Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Action Doom: Rampage Edition

You call this Rampage Edition, and yet I can't play as a baron. I've been cheated and lied to.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You call this Rampage Edition, and yet I can't play as a baron. I've been cheated and lied to.

That would actually be a pretty funny unlockable

I should also try to reach out here. One of the longer outstanding bugs was getting the zscript hud to work universally across all players and settings, which I personally found incredibly difficult, and Steve is still looking for someone who can shed some light on a potential fix. If anyone is willing to help out in these regards, please contact me or Steve.

For anyone wanting a more immediate fix, you can open up the wad in Slade (or open the wad like a zip), navigate to ActionStatusBar.txt and change the number 3 to a smaller number for a smaller hud, or a larger number for a larger hub. It accepts decimals as well.

1225054947_Screenshot2022-11-0118_15_43.png.4813f6c288b353fe4e9883dc6c1d5077.png

Edited by Kevansevans

Didn't expect this at all to happen, it's very nice to see.

Bugs:

Not really a bug, but it's weird to me, that you for the weapon slots, it doesn't use 3 and 4 respectively, instead if a weapon is on a slot 5 or 6, I need to press those keys, despite them being in the slots (a little confusing if 6 is in first slot, but 5 is in second).

The Boat is unfortunately unplayable in the current version (GZD 4.8.2, in case if GZD version is needed), as soon as I start it, it gets stuck before entering the canyon.

In the highway section, I find it a bit strange that you get the second clipboard instead of the first one (I checked an old video of the original version [VaosSA] and it was the first one) when you beat it and enter the science truck.

I will be honest, I'm kinda dissapointed because it doesn't have the artistic style of Action Doom 2, but it's great to see some love towards the first game. :P

5 hours ago, QuakedoomNukem Cz said:

Not really a bug, but it's weird to me, that you for the weapon slots, it doesn't use 3 and 4 respectively, instead if a weapon is on a slot 5 or 6, I need to press those keys, despite them being in the slots (a little confusing if 6 is in first slot, but 5 is in second).

Unfortunately, the latest version of GZDoom does not allow for reassigning the slots of weapons. It's been explained why to me before by a few GZDoom devs, and it's not out of the question exactly for a future update, but it'll take a lot more work than just allowing this number to be changed.

1556995389_Screenshot2022-11-0318_49_52.png.41eb7f07436f8600543606211785ea88.png

This was something I tried doing from the get-go when I got the slot system working.

6 hours ago, QuakedoomNukem Cz said:

The Boat is unfortunately unplayable in the current version (GZD 4.8.2, in case if GZD version is needed), as soon as I start it, it gets stuck before entering the canyon.

I can't replicate this, it always seems to work for me...

9 hours ago, QuakedoomNukem Cz said:

Here's a video of the boat bug in question. And much like the original, sometimes cash doesn't give you any points for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMUsjDx4Lg

The cash bug is probably related to the old code that was used to apply points and some items were never tagged. The boat issue, however, I can't replicate. I installed a clean copy of GZDoom 4.8.2 and can't replicate it... it also works with the lasted development build. Are you running any additional addons?

Yep, this rules. Takes a good wad and puts it over the top. Really wonderful additions, they make the entire experience that much more sleek and fun!

For some reason I had always assumed that Action Doom took place in a future long after Doom, but I just noticed small details like the rabbit on the ship at the end and the mention of the Deimos base... was it this meant to act as a prequel? or was the whole thing with Deimos more meant as a setup for an Action Doom 3?

Anyway I have a suggestion for the text file. Right now it mentions that the maps "render properly in GZDoom's hardware mode", but it seems more like hardware is required; the lighting clearly looks completely wrong in software (I was wondering at one point what was going, as I remembered the original release's lighting being quite good), and more seriously the game crashes during some parts (most notably during the escape sequence in MAP03) in both software modes. I'd suggest making it more explicit that the wad should only be run in hardware.

Nice to see both games remastered like this.

Just did a playthrough of the remaster, loved the original!

After the first boss battle, when you go into the elevator, it seems to trigger a crash, pretty consistently. The best way to avoid it seems to be to not look outside. After about4-5 attempts, I got past that though.

What was more frustrating was after the last big boss battle, when your escaping the exploding complex and you jump into a helicopter... turning around to face outside the helicopter also triggered a crash, and no matter how many times I tried, it always crashed in that spot, making further progression impossible.

Using GZDoom v. 4.9.0 for reference.

Edit: Also, how does one prevent the BFG from overloading and killing yourself?

Interesting, Those crashes do not exist in 4.8.2, the official build at the time of the release. Try running the mod with 4.8.2 and see if you encounter the same problems... I just did a test run and was able to replicate the crashes you described in 4.9.0 but not in 4.8.2.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:11 PM, Scuba Steve said:

Interesting, Those crashes do not exist in 4.8.2, the official build at the time of the release. Try running the mod with 4.8.2 and see if you encounter the same problems... I just did a test run and was able to replicate the crashes you described in 4.9.0 but not in 4.8.2.

Just tried it and I can confirm it doesn't happen on 4.8.2.

This release totally snuck under the radar for me until I saw it mentioned in the Cacowards. Action Doom inspired me so much as an artist and a Doom modder, seeing it get this treatment is splendid. Playing through again was a blast and I had a lot of fun, the new mechanics involving invulnerability frames definitely helped the experience feel less frustrating.

My only feedback is regarding the...

Spoiler

new weapons

...which felt a little under-baked in functionality and feedback. I didn't find the second one but the first one located in the mining/tunnel area didn't really give off the sense that it belonged with the others in both art and functionality. I think buffing it if there are any further updates would be a good idea, maybe in both range and effectiveness, but there's an overlap already with the spreadgun that'll be hard to overcome without making it redundant. That being said, great work to everyone involved!