people whose slots are freeing up in case they want to chime back in before anyone else claims them. But, it will be first-come-first-serve so don't wait if you want to join the project! Just a reminder, these are vanilla compatible Doom 1 maps that take some vague inspiration from the respective IWAD map, and then run wild! (I.e. not from memory, or even an "homage" necessarily).

Edited by magicsofa