Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

pnames and other stuff

I don't really understand those and I'd like to. Can someone explain each of them and where they belong? Some of the other ones are what? ff_start and ff_end or something like that. I know the basics but I don't understand their placement or what all of them are.

PNAMES lists all the patches, which are the individual wall graphics, so they can be used in TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 to make the textures you place on walls. *_START/*_END mark off flat (F), sprite (S) and patch (P) lumps (the graphics.) They are just blank lumps so that the EXE will know where the resources are. Some markers have submarkers (P1_START, etc) used to differentiate resources that are shareware, registered or DOOM II exclusive; their exact use varies (they are explained either in the help files of WAD resource editors, or here at doomworld in the FAQs/info section.)

Well, I think what I could really use is for someone who knows this stuff to look at the texture.wad I used in my last project. It was originally created by someone else and never was quite right but I added to it and made it worse which is why I had problems combining wads and I could really use it fixed and explained to me what was wrong so if I screw it up again i'll know what to do.

PNAMES: A list of all the patches, which are the actual bitmaps that you can browse, save to a file, load into a wad etc.

TEXTURE1/2: A list of all the textures, which are made up from the patches using a texture editor - these are not the actual graphics, just some data telling you how the graphics are arranged to form each texture, as some textures have more than 1 patch.

(DooM 1 uses TEXTURE1 and 2, where TEXTURE1 is shareware textures and TEXTURE2 is commercial textures. DooM 2 uses TEXTURE1 only because there's only the commercial version)

PP_START, PP_END: All the patches are located between these lumps. SS_START/END are for sprites and FF_START/END are for flats.

To fix or verify that WAD:

A) Make sure that all the wall graphics (patches) are between P_START and P_END, and that they all appear listed in PNAMES. Also, you can check TEXTURE1 and see if each texture has the necessary patches assigned.

B) Check that all the flats (floor and ceiling graphics) are between FF_START and F_END (note the double F on the start marker.)

I don't think any other markers are needed. Resource editors like WinTex, DeepSea and XWE can all mess with these things well enough.

I tried to work on it on my own the other day but I don't have a good enough grasp of the graphics editor or the starts and ends themselves so I ended up having to delete it and reload from a backup cuz I did it wrong.

Good resource editors let you move lumps up and down in the WAD directory structure, letting you place them where required (the start or end of the list of whatever kind of resources they are for.) XWE does this, don't know about WinTex... I suppose DeepSea can, though. That's all you need to place them correctly. You can also create a new lump and name it as required. That's all you need for marker management.

PNAMES is just a list, and when you choose it in the editor you can change, add or delete patch names... all the patches in the WAD should be in the list.

TEXTURE1 is a bit more complex, showing each texture with its dimensions, and each patch that makes it up (appearing as numbers usually, I think, that depend on their location in the PNAMES list.) Each patch on the texture has coordinates that gauge how it appears on the texture, which can be edited.

myk said:

A) Make sure that all the wall graphics (patches) are between P_START and P_END,...

The patches do not have to be between these. IOW, these names are not required. The rest are as stated, although BOOM derivates can use FF_END only.

The easiest way to check out one's graphics is to use the DeePsea graphics checking tool after loading the PWAD: press F7- select TEXTUREx Name Edit, then click Verify Graphics and Verify Pnames. All errors pop out.