Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Why can I hear monster closets and clip through walls in my map?

Question

Strange things are happening in one of my maps when I test it in prboom+ (2.6.2). I noticed that at several different points in the map I am deafened by the sounds of hundreds of monsters in a closet, although the closets in question are miles away. Also in one area I noticed that I can clip through some pillars - which aren't sectors - and my bullet puffs don't appear on walls. I also can't hit enemies (but they can still shoot at me).

I checked in Doombuilder and the sectors seem fine and it works in GZdoom with no problems. The map is quite large with over 6000 sectors and 40000 linedefs. The complevel is set to current prboom+ but I've also tested it with Boom v2.02 - which is what it's intended to run on.

3 answers to this question

You'll need to post the map for it to be diagnosed. However as a reminder, remember that no two points in your map can be further from each other than 32767 units on the x or y, otherwise various blockmap calculations overflow.

Edited by Edward850

On 10/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, Edward850 said:

You'll need to post the map for it to be diagnosed. However as a reminder, remember that no two points in your map can be further from each other than 32767 units on the x or y, otherwise various blockmap calculations overflow.

Didn't know this, that's probably the cause then. I'll try moving some stuff around but otherwise I guess I'll just have to reccommend people play it on GZdoom.

It's probably best to have monster closets and control sectors not too far away. There's no need to have them tens of thousands of units away from the closest map point. They can be much closer to the main map without being audible. In addition, automap size is based on the distance between the farthest sectors apart, even if the player can't reach there.