Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Angry Video Game Nerd reviews Doom (and Doom ports)

wasnt crazy about his opinion on the PSX music but whatever, the rest of the video was fun.

Edited by Dub Bag

On 10/30/2022 at 7:24 PM, Rudolph said:

Yeah, that was weird. Maybe James is saving it for a future episode.

Probably. Personally, I was hoping for a section on Doom 3, since he's done PS2 era and Wii era videos now. I suppose though he only wanted to focus on the classic Dooms from when he was growing up. Here's hoping it gets a video though, because Doom 3 has become something of a classic in its own right.

6 hours ago, Robo_Cola said:

I haven't really watched the AVGN for a couple of years since it seems like his heart isn't quite in it anymore (he's mellowed out a bit for starters).
But I liked this episode, just goes to show anybody can get passionate about Doom and put on a good performance again.

When you've played all the bad games of the  NES and Genesis eras, eventually you start to really scrape the bottom of the barrel. He kind of has to struggle to find weird obscurities to talk about.

It's nice though seeing a video about a more familiar well known title, especially a game he actually likes a lot. I enjoyed his fairly recent Contra video a lot too.

I've long outgrown AVGN's schtick, but I knew I HAD to come back and check this one out. The show's definitely past its prime at this point, but I still found it pretty entertaining and a good reminder of why I managed to watch James for 10 years straight.

As for your inquiry, @Rudolph, here's a handy video you can watch that will provide you with more info regarding Screenwave and why the AVGN fanbase appears to be really divided nowadays.

On 10/30/2022 at 4:58 PM, Lizardcommando said:

Lol, it got age-restricted? Was it because of the BF-Shit Gun?

Probably all the f-bombs. Hey at least he doesn't self-censor the swears anymore.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

I've long outgrown AVGN's schtick,

Yeah it gets old rather quick. Sometimes the jokes are good, sometimes they are literally shit. But I like the history he goes into about old games so still sometimes watch for that.

14 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

I was a little irked by how dismissive he was of the Playstation ambient soundtrack, but otherwise a good solid episode. AVGN has been doing better this year compared to the last one and it is nice to see that happen.

I don't think is strange, the change of OST on PSX/Saturn was somewhat "controversial" among the Doom community.

5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

As for your inquiry, @Rudolph, here's a handy video you can watch that will provide you with more info regarding Screenwave and why the AVGN fanbase appears to be really divided nowadays.

Thanks! That ought to be an interesting watch.

5 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

Probably. Personally, I was hoping for a section on Doom 3, since he's done PS2 era and Wii era videos now. I suppose though he only wanted to focus on the classic Dooms from when he was growing up. Here's hoping it gets a video though, because Doom 3 has become something of a classic in its own right.

Then again, I can see him applying the same criticisms he had for Playstation Doom (no rocking music except for the main menu) and Doom 64 (too dark), so unless he decides to approach it as a horror game/impressive tech demo, James might not have much material to work with there.