Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Down the Drain

MAP26: Everyone Loves the Beach. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 118/118 K, 0/0 S, 7/7 I. Completion time 9:16.

Another winner in a row! I wouldn't call Beach necessarily easy, but it is fun micro slaughter experience. At first I was a bit unsure about how I felt the archviles released when you grab the BSK, but dead bodies (I had killed everything before releasing the viles) proved a distraction for the skinny bastards, so it's all good. Even the necessary traversal thru hurting lava doesn't matter that much, because once again, Benjogami is very generous with ammo and megaspheres - so much so that it begs the question was the hurting floor really necessary, it's just a small tax to pay and it only sets a prerequisite you need to be able to withstand a little bit of damage for the rewards. If you're out of ammo with 4% health, and the viles are raising the dead, then that's it.

December Votes:

+++ Running Late 2, Overboard & Fractured Worlds

+++ Mapping at Warpspeed

+++ Number One Kill 1 and The next generation

Review catch up time!

Map 19 The Empty Box Abyss

DSDA-doom, pistol start, UV difficulty

There is a sea of nukage. There are boxes. Press use to lower boxes. Find all power ups. Good Luck!

Map has around 50 monsters on UV, but the monster composition is quite diverse: there is even a cyberdemon hiding on top the crates. Despite a few questionable design decisions, I quite enjoyed this level. It is laconic, focused and has a perfect runtime. Lifts, boxes, and poison sea is a simple concept, but it is quite memorable. IMHO, this level does not need @Benjogami's name to carry its weight. It could have been easily included in a different megaWAD - and it would become (in)famous as "that silly level with boxes".

Like map 15, this level hides both enemies and resources, and you never know, if you get a prize, or an additional trouble. Unlike map 15, however, The Empty Box Abyss has an open layout. And unlocking lots of monsters too early is not the end of the run - you can maneuver around the demons until you find necessary weapons.

I have only two minor complaints:

1) All 4 box towers look almost the same from the sea level. Makes the level confusing to navigate quickly.

2) Too many extremely tall lifts. Thus - lots of waiting for them to lower.

Both those things make it hard to time Rad Suits correctly.

Other than that , this map was a fun experience.

Map 20 The Top of the Bottom

This map has simplistic architecture, but a very unique setting - we find ourselves among some weird technological ruins rising from the abyss. Abstract level design used to its fullest artistic potential! I like it! The abstract approach to layout reminds me quite a bit of Doom 1 and Doom 2 IWAD levels. But the gameplay feels a bit more focused and refined, than it was is original Doom games. Thus, I heavy associate The Top of the Bottom with @DASI-I's Doom Zero megawad from 2019, which was focused on revisiting Doom 1 and 2.

As far as gameplay goes, Down the Drain map 20 has pretty diverse set of challenges. Obtaining weapons requires some thinking to do, because all powerful guns are guarded. This fact, together with many barons scattered around the place, seems to encourage infighting-focused approach. Setting up fights between barons, spiders, specters and hitscanners is fun! But don't forget to watch out for snipers...

Also notable is a very efficient use of pistol zombies. Usually, pistol zombies are almost harmless. But not on map 20 of Down the Drain! Those pistol critters can really mess you up inside the north-eastern tower! Do not underestimate them, and spare a rocket or two to preserve your hp.

The final cyberdemon is best used to clear the barons nearby. Open the blue door, and use the lift to lure the cyber onto the baron balcony. This is also a prefect place to shoot him from the former imp fortress nearby.

All in all, a really unusual, but very fun map. Midi choice is 12 out of 10, btw! That music track is very fitting for this strange, mysterious location.

Map 21 Niven’s Ravine

The final tower from the previous map has brought us into the Heck Dimension! Instead of dark chasm, the tower is now surrounded with red hellish rocks. And the cyberdemon from the previous map is once again here, but he is ready to teleport away upon first notice.

All in all, Niven’s Ravine plays like one of the easier levels from the final episode of Scythe 1. It is hellish, short, sometimes cruel, but pretty laid-back in overall difficulty. There are only 150 monsters in total. But, unusually for a shorter hell level, this map has a pretty grandiose setting. The action takes place inside a huge lava canyon. It is big enough to house 300 more opponents. Despite that, the map does not feel empty at all. The ledges around the hellish gorge house quite a number of snipers and ambushers, and the journey through the gorge is filled with danger. @Benjogami has a very deep understanding of monster placement. His set ups may be frustrating at times, however they almost never feel dull or uneventful.

Maps in the order of preference

Spoiler

Map 20   The Top of the Bottom

Map 14   The Perfect Human Cage.

Map 03   Private Island.

Map 21   Niven’s Ravine

Map 01   From: Unknown.

Map 31   Down the Drain.

Map 02   Someone's Castle.

Map 06   Baloney Town.

Map 19   The Empty Box Abyss

Map 11   Cache Raiders.

Map 32   ww1.wad.

Map 07   The Perfect Gerbil Cage.

Map 18   Slime Activation Facility.

Map 05   Rolling Down.

Map 04   Kick the Can.

Map 13   Vet and process.

Map 09   Forts and Alleys

Map 16   Vidhead.

Map 08   Deep Tech.

Map 12   Into the Tomb.

Map 15   Doors of Opportunities

Undecided so far

Map 17   Passive Social Test Lab (will try to evaluate tomorrow)

Maps I sincerely dislike (in order of preference too)

Map 10   Here n There, Now n Then

Edited by Azure_Horror : fixed some errors; edit 28_11_2022: friendship ended with solar struggle, fractured worlds is my old best friend

Level 26, "Everyone Loves the Beach"

Spoiler

There are some kinds of slaughter maps which I like, and some kinds which I don't.

In order to have fun, the main thing I need is space. I need to be able to maneuver around the enemies. If I can't do that, I'll just feel frustrated, and I won't have fun.

This level creates a soup of powerful enemies. There's nothing wrong with excesive amounts of monsters, but this soup contains some troublesome enemies:
- There are Archviles, against whom you need to take cover, but you can't maneuver easily into cover precisely because of the amount of monsters
- There are Pain Elementals, whom you are going to want to prioritize, because they are constantly building an HP wall out of lost souls (depending on sourceport). But you're not going to be able to aim for them, because all your projectiles and tracers will hit other monsters in the soup, but the Elementals fly, and as such can fire at you, even if you can't fire at them (again, depending on sourceport)
- There are Barons, who are the most similar to walls. Their attacks deal a lot of damage, but they can struggle to get their projectiles past the soup. These guys don't do as much against you as the other enemies, but killing each of them takes ages.

The following statement has to be taken with a grain of salt: I did not dislike the level.
The reason the grain of salt is needed, it's because I refused to play the level properly, and instead just degrelessed my wway through it.

It's short and inoffensive, but if I had actually tried it, I believe I would've probably found it very annoying.

I liked it, but only because I didn't play it properly. Because of that, the level gets an ok.

My ratings so far:

Spoiler

4,5/5 Stars (Levels I liked quite a bit):

Level 18, "Slime Activation Facility", Level 21, "Niven’s Ravine"

4/5 Stars (Levels I liked):

Level 1, "From Unknown", Level 2, "Someone's Castle", Level 3, "Private Island", Level 6, "Baloney Town", Level 9, "Forts and Alleys", 

Level 12, "Into the Tomb", Level 14, "The Perfect Human Cage", Level 31, "Down the Drain", Level 16, "Vidhead", Level 17, "Passive Social Test Lab",

Level 19, "The Empty Box Abyss", Level 20, "The Top of the Bottom", Level 22, "Pournelle’s Hole", Level 25, "The Three Buffets"

3/5 stars (Levels I found ok):

Level 7, "The Perfect Gerbil Cage", Level 8, "Deep Tech", Level 11, "Cache Raiders", Level 13, "Vet and Process", Level 32, "WW1.wad", 

2/5 stars (Levels I didn't like):

Level 4, "Kick the Can", Level 5, "Rolling Down", Level 10, "Here n There, Now n Then", Level 24, "Designyland"

1/5 stars (Levels I REALLY didn't like):

Level 15, "Doors of Opportunities", Level 23: "Valley of Mirth"

Review catch up time, part 2.

Map 22 Pournelle's Hole

I dislike this map. Don't know why exactly I feel this way, but I do feel this way.

Map has 3 sections

- two-part mostly berserk gauntlet

- bloodfall rocket fight, with unpleasant obstacles.

- Micro Slaughter BFG section right near the exit with timed cyberdemons.

Each subsection on its own felt okay. The cyberdemon subsection even felt rather pleasant! But when those section are considered together – I dislike the result and don't want to replay it. Maybe it is the burden of resource conversation between sections? I don't know.

Map 23 Valley of Mirth

First things first: the visuals and the music are a perfect match! This map is presented as fearsome challenge, worthy of a hero! Gameplay matches the first impression, but it has some flaws. The main flaw: the map has too many cyberdemons and pain elementals. Crowds of only one type would be fine. But taken together – they often create unpleasant clogs in the corridors. Pain elementals block fine footwork, and cyberdemons serve as both damage sinks and deadly hazards.

Related to the above: blue key SR-40 jump feels overly precise. It would not be a problem, if not for aforementioned cyber-and-pain salad. Invulnerabilty can mitigate the monster problem quite a lot, but grabbing the key to the invuln is a headache of its own.

Finally, disabling the archvile dispenser is too obscure. It is rather counter-intuitive that tagging the two bonus items will eventually clear all the hidden viles. Monster teleporters discourage experimenting with secrets while the dispenser is in operation, and on top of that the crusher is not an instant solution too. If not for a post by @Doomy__Doom, I would have never found that crusher.

Those flaws may be unpleasant, but on balance the map still felt pretty cool. Many troubling set ups, including the Vile dispenser, can be mitigated by not shooting until you have gathered all the necessary resourses. The concept of not firing a shot until you are really ready is a central feature of Valley of Mirth, and ties the map together.

Map 24 Designland

When it comes to Designland, I agree with Gen. Roasterock. This map is a haughty version of the Chasm. Less charm, more beef. More time wasted on traversal. Weapons are stashed further away than in original doom2 map 24. I cannot say, that this map was outright unpleasant to play, but I don't like it either. And I do like revisting Chasm from time to time!

Spoiler

Map 20   The Top of the Bottom

Map 03   Private Island.

Map 21   Niven’s Ravine

Map 31   Down the Drain.

Map 06   Baloney Town.

Map 19   The Empty Box Abyss

Map 11   Cache Raiders.

Map 32   ww1.wad.

Map 05   Rolling Down.

Map 04   Kick the Can.

Map 09   Forts and Alleys.

Map 16   Vidhead.

Map 23   Valley of Mirth.

Map 08   Deep Tech.

Map 12   Into the Tomb.

Map 15   Doors of Opportunities.

Map 24   Designland.

Undecided so far

Map 17   Passive Social Test Lab (will try to evaluate tomorrow)

Map 22   Pournelle's Hole

Map 10   Here n There, Now n Then

Edited by Azure_Horror

No voting from me. One part because I need a break from the DWMC, another part is that this month makes me feel that the daily DWMC pace isn't really my thing. For a megawad that I love and is designed with a clear megawad philosophy (as opposed to being a blunt-force compilation), I want to savor the feeling as long as possible. As a way to honor my commitment to my vote, though, expect a big-ish synthesis post when the month is over (that is not just the status update thing I posted :P). Glad to have played with everyone though, and for the mountain of writing produced, even if I disagree with much of the criticisms haha

P.S. As a final status update, 21 - 24 are awesome, especially 23 & 24. Benjo don't ever stopppppp

P.S.2 I'm considering in future DWMCs to vote, but write a mid-length to long post every once in a while. Maybe consider that bullet point notes style @rehelekretep or GoS use for my impulse posts

+++32in24-14

+++H2H-Xmas

+++Overboard, Running Late 2, Fractured Worlds

Edited by Paf

MAP25: The Three Buffets

Good move to put a short and punchy map after the long journey that was MAP24. Here Doomguy swims in ammo from the start on and you get SSG and RL early, but a certain switch will end many blind runs (including my first attempt). Many imps are in the starting area; it could be so pleasant to kill them if these wall-doors wouldn't close all the time and if their activation didn't require a run to the SSG area again and again ... Later midtiers join the party, and you get the pleasant chance to rocket a group of caged viles without risk. Eventually barons will appear, depending when you activate "that" switch. A funny section requires a straferun to a switch on damaging floors, with several soulspheres to counter the damage, and will release cacodemons.

Two areas stand out combat-wise: one is the library near the not-so-secret megaaarmor with a vile duo and chaingunners, although I found a cheesing mechanic (don't fall in the megaarmor liquid too early ...). The other one is the baron trap near the start, which is probably only beatable with the plasma rifle in hand; perhaps with 200/200 and luck it can be done with rockets or even punching but the SSG is too slow.

A lot of mindless fun to be had in this map, and it's probably meant as a breather before the last stretch. It has the character of a joke map parodizing shovelware, I think, very much like MAP14.

Rating: 8/10
Difficulty: 5/10

MAP26: Everyone Loves the Beach

Another short map, again quite punchy. Above 100 monsters are stuffed in a single, relatively small rocky arena at a hellish lava beach. So this until now is definitely the map which reminds most of Benjogami's oeuvre in the slaughtermap genre. The concept is quite simple: Health and ammo are plentiful and the BFG is accessible once you reach the shore, but getting these goodies is not free: they're located on barriers and islands in the damaging lava ocean, and also (if I understood the mechanism right) everytime you cross to the islands some viles are released. The viles are the main foes you'll have to concentrate on, so try to kill at least a couple of them with each loop to the megasphere/cell islands. And more of them will complicate things when you take the blue key.

Once I understood the concept I found the map to be much easier than it seems initially due to the abundance of goodies, i.e. not harder than the previous ones. The cyberdemon is clearly your ally and will probably die eventually, and the other monsters are varied enough to produce a lot of infighting, although barons can enclose you if you get asleep somewhere camping. I liked it, although it's one of the more conventional offerings of the set. It's very much a spiritual brother of MAP32 (and of course, of other ammo/health-cache-themed maps from Nirvana on).

Rating: 8/10
Difficulty: 5/10

Map26:
Ah, now this is a pleasant surprise: a breather map. Basically no work went into routing it, at least before I started attempts: my first time beating it was saveless because I just didn't feel like saving, and I immediately started recording afterward. It still took more attempts than most of the previous maps, but didn't feel like a big deal. The damaging floor serves a valuable purpose, as it discourages you from just standing at a safe distance from the action while spamming BFG or waiting for enemies to infight or something, and you need to watch your health before venturing out for the next megasphere (there are even medikits you can use if you're otherwise too low to survive the journey). Archviles are the main source of challenge here, and it's fortunate there are so many, or half the run would just be cleanup. Very fun map.

Demo:

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=209605

Map 25: The Three Buffets

By the incomprehensible standard set by the WAD, The Three Buffets feels uninspired, set apart by its oblong megastructure visible from the start, and race to the switch in the chasm of blood. The rest of the map is draped in red, and darkened to dullness. Attempting to look back in an editor was a trip. I have no idea why the majority of the sectors in The Three Buffets are even tagged, they don’t do anything aside from the now standard random lifts. I was able to push through the Megaarmor fight just fine, but that’s the only point of real difficulty that’s memorable. 

Map 26: Everyone Loves the Beach

You did it, you hit the homerun. Everyone Loves the Beach is fantastic. The cycle of rushing out into the surf, grabbing ammo for the BFG and an insurance Megasphere, then swimming back to shore to scrape away as many demons as you can into the tide is brilliant, and it never gets boring. I have no clue what triggers the Arch-Viles to continuously replenish, something to do with getting more supplies, but that constant back and forth of thinking you’re done, only for another wave to flood onto the ashy beach is enough to put my adrenaline in a position that a lot of the combat hasn’t achieved as of yet. It’s such a simple idea, and the map doesn’t go any further than the one fight, but it is stellar in its presentation, and begs for replay. Everyone Loves the Beach is a true statement.

Power Rankings

Spoiler
  1. Everyone Loves the Beach
  2. Into the Tomb
  3. Vet and Process
  4. Niven Ravine
  5. The Empty Box Abyss
  6. Baloney Town
  7. Private Island
  8. The Perfect Gerbil Cage
  9. The Top of the Bottom
  10. Passive Social Test Lab
  11. Slime Activation Facility
  12. Rolling Down
  13. Pournelle's Hole
  14. The Perfect Human Cage
  15. Forts and Alleys
  16. Cache Raiders
  17. Someone's Castle
  18. Valley of Mirth
  19. Here n There, Now n Then
  20. The Three Buffets
  21. Kick the Can
  22. WW1.wad
  23. From: Unknown
  24. Deep Tech
  25. Doors of Opportunities
  26. Vidhead
  27. Designyland
  28. Down the Drain

I must admit, I was struggling to write about Down the Drain this month and after falling so far behind, I realised I wasn't particularly enjoying it so I quietly bowed out. It's a cool wad in it's concept and I do think the combat is pretty solid when it's not trying to be annoying on purpose, but it's just not for me. Sorry Benjogami! I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on both the maps I did get to, and the ones I never saw!

Anyway, since I would like to take part in next month, here's my votes:

+++ Solar Struggle

+++ Running Late 2, Overboard & Fractured Worlds

+++ Doom 2 in Spain Only

I'll see you guys next month - probably, I'm not sure if I want to force myself through H2H-Xmas again :P

MAP 27 – Lakeside Rentals

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Continuous, blind run w/saves

As unconventional as only Down the Drain could be, Lakeside Rentals proposed a guided tour of an underground lava lake surrounded by luxury estates, ideal for a well-deserved R&R after a week of intense infernal routine. Doomguy must not relax though, as every step forward around the lake sprang traps of increasing viciousness, that could be countered only if the abundant resources were instantly put to good use.

Spoiler

454693122_DowntheDrainMAP27_01.jpg.bb351f5835b9fed847e37bee5d6c4a93.jpg

Visually the map followed the expected patterns and detailing seen in a standard vanilla mapset, but Benjogami’s set piece design was effective and entertaining as in the best maps of the first episode. The first skirmishes to get some extra ammo and the SSG were dynamic enough, and the pressure of a distant Arachnotron cannot be ignored. The first highlight was the BFG pickup, greeted by a herd of Hell Nobles, Mancubi, and a mob of 8 Arch-Viles on the islet at the centre of the lake. I did not even see them appear as I was busy with the large group closing on me, but I inadvertently stayed away from the window so they could not see me at all. There were enough rockets to dispatch them easily.

Spoiler

471833973_DowntheDrainMAP27_02.jpg.8561d5b3605c6bf049a06a0d19b19b8a.jpg

The good action continued on the southern side of the lake, where Imps and Barons walked towards me to meet their fate, but there were more Arch-Viles lurking behind the corners. The first one took me completely by surprise. The last section hosted many exciting ambushes, taking advantage of an elaborate layout that used crushers, monster closets, windows and corridors in refreshing ways. Good cell availability made sure that BFG could be used regularly, thus reducing the perception of artificial difficulty. I still died once in the crusher room, as I did not time my reactions appropriately and ended up in front of a Chaingunner with the BFG not firing. The final deployment of Arch-Viles was exceptional, including the wooden screen that lowered to close a vantage shooting point for the player. They were fully capable of resurrecting fallen creatures and keeping track of line of sight was not trivial next to the wooden door. In my opinion, the gameplay of Lakeside Rentals was the smoothest in a very long streak of maps, making it one of the most enjoyable entries of the megaWAD.

Oof, I've fallen quite a bit behind due to my sleep schedule being a bit wonky lately. Only have time to catch one up for now, but will try to do a few soon.

MAP22: Pournelle's Hole

UV, pistol start, saves

100% kills, 1/3 secrets

True to the name, you'll find yourself venturing deep into the earth on this one. The start has you among some outdoor bookshelves before plunging into the hellish depths below through cracked rock, marble, blood, and eventually the pits of lava. The midi is a Primus track that I haven't actually heard before. But it's nice and funky.

Definitely one of the most difficult maps so far, at least to me. The beginning serves up some Tyson gameplay, always a big weak point of mine, but it's pretty fun as far as Tyson goes. If you're lucky, you can get the baron stuck by triggering the marble lift in front of the fake wall after he wakes up. Usually doesn't work, but sometimes it does. Makes him a bit awkward to punch but very easy to avoid damage from. The hardest part is by far the rocket launcher fight, I gave it quite a few tries and couldn't get it so I used a save. I think I found out the trick to it though, because once I applied a strategy of starting with some rockets, circle-strafing and using the SSG after a little bit, and then switching back to rockets when everything was safely herded up in the middle, I got past it first try. So maybe saveless isn't out of reach for me. The last fight isn't so bad, you might be out of ammo from the previous fight but just get the cybies infighting until you can reach the BFG, and then use it to finish the cyberdemons off once they've killed everything else.

Tricky little map, but fun.

MAP26 - “Everyone Loves the Beach”
The opening view is a good representation of my worst beach nightmare, getting there and seeing it swarming with tourists. Well, I guess finding that the sea has turned into lava is also not fun. My first impression after dying was was that this is insanely difficult for HNTR, but it's actually not, with a bit of foresight. The 3 islands have a BFG, tons of cells, and 7 megaspheres. The real danger is from the arachnotrons and the revenants, once they're gone clearing out the rest (while hiding from the cyberdemon rockets) is very manageable. The archviles unleashed by getting the BSK must die ASAP but I managed to pull it off before they resurrected too many enemies. I liked this one, it's always satisfying to get slaughtered on a first try, reload, and figure out a strategy. It's a whole other beast on UV though with a LOT more archviles that teleport in at intervals and probably wreck all the progress you've made - I'm sticking to easy difficulty, thank you.

MAP27 - “Lakeside Rentals”
I'm not sure the real estate is worth much, considering the lake is lava and the neighbours are decidedly unfriendly. The map is quite small but packed with action, you really just go around it killing everything and raise the bridge to the centre island and the exit. There are a few nasty surprises on the way though, such as picking up the BFG and having to deal with a dozen archviles off on the island while a horde of nobles advances on you.The blue armor ambush later on was quite hectic too. I cursed when I saw yet more archviles appear after raising the bridge, as they quickly spread out and start reviving old foes. It's a short, punchy and enjoyable map.

Map 27 "Lakeside Rentals"

Spoiler

06i3Ezb.png

For strange reasons, this level reminds me of Limbo from Ultimate Doom whereas there is no damaging bloor nor an irritating gimmick with teleporters. Maybe it's because of the fact that you explore separated building in a cavern and the level is placed at the end of the megawad.

By the way, you'll meet several little armies of arch-viles. They got hired by Benjogami and they're looking for you. You're not supposed to be alive after so many tortuous experiments ! I had quite a lot of fun blasting them with my rocket launcher from afar , and with my big fucking gun near the end. Benjogami is pretty lenient with cells if you don't waste them on small foes and if you're actively looking for the few secrets hidden in this map.

Besides that, I don't have a lot to say about this map. I like the dramatic music and the traditional gameplay doesn't frustrate me. I'm not disappointed to play this map after a winning combination of excellent maps but I suppose that one will not stay very long in my memory.

Grade : B

Map27:
Another one that's generally easy to do casually, and not so easy when going fast. I wish there was some way to just charge the island of archviles with the BFG, but that gets you toasted in this map. Still, I'm glad to see another map where tactical BFG shots can often remove troublesome viles.

Demo:

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=209621

Map 25 The three buffets

For once, Benjogami's wacky shenanigans include a huge supply of powerful ammo. Rockets are effectively unlimited, and cells for plasma rifle are also in good supply.

Red brick walls are the main gimmick of the map. Those walls lower based on player movement and also double as lifts. Not only does it look funny, but it also creates an unusual environment for rocket combat.

The Buffets in the map name may refer either to the three secrets (supercharge, megaarmor, megasphere), or to the three switches, which trigger enemy waves and also unlock the exit. Either way, the name is a cute littlr detail. The key switches can be flipped in any order, which allows for a lot of freedom in choosing routes. The enemy roster is far from harmless, but Doomguy gets more than enough resources to beat the hellspawn.

All in all, a nice map. Wacky and a bit over the top, but very manageable and a pure joy to clear. Perfect break after the large series of more demanding levels.

Map 26 Everyone Loves the Beach

Here are some good news and some bad news.

Good news: Doomguy is going to a seaside holiday!

Bad news: the holiday location befits both Ray Mohawk 2 and Overboard WADs!

This map is a densely packed minislaughter. The beach is filled with all kinds of demons, but fear not: the lava sea near the beach has a lot megaspheres, a huge supply of 100-cell packs and the helpful BFG.

On the densely packed beach main threat comes from the archviles. They undo all your hard work, they hide behind beefy monsters, and their attack can reach you through the crowd. Once you clear enough monsters to move around realtively unobstructed, sniping archviles with BFG becomes your main priority.

Archviles appear after two types of events:

1) Grabbing the blue key unlocks rooms with 8 archviles.

2) Every time you go offshore for cells or megaspheres, a few archviles teleport onto the beach.

Luckily, triggering event 1) will crush all the Viles that not yet appeared due to event 2). But either way, there will be a lot of Viles. And they will be doing vile things! One of my runs reached 172% kills...

I had a lot of fun with this map. I am a big fun of 2021 Ray Mohawk 2, and Everyone Loves the Beach reminded me a lot of that WAD. Main difference – Ray 2 has an absolutely devastating de-hacked arsenal, while Everyone Loves the Beach employs standard Doom 2 weapons to create a similar degree of mayhem. I tip my hat off to Benjogami for creating such an experience!

Map 27 Lakeside Rentals

The name of the map looks like a nod to Doom2 map 27 Monster Condo, while also continuing the resort theme of Everyone Loves the Beach. Once again, it is easy to imagine this map as a Ray Mohawk 2 level: strong weapons, powerful monster crowds, two archvile armies, and lots of additional viles spread among minor fights.

Gameplay-wise, two moments spring to my mind: the BFG brawl against huge hell noble wave and the final wave of archviles, that tries to flood the map right before the exit. Both fights manage to walk a fine line between extreme and suprisingly mangeable. Final Archvile wave from Passive Social Test Lab (map 17) was much more terrifying!

Lakeside Rentals does a very good job of continuing the themes of Everyone Loves the Beach. And while I personally prefer map 26, map 27 was also very enjoyable.

Spoiler

Map 20   The Top of the Bottom.

Map 26   Everyone Loves the Beach.

Map 03   Private Island.

Map 21   Niven’s Ravine

Map 31   Down the Drain.

Map 25   The Three Buffets

Map 06   Baloney Town.

Map 19   The Empty Box Abyss.

Map 11   Cache Raiders.

Map 32   ww1.wad.

Map 27   Lakeside Rentals.

Map 05   Rolling Down.

Map 04   Kick the Can.

Map 16   Vidhead.

Map 23   Valley of Mirth.

Map 08   Deep Tech.

Map 12   Into the Tomb.

Map 24   Designland.

Undecided so far

Map 17   Passive Social Test Lab. (will try to evaluate today)

Map 22   Pournelle's Hole.

Map 10   Here n There, Now n Then.

Edited by Azure_Horror

Level 27, "Lakeside Rentals"

Spoiler

This was a pretty good level.

Not too short, but short enough. Very concise.

Considerably easier than the two previous levels, which I find interesting. The Archviles only appear in manageable locations, and you always have sufficient firepower, ammo, and cover to deal with them.

I see the mapper followed the advice I gave while reviewing level 24, and added the barons inbetween other, weaker enemies, to make the barons stand out.

I don't see absolutely anything wrong with this level. I cannot in good faith give it a score any lower than 5/5. I might drop it to 4,5 if something else considerably better appears.

But for the time being, I'm confident in calling this a perfect level!

My ratings so far:

Spoiler

5/5 Stars (Levels I REALLY liked):

Level 27, "Lakeside Rentals"

4,5/5 Stars (Levels I liked quite a bit):

Level 18, "Slime Activation Facility", Level 21, "Niven’s Ravine"

4/5 Stars (Levels I liked):

Level 1, "From Unknown", Level 2, "Someone's Castle", Level 3, "Private Island", Level 6, "Baloney Town", Level 9, "Forts and Alleys", 

Level 12, "Into the Tomb", Level 14, "The Perfect Human Cage", Level 31, "Down the Drain", Level 16, "Vidhead", Level 17, "Passive Social Test Lab",

Level 19, "The Empty Box Abyss", Level 20, "The Top of the Bottom", Level 22, "Pournelle’s Hole", Level 25, "The Three Buffets"

3/5 stars (Levels I found ok):

Level 7, "The Perfect Gerbil Cage", Level 8, "Deep Tech", Level 11, "Cache Raiders", Level 13, "Vet and Process", Level 32, "WW1.wad", 

2/5 stars (Levels I didn't like):

Level 4, "Kick the Can", Level 5, "Rolling Down", Level 10, "Here n There, Now n Then", Level 24, "Designyland"

1/5 stars (Levels I REALLY didn't like):

Level 15, "Doors of Opportunities", Level 23: "Valley of Mirth"

MAP27: Lakeside Rentals. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 152/152 K, 2/2 S, 8/10 I. Completion time 12:54.

We seem to have been getting levels much more to my liking recently; Lakeside Rentals is yet another solid level I quite enjoyed playing. Not too long, not too easy. Although when I say not easy here, I mean that I should have taken care of at least some of the archviles guarding the exit switch. They were there almost the whole time, ripe for emptying my rockets on them, but I figured I need to save my ammo, there's so many of them that there's got to be some clever way of disposing of them.

And then they were unleashed to general public, which is where I started having hard time. A backpack would have helped here immensely, because the time spent on fetching the (secret) cell charges is time wasted on letting the flame boys revive all sorts of bastards that'll take some precious ammo to dispose of.

MAP21: Niven's Ravine

Kills: 73%

Items: 57%

Secrets: 0%

Time: 2:49

Niven's Ravine is an... interesting start to E3 of Down The Drain. Similar to something like MAP12, it's a shorter map that feels like it's trying to move things along and give a few hints of the story. There's not really a whole lot of interesting gameplay moments here outside of a bastard Cyberdemon right at the end, so I guess I'll say if you're observant, this is where Down The Drain's 90's chicanery starts to tear at the seems. There's two explicit moments here, mainly the suspiciously good looking little cove before the huge grey Mancubus pillars, and also the wooden hut at the end looks weirdly competent. Spoiler alert, this is gonna continue through E3. I actually like Niven's Ravine for this, it's got a strong "beginning of the end" vibe and even if it doesn't have the strongest combat, again like MAP12 it's a cool story type map.

Grade: B+

Difficulty: C-

MAP22: Pournelle's Hole

Kills: 98%

Items: 87%

Time: 5:56

Pournelle's Hole is a pretty cool trip into inferno that starts small and ends big. Some of the best combat up to this point resides in this map actually. After fighting through a few small rooms, playing Punch-Out with fodder and scarce higher tier enemies with an SSG on the side will eventually lead to a pretty vast room, the hole in question I presume. I like the first fight here even if it's a pretty simple rocket face-off, but I think the star is what comes next. The lowering Revenants, Cyberdemons and light Arch-Vile backup is quite simply, fun to deal with. I don't have a lot to say here, it's just a fun, well-rounded and well paced map.

Grade: A-

Difficulty: C+

MAP23: Valley Of Mirth

Kills: 66%

Items: 83%

Time: 5:54

A delightfully devilish remix of Doom's E3M2 (At least in the layout), Valley Of Mirth is another map with what I consider surprisingly good combat. Benjogami continues to be a menace with Arch-Viles, the two at the start can be a pain to deal with and also the infinitely resurrecting turrets later on are no help either. (I don't even know how you turn them off.) This is a map I love to brew chaos in, the more energetic the map is the better imo. I do somewhat wish the BFG was a little earlier than virtually right at the end, but I appreciate it being here either way. The Cyberdemons also stand out to me in this map, they're simultaneously pretty scary and easy to make infight, it's a cool balance. Once again I don't have a boat load of stuff to say here, it's just fun. 

Grade: A

Difficulty: B+

map 9: 100% everything, 1 death

After three challenging maps, something I managed to beat.  The one death came from getting myself oriented and kind of giving up on survival.  Start is handled by infight baiting and an early berserk.  Once I had scrounged up enough ammo to take out the first archvile, progression was straightforward.  The out of the way rocket launcher turns out very useful for safe passage throughout the map's ambushes.

I did fall for the spectre pit trap at the end and exited with less health than I would like.  Bleh.

map 10: 99% kills, 2/4 secrets, 3 deaths

Start is ripe for infight baiting to thin out the starting crowd.  This lets me save berserk for when I need the health boost.  That pack of perched revenants makes its presence known early on.  One death came from hitting a promising looking switch.  It was schmuck bait though and brought several revenants down to ground level.  Maybe I could have berserk punched the three of them had I focused (not flush with ammo or weapons at the time), but the attempt was going badly so I didn't really care to bother.

Progression feels a bit Enigmatic when I found a wall to lower that I thought was a secret but was actually required.  But I guess it's not really a fair comparison since other than that wall and a switch that lowers more than one platform, it isn't that obtuse to get around.  I nearly died to the sneaky Pain Elementals, barely lived through, then the HellKnights around the corner finished me off.  It went much better on the next attempt, prepared for the ambush.

Main infight moments are the start area and the group on the other side of the hidden wall where a window allows for provoking the mixed group at very little risk.  Pretty much everything else I do fight directly and when I found the rocket launcher, lobbing rockets at that pack of perched revenants was particularly satisfying.  Missing one monster when I crossed the exit line.

MAP 28 – Closing Crush

It took 29 maps of unconventional visuals and experimental debauchery for Benjogami to deliver Closing Crush, a map that I thoroughly enjoyed. The first seconds into it were undoubtedly harsh, because of the layout full of tripwires that dumped more and more monsters in an already crowded space. Most weapons could be obtained in the first area, but the corresponding ammo was stashed in specific places, not exactly where you would expect to find it. Health was extremely sparse on UV, so even on continuous I was down at 36% for a while.

Spoiler

2040254934_DowntheDrainMAP28_01.jpg.f800ea7443689cdb86d6f5f959268287.jpg

Once it was clear that I could not hang around with impunity, I proceeded carefully and tackled the various groups one at a time. Foreknowledge helped a lot, as typical of Down the Drain, but after getting a grip on the hexagonal Revenant closets and the nearby cavern with rockets, hosting a Pinky &Arachnotron teleport, I gained confidence and comfortably conquered the rest of the level. The onslaught of Barons from the ledge with the exit was impressive, as they easily reached many other parts of the level. Their Hell Knight colleagues filled the western tunnels, where I found a cavern with a Megasphere and a stock of rockets that was partially consumed to kill the 5 lurking Arch-Viles. The main objective was the platform with the Cyberdemon, holding a switch that unlocked the exit. Pressing it and get quickly to the exit could be a good challenge for speedrunners, who must dodge a considerable number of enemies.

Spoiler

2106954240_DowntheDrainMAP28_02.jpg.bc9ba51304b8a46aaa7ed6a7568f8b3a.jpg

There was only one “real” secret: the Radiation Suit in the small, enclosed yard to the east. The Arch-Vile ambush was more than I expected for that measly loot, whose function was to reach an equally useless Invulnerability. Most of these goodies might be crucial in a pistol start and they could speed up or simplify the hardest parts of Closing Crush. I think it was an exciting map, offering the wildest action in the megaWAD paired with a constantly changing layout. Nevertheless, it was easier to read than previous entries and killing all those Hell Nobles was quite an endeavour. In my opinion, this was the best map of the set from the gameplay standpoint, and Nirvana’s Stay Away was the perfect soundtrack for this action-packed chapter of Down the Drain.

+++Overboard, Running Late 2, Fractured Worlds

+++Doom 2 in Spain Only

Map 28 : Closing Crush

Spoiler

JyEI3H2.png

Closing Crush is a kind of festive playground with a wacky rock music which supports the action. This map is very fun when you know how to release the monsters because it quickly turns into a massive infight scenario. Indeed, there are too much hell knights for instance to kill them as they come, so Benjami drew an open layout in order to let you run and trigger as much traps as possible without having to eliminate a single enemy.

I don't have a lot to say about this map but it was a small concentrated of amusement.

Grade : A-

MAP28: Closing Crush. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 183/183 K, 3/3 S, 4/4 I. Completion time 20:52.

We're still on a great map streak here, although there were times during Closing Crush when I was on the verge of not having fun, when the hordes seemed a bit overwhelming, and I could do nothing than savescum and hope for the best, and that the archviles at large weren't reviving too many corpses. Or that time when I noticed I had spent several minutes running around the foremost arena, making revenant, imps and hell nobles infight each other, because I had a hunch ammo would be on a premium here.

Still, in the end, Closing Crush weighs in on the fun and great side, I get much satisfaction on tricking enemies to infight. I suppose repeated playthrough would fare much better, knowing a bit about the level as stated by other clubbers already.

Map28:
I didn't like this one at first when going in unprepared, not sure why. But when I knew how everything worked, it was pretty fun to max. Ideally, the cyberdemon is lowered early and infights with everything while you get other things done. I actually have no idea what the switch at 3:01 does.

Spoiler

Demos:

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=209820

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=210061

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

+++ H2H-Xmas

I hope not. But I am prepared even for this turn of events!

Also: I reconsidered Solar Struggle, and changed the vote for Overboard and Co.

Map 28 Closing Crush

For the past 27+2 levels @Benjogami was breaking a lot of established mapping convetions. So many in fact, that breaking conventions became an establishing mapping convention in itself. And such nonsense just cannot stand! Closing Crush is here to adress that!

By the standards of Doom mapping, Closing Crush is a pretty normal map. I can easily imagine it being a part of Scythe 1, Doom Zero, Plutonia 2 or Speed of Doom (Placement in the WAD would vary, of course. A pretty easy level by Speed of Doom standards would be a middle of the road map in Plutonia 2 or a penultimate challenge in Doom Zero).

But! By the standards of Down the Drain mapset, Closing Crush is a DEFIANTLY conventional map. No notable sharp corners, fluid challenging combat, classical hellish visuals, pretty normal ambushes, one cyberdemon and one BFG to rule them all. Of course, the archviles are pretty hardcore in this map, but this is slot 28! Archvile groups are to be expected at this stage.

And the gameplay of Closing Crush is very delightful. The map has both wide open and relatively cramped battlefields, and uses almost any demon imaginable to a great effect. On top of that, the map is very interconnected, leading to very fluid gameplay. To me, Closing Crush feels like an improved reinvention of Anger (map 23) from Scythe. Lots of action, and lots of movement, but also a more interesting layout, and a lot more connectivity between different monser waves and different areas of the map.

This is one of my favorite levels from Down the Drain!

Spoiler

Map 20   The Top of the Bottom.

Map 28   Closing Crush

Map 26   Everyone Loves the Beach.

Map 03   Private Island.

Map 21   Niven’s Ravine

Map 23   Valley of Mirth (Replayed map 23, and changed my mind about it)

Map 31   Down the Drain.

Map 25   The Three Buffets

Map 06   Baloney Town.

Map 19   The Empty Box Abyss.

Map 17   Passive Social Test Lab. (will write my final conclusion tomorrow)

Map 11   Cache Raiders.

Map 32   ww1.wad.

Map 27   Lakeside Rentals.

Map 05   Rolling Down.

Map 04   Kick the Can.

Map 16   Vidhead.

Map 08   Deep Tech.

Map 12   Into the Tomb.

Map 24   Designland.

Map 22   Pournelle's Hole.

Map 10   Here n There, Now n Then.

Edited by Azure_Horror

MAP 29 – Choke

The last proper level of Down the Drain proposed another unique gameplay concept that looked intriguing on paper, and sadly was much less satisfying to put into practice. Choke started in the middle of a silent valley with ASHWALL2 cliffs, a SP_HOT1 castle to the west, and a marble castle to the east. The red keep was stuffed to the brim with Hell Knights, and the green one with Revenants. An early SSG supply was available as well as 4 Megaspheres on the side of each castle’s moat; pistol starters could not fight with the provided resources, so there was no choice but instigating hatred between the two factions.

Spoiler

202704645_DowntheDrainMAP29_01.jpg.cfe2e8f803b7b02f786fc2cf6fd023ef.jpg

241135684_DowntheDrainMAP29_02.jpg.8799002ecdfed5200daf49a769e6037a.jpg

The castle doors could be opened only by the player, allowing to control the release of enemies on the battlefield. Once alerted, many creatures climbed on the respective castle walls and started shooting from there; the absence of safe spots forced me to be constantly on the move, dodging roaming monsters while they took care of themselves, and unleashing more when appropriate. The moats were obviously inescapable, and a train of homing rockets could always deal a killing blow, so it was quite a tense exercise taking way too much time. If I knew of the Invulnerability secret, I could have assaulted one of the keeps early on, securing a rocket launcher and a BFG, and possibly luring the Cyberdemon out of the central building to speed up things. Quite the opposite, I waited until the garrisons were more than halved before stirring up the Cyberdemons, and I uncovered the power-up just before leaving. Choke could improve on a second play with additional awareness, but I am not enough fond of mandatory infighting scenarios to give it another try.