Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wesleyjohnson

Doomlegcy opengl, when in the heck did that start happening

I just recently noticed a bug in the OpenGL rendering of DoomLegacy, but only in the colored 3d floors of rainbowstar.wad.

When a fireball, or rocket passes by a wall, the wall texture will scroll along with the fireball.

This seems to be any sprite that generates a corona.

However, I have not seen it on any other wad.

It seems to be the same with any old version of DoomLegacy, as far back as I have been able to test so far (still onging).

I am wondering if it is my OpenGL implementation that is buggy.

Is anyone else seeing this on rainbowstar.wad, the colorized 3d floors.

Easy way to test is to stand in the Yellow area of the 3d floors and watch the fireballs pass by.

I am not seeing it on the top floor.

It seems you must be in a colorized, middle or lower 3d floor.   That is awful specific for such an weird effect.

You may be able to tell that I don't trust this Radeon OpenGL implementation much.

Some days I wonder if it is really accelerated, or just faking it.

None, of my old video cards will fit into any slot on this new motherboard.

Turning off the Dynamic Lighting in OpenGL video effects stops the weir d texture scrolling.  (Video > OpenGL effects > Dynamic Lights   --> OFF  )

Thank You, but I suspect some 3d floor code interaction now.

• Please link to rainbowstar.wad
  • What Radeon IGP are you using
  • Please put everything in the OP
  • The thank you is strange because nobody else up to this point was interacting with you

Did you forget to log into an alt account, or did the person you were talking to delete all their posts, or... are you talking to yourself?

22 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Please link to rainbowstar.wad
  • What Radeon IGP are you using
  • Please put everything in the OP

Isn't wesleyjohnson the developer of Doom Legacy?

RainBowStar.wad is a DoomLegacy demo wad, that used to be available somewhere, and I think I got my copy with the DoomLegacy 1.42.

Indications are that it was created by Jive (D. 2011).

I would submit it but am not sure of the Doomworld reaction to someone submitting someone else's wad to the database.

I uploaded rainbowstar.wad and some others here, because I cannot find a site that has it available.

DoomLegacy wads filebin.

The site "wad-archive.com"  is DOWN.

The site Team Hell Spawn is still there, and has DoomLegacy wads,

The Jive database at JWD doomwadstation

is still there, but does not have rainbowstar.wad.

The DoomLegacy site link to DLW ( Doom Legacy Wads  at doomwadstation ) does not work anymore.

Mystic4 in doomworld ( mystic4 ) is available, and it works too.   Mystic7 also is similar.   Mystic8 has too many walls that do not show the effect, so is not a good test.

Mystic4 shows that it does not need to be colorized, it just needs to have a 3d floor over the wall segment.

Open the console, use "god" because there are too many monsters to ignore, and "gimme plasma".

Shooting plasma at the omega symbols that are under floors will show many of them distort when the plasma approaches.

Note: shooting a plasma at the omega on the top floor (while standing on the bottom floor) will have the omega on the bottom floor distort.  Figure that one out.

Some DoomLegacy wads are at Team Hell Spawn ( doomheaven ).  They have mystic4 and mystic7.

This is Linux 4.4.xxx using MESA.  I don't think the Radeon is going to be the problem, not unless I start hearing that users of other hardware or OS are not seeing this.

I cannot see how an OpenGL problem could be so specific to the wall texture being under a 3d floor.

Note: this may have been around for the last 15 years, and this is the first that I noticed it.  But, I have stood on that Yellow floor many many times while being shot at, and

some of those times must have been with OpenGL.   How could I have not seen this before !

And yes, when I pretty much come to a conclusion before anyone else responds, I guess I am talking to myself.

Thank you for you attention.

I just tested this with the rainbowstar.wad that you linked (what a strange map! though I guess it's a good demonstration of Legacy features). I see the deformation you describe in OpenGL but not in software. Using the plasma rifle, if I shoot inside the coloured sector right in front and to the left of the start I see the wall deform in the most funky ways when the plasma passes by it. Shooting at the upper floor also deforms the lower wall. I have an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GTX 970 so I don't think this is specific to Radeon OpenGL implementation.

Thank you Brick for that confirmation, it is not video card dependent.

Yea, Jive made a map to test and show off Legacy features, along with making other maps for Legacy.   See Doomheaven.

I am aware of one bug in the MESA implementation that affects splitplayer when using OpenGL.  The OpenGL won't honor the window boundaries for each player, at least in the MESA version that I have been stuck with for the last few years.

I think that I have a fix at least, even if I don't know why it works.

In the dynamic lighting the GL vertexes  sow and tow settings (texture positions) are overwritten with some GL lighting sow and tow (which I do not understand at all, yet).

As the lighting x,y,z are identical to the wall, reusing the GL vertexes saves some work.

As the lighting projection is done after the wall projection, this is normally not a problem, we were done with those texture positions.

When I gave the dynamic lighting its own copy of the GL vertexes, the distortion stopped.

Tested with rainbowstar.wad and mystic4.wad.

Something in the multiple floor loop MUST be reusing those GL vertexes.

Need to make a fix that is little more efficient, and does not break anything else.

Next release of DoomLegacy, any month now.

Thank you for your attention.

I have a copy of rainbowstar.wad.

Some net search says it was created by Jive.

I have not been able to find a zipped copy of it, only the copy in my wad database.

It needs to get it into a repository somewhere.

Anyone have an idea where would be appropriate.   Is there a procedure for archiving notable wads of the deceased.

Anyone with a Jive archive, or a DoomLegacy archive, should probably just grab a copy of the rainbowstar.wad from the filebin while it is there.

<<

I uploaded rainbowstar.wad and some others here, because I cannot find a site that has it available.

DoomLegacy wads filebin.

>>