Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

@Yumheart

Thanks for the feedback! I made sure to improve the navigation through the map so the player wouldn't get lost.

New version.

1. Swapped armor and shotgun places depending on difficulty.

2. Made so that the player would be forced back in the computer room until they find the yellow key.

3. Added a computer area map in a secret room.

4. Changed the teleporter to a quick staircase up the next floor.

Grapes_of_Wrath.zip

Edited by DukeOfDoom

Hey friends, just dropping in to say I'm still here, I'll be updating the main archive soon but I was hoping to get the last two slots filled or at least placeholder'd. @mr-around has been in contact... @Azuris I haven't heard from you, please let me know if you're still working on it!

@taufan99 and @Pegleg I think are the main incomplete maps but I could be forgetting some as its been a while since I did any testing. 

22 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Hey friends, just dropping in to say I'm still here, I'll be updating the main archive soon but I was hoping to get the last two slots filled or at least placeholder'd. @mr-around has been in contact... @Azuris I haven't heard from you, please let me know if you're still working on it!

@taufan99 and @Pegleg I think are the main incomplete maps but I could be forgetting some as its been a while since I did any testing. 

Good to see you back, Hopefully the remaining maps are finished soon.

Any hopes of this being finished soon?  I have been really looking forward to this one.

22 hours ago, jgs1989 said:

Any hopes of this being finished soon?  I have been really looking forward to this one.

How soon I can't say, but it will be finished. I've been pretty swamped but my schedule should be opening up a little bit for the next couple months so assuming those last maps can get finished I should be able to polish this thing off within that time. 

To begin with, I want to apologize for taking so long to submit a finished map, but I have finally been able to finish it, so here it is.

95nde1m6_v1.zip

Title: Process Annex Alpha (or Central Processing, if you're keeping the names the same)

Author: Pegleg

Map slot: E1M6

Difficulties: Implemented

Co-op: Included

DM: Starts only

Tested with: Chocolate Doom 3.0.0, Chocorenderlimits 1.5.0, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, ZDoom 2.8.1, Woof 10.2.0, GZDoom 3.2.5, GZDoom 4.7.1

95nde1m6_01.png.78a77fd015eb02c0faa84cf0137e3213.png95nde1m6_02.png.97ea24fd9c53741ea758d8f1c13698e3.png95nde1m6_03.png.6420d4d2d28de8a9b5d2b416d37d91ad.png

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 8:11 PM, Pegleg said:

To begin with, I want to apologize for taking so long to submit a finished map, but I have finally been able to finish it, so here it is.

No problem! And thanks!

neverdie.zip

Updated the main archive and finally getting around to some of the submissions that I hadn't looked at yet. I got up to middle of E3 and will hit the rest later...

E1M7 @Somniac + LGmaire

Spoiler

This little collaboration turned out really nice! For some reason the progression threw me off, but maybe it's just because I haven't played Doom in a while. The combat is great, although too many rockets. There was this one spot on the floor where it looks like it was supposed to be a cut-out of the hexagon tiles, that got moved and now it isn't aligned:

e1m7.png.f2cd025544eccd39ec32416360c2f361.png

E2M3 @DukeOfDoom

Spoiler

I had a rough time with this one. I didn't check if difficulty settings are implemented, but I think HMP and below should be toned down significantly, especially at the start. The abundance of damaging floors (and damaging gargoyle face... what's up with that? was that in the original?) is pretty brutal considering the monster pressure. Overall this plays (and looks, sometimes) more like an E4 gauntlet. Not necessarily bad, but a little out of place considering where it is in the episodes.

The elevator room was quite frustrating, lots of waiting around for a caco to fall on your head. I also once ended up there with just rockets, heh. Maybe this room could be squashed a bit so that it's less time consuming and non-freelook-friendly?

The red door is followed by a door with blue lights on it, but isn't actually locked. Also, I thought it was a bit confusing to have some vines be solid and others allow you to pass through.

E2M6 @finnks13 

Spoiler

um, sorry I never commented on this one? Started off -amazing- with a focus on rocket placement. But then I bombed out with VPO! The map didn't seem that big so it should be fixable, but anyway I didn't look deeply into it yet. I think it happened when I got a key or something, basically a door opened to give a long view across the map.

E2M8 @Yumheart

Spoiler

This is all I have to say about this:

e2m8.png.047a7170dda22c6c77abc75965c0e164.png

Spoiler

Ok, I actually played the map the intended way... pretty cool and brutal puzzle map, the reward at the end was oooohh so sweet. BUTT there was a second chance to cheese the cyber at the last room as well, since you can hit him from the ledge before jumping down:

e2m8b.png.3492469f7413829a5f0a2537f10aaeb6.png

That's him blowing up behind the barrier after I emptied my BFG, and there was still ammo I could go grab if needed. The first cheese method could be left in as only pro vanilla cheesemongers will know to do it, but this one should really be fixed since it requires no effort. Just closing that 1-pixel gap should do it I think?

@mr-around and @Azuris are you guys still working?

image.png

Edited by magicsofa

@magicsofa My submission is only partial, and now I'm working on it again. Might not still be up there, but I'll be adding more things than before.

9 hours ago, magicsofa said:

@mr-aroundand @Azuris are you guys still working? 

Hey, is comapping possible in this project? Cool if someone would help me finish and bring some new ideas to E1M4. Otherwise, just give me more time

12 hours ago, magicsofa said:

um, sorry I never commented on this one? Started off -amazing- with a focus on rocket placement. But then I bombed out with VPO! The map didn't seem that big so it should be fixable, but anyway I didn't look deeply into it yet. I think it happened when I got a key or something, basically a door opened to give a long view across the map.

Don't worry about not getting round to it until now, it's fine!

I have no idea how I managed to miss a VPO this large, but I believe I've fixed it now (seems to be a classic case of crash-by-overly-long-sightline :P). I've also taken the oppourtunity to make some slight improvements to the visuals in a couple of areas. Hopefully there shouldn't be any more crashing problems! 

95_finnks_v2.zip

Posted (edited)

20240229_153732.jpg.be65b319b17c5c4a5b727f733cb70ccf.jpg

(will get on it)
What did you mean with the last screenshot? I can't spot any bugs there :/

On 3/31/2024 at 4:05 AM, magicsofa said:

E1M7 @Somniac + LGmaire

Reveal hidden contents

This little collaboration turned out really nice! For some reason the progression threw me off, but maybe it's just because I haven't played Doom in a while. The combat is great, although too many rockets. There was this one spot on the floor where it looks like it was supposed to be a cut-out of the hexagon tiles, that got moved and now it isn't aligned:

e1m7.png.f2cd025544eccd39ec32416360c2f361.png

I could do with giving this map a once-over just for final tweaking, I'll fix that floor and adjust some rockets while I do so. That reminds me, I still need to put in DM starts + lines to open all the doors and make it DM-friendly!

On 3/31/2024 at 8:16 AM, mr-around said:

Hey, is comapping possible in this project? Cool if someone would help me finish and bring some new ideas to E1M4. Otherwise, just give me more time

Totally, I recommend sharing what you have so that people might see it and become interested

1 hour ago, Yumheart said:

(will get on it)
What did you mean with the last screenshot? I can't spot any bugs there :/

Ugh, DW is bugging out and attaching the screenshot at the end of the post even when I say NO. There is a spoiler within the first spoiler with explanation, maybe you missed it?... in the second screenshot, I have killed the cyberdemon just by shooting from the ledge. 

@magicsofa

Thanks for the feedback!

1. The damaging face floor appears in E2M5, in a marble hallway near a MARBFAC2 texture.

2. I can't help but think that the elevator section might take a bit too long to properly fix. Could removing the zombiemen on platforms and locking the Cacodemon vent with Block Monsters line be a nice start?

3. The locked doors are usually marked with DOORBLU/DOORBLU2, that was how it was in the original Doom.

4. Perhaps I could reduce the amount of enemies and/or add some more useful items in order to balance the map out a bit?

15 hours ago, DukeOfDoom said:

1. The damaging face floor appears in E2M5, in a marble hallway near a MARBFAC2 texture.

Yeah, I thought I remembered it. Not the IWAD's best moment in my opinion... the underlying idea is cool, but in practice having a sneaky damage like that can be annoying. If it were simply removed I don't think anyone would miss it, or if it must stay then perhaps it could be dressed up in some way to be more obvious.

2. I can't help but think that the elevator section might take a bit too long to properly fix. Could removing the zombiemen on platforms and locking the Cacodemon vent with Block Monsters line be a nice start?

That's not a bad idea, I was thinking change caco with an Imp for below UV. That gives players the opt-in for tomatoes on their head, if they want it :)

3. The locked doors are usually marked with DOORBLU/DOORBLU2, that was how it was in the original Doom.

I know, the light texture is just so similar and being placed exactly like a locked door texture makes it seem like that's your intention. Furthermore, it comes directly after a locked red door, leading players (read: me) to instantly turn around. 

4. Perhaps I could reduce the amount of enemies and/or add some more useful items in order to balance the map out a bit?

Again, just for HMP and below is fine. I see now that you did some of that already... I think having the shotgun in the starting room on HMP as well would help a lot. 

Posted (edited)

@magicsofa

Thanks!

Here's the new version, which includes:

1. The LITEBLU4 door lights are replaced with LITE5. Some walkable vines are also removed (that are not part of the secret).

2. Decreased the amount of monsters (and made those who do remain for Ultra-Violence/HMP)

3. Made the gameplay a bit less buggy and more forgiving.

4. Removed the damaging face floors.

5. Added some more ammo just in case.

Grapes_of_Wrath.zip

New version of E1M7, potentially final unless I've missed anything.

Changes:

- changed blue key setup, removed the lowering platform (switch for it now opens a 3rd secret) - felt it made the progression smoother
- added a bunch more lighting detail
- removed some floor detail
- removed 3-4 boxes of rockets
- DM starts + weapons and ammo added (players 1 & 2 cross linedefs to open all the doors in the map)
- tidied up automap (secrets, monster closets & teleports hidden)

Tested again in Chocolate Doom and CRL. There's one spot in the blue key area where it hits 127 visplanes, it was going over but I moved a bit of floor up which seems to have sorted it and I can't get it to go higher now. Let me know if it crashes for you and I'll tidy it up more. I figured this map should probably have a name, I just dunno what at the moment :p

Hey there, I have been looking forward to this wad for a long time...I have been playing the current version you have available and I am really enjoying it so far.  I would like to help you guys fix issues with maps as they are found...I have encountered a few issues with e2m2 (really like this map btw)...the first is there are 5 little pillars that act as a switch to open a nearby secret, but these 5 little pillars seem to be mistakenly tagged as secrets.  Another issue is there is a switch that opens 2 doors leading to the yellow key (if I remember correctly), but this switch is one time use, so if you don't enter the doors when they first open after hitting the switch you become soft-locked.  There is also a monster closet that seems broken...I have triggered every secret (except the 5 mistaken pillars) and reached the exit, but these monsters seem forever stuck in this closet.  I have attached screenshots of everything I have described.

e2m2 5 mistaken secret sectors.png

e2m2 broken monster closet.png

e2m2 single use switch map.png

e2m2 single use switch.png

On 3/31/2024 at 8:16 AM, mr-around said:

If you need a co-mapper, I'd be down to help out?

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 4:15 PM, Somniac said:

New version of E1M7, potentially final unless I've missed anything.

Hey, this map is kindof awesome. I died without kill all 100+ monsters on HMP. I'll get back

to it cuz it serves me right for attempting this late in my day. I notice you say you placed

DM starts. I might hook up a server tomorrow to check out that aspect. Thanks!

+++++++-----------------------------------------+++++++

Okay,

2nd try, this time I didn't die but quit instead when I found a possible linedef tag error.

Should the linedef be marked "impassible"?

Also, started up a DM server with this file and found my player unable to escape its

little protection garage.

Spoiler

95e1m7-1.png.73e4aa76d7c746051d2ef0d691a147ab.png

95E1M7testDM.png.0bd56f6899f08fa4a9d73f25b89fe28c.png

Edited by prfunky : additional information

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 8:07 AM, prfunky said:

Hey, this map is kindof awesome. I died without kill all 100+ monsters on HMP. I'll get back

to it cuz it serves me right for attempting this late in my day. I notice you say you placed

DM starts. I might hook up a server tomorrow to check out that aspect. Thanks!

+++++++-----------------------------------------+++++++

Okay,

2nd try, this time I didn't die but quit instead when I found a possible linedef tag error.

Should the linedef be marked "impassible"?

Also, started up a DM server with this file and found my player unable to escape its

little protection garage.

Reveal hidden contents

95e1m7-1.png.73e4aa76d7c746051d2ef0d691a147ab.png

95E1M7testDM.png.0bd56f6899f08fa4a9d73f25b89fe28c.png

Thanks for spotting those bugs! I forgot to set the teleport destinations properly. I'm confused by that linedef though, its marked as impassable and works properly in Chocolate and Crispy Doom. It looked like you were using Zandronum so I opened the map in it and...surprise, you can walk right through it! I have no idea what would cause that behaviour. Perhaps it doesn't like the nodebuilder I used (zokumbsp)? It doesn't happen in GZDoom, I just checked.

New version of the map - DM starts fixed.

Edited by Somniac

Been going through my map e4m9, fixing errors. I also ccurrently added a plasma gun right before the first cyberdemon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Somniac said:

. Perhaps it doesn't like the nodebuilder I used (zokumbsp)? It doesn't happen in GZDoom, I just checked.

Ah, yes. I read about zokumbsp quite some time ago and gave it a try with one of my maps. I was trying to

eliminate some of the vertical line bleedthrough one gets sometimes when too many vertices line up in a row.

It didn't wipe all of them out but cut them down by about 75%. Then, I found it had wiped out some of my

linedef properties so I just switched back to Zen and never tampered my map with Zokum again. I figured it

would be too much of a PITA to check each and every linedef for issues.

BTW, although I mostly test in Zandronum, which is where I found this ledge thing, I actually did the DM

start find using LzDoom.

On 4/14/2024 at 9:16 PM, JustAthel said:

If you need a co-mapper, I'd be down to help out?

Yeah! A littled delayed reply but once you are able to that's cool