Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BassDJ

DOOM Arachnotron Invasion - initial release

The map plays really well I only found one issue in the image below if the player activates the switch before they kill the imps it can make it troublesome to kill them later on also I'd update the OP to include that 'jumping' is required it was taking me forever to figure out how to get the last secret before I just gave up and watched how you did it in your playthrough of the map 

Spoiler

Screenshot 2022-11-06 002858.jpg

On 11/5/2022 at 2:08 AM, StalkerBlade said:

An excellent map with excellent attention to lighting

Thanks, I see (colored) lighting as a very important thing in games in general. I can remember playing Quake 2 without a 3d card, then I bought my first 3d card and suddenly the whole game came to life. (Tithout 3d card all lights are white, with a 3d card lights are colored).

On 11/6/2022 at 5:37 AM, United VirusX said:

The map plays really well I only found one issue in the image below if the player activates the switch before they kill the imps it can make it troublesome to kill them later on also I'd update the OP to include that 'jumping' is required it was taking me forever to figure out how to get the last secret before I just gave up and watched how you did it in your playthrough of the map 

Hide contents

Screenshot 2022-11-06 002858.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I'm happy that it plays well because it's hard to judge by myself. Both points are very helpfull. The shotgun shells in front of the imps are more or less a mini secret so I wanted to make it inaccessible after raising the platforms. Ofcourse you'll miss this the first time you play the map. I might add a button in the pit so it acts as an elevator and you won't have to die when you fall in. There's already a button which make the other raised platform act as an elevator so you can reach the secret behind it later on. I tried to make jumping optional but totally oferlooked that last secret . I'll think about this.

I ended up doing a full playthrough of the map its deff easy to die but I think that's just because of D64ifier's addons making it harder for me but it's an excellent level I look forward to anything else you make.

First map in 28 years huh?? Well let me offer you a resounding WELCOME BACK because this thing is gnarly! Visually this thing is a feast and makes fantastic use of the Doom 64 assets and UDMF features without coming across as gimmicky. From the looks alone, if you told me you were a seasoned mapper whose been at it for years I'd take you at your word.

Gameplay I think it was mostly positives with a few sore spots for me personally, mostly just due to the resource balancing. That being said, I also own that I played it on UV and I made some critical mistakes that put me on my back foot for a large portion of the map. I'm not a HUGE fan of secrets carrying so much influence over the balance in the map, but on the flip side, there were enough of them that it is very likely you will stumble across at least one or two. Ultimately, I'm willing to not nitpick too much because of this being your first foray back into mapping after such a hiatus. It's great work and I can't wait to see what you've got cooking up next.

Here's a video of my playthrough if you're interested:

Fantastic map and an excellent showcase of the Doom 64ifier mod!  Love the story and concept of a future Hangar base, and the Doom 64 textures look fantastic.  The Doom 64 style in general looks really good with the high level of detail afforded in a UDMF map, I really dig it.  Great interconnected design.  The outside areas were incredible with the lighting and high quality skybox you used - honestly one of the best I've ever seen.  Gameplay I found leaned in well to the atmospheric elements - not too hard at all, but enough to keep you on your toes in places.  I will say after finding a few secrets I had more than enough resources to finish the map and felt it to be slightly anticlimactic, as I expected some sort of big final arachnotron battle. Though knowing this might be part of an episode it makes a lot of sense as a first map.  All around great job, would look forward to more maps like this if the episode goes ahead!

I try to learn to increase my map skills by listening to all comments carefully. I really appreciate it! Currently I'm working on a totally different E1M1 remake using doom 3 textures. You can find a preview on my youtube channel. I also did a small improvement on the map of this thread. This video shows how to play it with 100% secrets:

Would it be possible to include textures from those other required mods as well? So that it I wont want entire mod I could still just play the map itself?

Idea would be to make map not depend on anything else that iwad so that people can download just 1 file and start playing.

Right now this is how I seed:

wITVpK3.png

20 hours ago, Doom4fun said:

Would it be possible to include textures from those other required mods as well? So that it I wont want entire mod I could still just play the map itself?

Idea would be to make map not depend on anything else that iwad so that people can download just 1 file and start playing.

Right now this is how I seed:

wITVpK3.png

I understand and I could include the textures but it still would be incorrect. The D64ifier also changes a lot in lighting for example. So by only including the textures the map would be to bright. There are more things that are changed by the mod and I would need to include it completely. I hope it's not to much trouble to also include D64ifier-CORE.pk3. This is the only required extra file.

wow this is looking absolutely incredible. idk which i like better lol ive always been partial to the project brutality community, but with the d64 weapons and enemies they both look great. keep up the fantastic work :)

On 11/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, United VirusX said:

I ended up doing a full playthrough of the map its deff easy to die but I think that's just because of D64ifier's addons making it harder for me but it's an excellent level I look forward to anything else you make.

out of curiosity, the music track thats featured...who composed it? it sounds like immorphers mix from quake 64. i also wasnt sure if this is available to download or not. anyways it definitely fits this great map

19 hours ago, sbw37 said:

out of curiosity, the music track thats featured...who composed it? it sounds like immorphers mix from quake 64. i also wasnt sure if this is available to download or not. anyways it definitely fits this great map

not sure tbh i know its from Q64 but I have no clue if its a remixed version 

On 4/16/2023 at 5:52 AM, sbw37 said:

The music in the D64ifier is the music from Doom64. It plays a random song of Doom64 everytime you enter a map. You mentioned you like to see more I make. I just updated another project earlier this week called 'Doom - The Merge': 

I hope you like that also. Thanks for the compliments and playthrough!