Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

Halloween wad - Beneath Phobos Lab #5

Some random mid-play thoughts and then final comments:

• Darkness + barrel dynamic is cool
  • Early action gets a little tedious at times. I thought an earlier rocket launcher or plasma gun with very limited ammo might have been a nice touch. Maybe in a secret…
  • I really liked the sloped techgreen
  • I enjoy this light dynamic: constant dimming and brightening with some areas having light switches
  • Big finale, although somewhat lacking in identity, is still a nice challenge and a good time. I like how it’s not flooded with cells and you have to watch your rocket shots. The timing got a little off, though, as the Mastermind showed up at the very end and we just kinda boringly dueled one on one. I also think a second arch-vile would not at all be overkill for Ultra-Violence.
  • I finished 94/64/33 in 34:43.
  • Good looking map as usual.
  • I would say that overall it has a nice, spooky atmosphere, but still, the whole thing seems to be side dish. Obviously, there’s a big climax, but something about the rest feels a bit subdued. I think a big thing missing for me personally is significant exploration. My favorite part was the light visor part because that was a bit of a frantic maze race against time. Other than that, there was very little deciding where to go and watching it all come together. Sadly, I would say what I think is your greatest strength as a mapper, based on previous work, was not utilized here. But hey, we’re allowed to do styles that are not our trademark.
  • As for ammo issues, I got very close to empty just one time and then recovered. I would say the version I played is fine for balance purposes.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

• I would say that overall it has a nice, spooky atmosphere, but still, the whole thing seems to be side dish. Obviously, there’s a big climax, but something about the rest feels a bit subdued. I think a big thing missing for me personally is significant exploration. My favorite part was the light visor part because that was a bit of a frantic maze race against time. Other than that, there was very little deciding where to go and watching it all come together. Sadly, I would say what I think is your greatest strength as a mapper, based on previous work, was not utilized here. But hey, we’re allowed to do styles that are not our trademark.

Hey man, thanks for the review. Yes this is the most linear map I've ever made. It was originally going to be a short and simple map but grew into a longer but simple map. Ironically, most reviewers complain that my maps are not linear enough LOL Now I'm inspired to make my next map super non linear :P

An earlier rocket launcher as a secret is a good tip...hmmm I might put that idea into the final build.

Thanks for the feedback, hope you liked it. I miss your review videos :)