Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 49: Foursite

Welcome again to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes all, regardless of how experienced or skilled you consider yourself to be. As long as you enjoy playing Doom, come on in, the water's fine!

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Foursite, a Boom-compatible map from Ben "@Bauul" Mansell, released in 2016. This was one of the first maps released by a mapper that has since become well-known in the community. Despite this being an early map, Foursite is large, taking place in a sprawling corrupted base, with action throughout a number of areas ranging from techbase to Hellish.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 9 or Boom(strict).

The mapset starts at Map 01. Survival is finishing the map. There is no secret map.

Download Foursite.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @Asbadagba (Runner-up: @LadyMistDragon)

HMP: @xX_Lol6_Xx (Runner-up: @head_cannon)

HNTR: @Andromeda (Runner-up: Pegleg)

Spoiler
  • Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file foursite.wad -complevel 9 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEfoursite>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file foursite.wad  +compatmode 6 -skill <x> +map map01 -record <IEfoursite>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEfoursite> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived, your time
  • If you didn't survive, the number of kills upon death
  • Time of death
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. If you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

1. Survival
  2. Total time for survival
  3. Kill count upon survival
  4. Kill count upon death
  5. Total time upon death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach and Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 43 (May): Ezekiel (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 44 (Jun.): Elegy (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP:  SCF  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 45 (Jul.): Respawned: Back from Hell (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 46 (Aug.): Viscous Realms (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 47 (Sept.): PhobosDeimos Anomaly (Winners -- UV: Luleta   HMP:  Zhaojue  HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 48 (Oct.): Eternally Yours (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP:  head_cannon  HNTR: Andromeda)
Edited by Pegleg : Added monthly winners and runners up.

UV

Cat 2-ish

306/930 kills

Dead at 27:05

DWIE_22-11_Foursite_SCF.zip

Spoiler

Would've been category 1, except I quit my first run during the platforming section after falling too many times. Not that I got much foreknowledge from that since everything before it is just grinding through low tier enemies.

This map really drags, considering I played for almost 30 minutes and only just got the SSG. And after experiencing that lost soul room I have no desire to try again.

a lone marine was sent to the foursite facility...
and after 1:07:29 he met his death!

he was ultra-violent.

he took 920 out of the 930 demons with him.
video log recovered for further study:
ironeagle_2022nov_asbadagba.zip

(category 1 btw, oops)

Edited by Asbadagba

Well this was an unexpected surprise to wake up to!

This was the first map I ever made, after I had rediscovered Doom following a ~15 year gap.  I hadn't really rejoined the community at this point, or played any custom wads, so this map is mostly inspired by my nostalgia for the IWADs.  As such, it's a lot of low-level shotgunning, Doom.wad style corridors, somewhat odd design choices and a few technical newbie mistakes.

Looking back on it, it's interesting how some concepts still feel creative to me even after catching up with the community's output over the last 15 years (e.g. the last fight), but also just how unpolished some basic aspects of progression are (e.g. huge difficulty swings, or for example there's an absolute over-abundance of green armor but basically no blue armor at all).  

I see it now more of a curiosity than anything else, and I hope people are able to find it interesting from that perspective (a "2016 map made as if it was 2001"), even if the actual gameplay experience can be a bit sluggish at times.

It's also worth mentioning the readme says it's Limit-Removing, but the OP is correct: Boom is the correct complevel to play it on.  There were a few vanilla mechanics I wasn't aware of when developing it (Lost Soul limits, crushers, and one zero-tagged lift) that somewhat impact the map when played in true limit-removing complevel.  Complevel 9 fixes the vast majority, so it's best to use that.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Well this was an unexpected surprise to wake up to!

I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised. I thought Foursite was enjoyable, and I hope you take the opportunity to join the festivities this month and submit a run.

There is no prohibition against authors participating. And there is no rule that if authors participated, they would have to play on UV; so you could choose your difficulty.

Hey there, dropping my entry for this month :>

Spoiler

Had to take a break cuz mama told me to go take a shower :<, IDK how much it actually took me, but yeah, definitely expect a pause around the 49 minute mark.

HMP, cat. 2, died around the 56:27 minutes mark, recorded in Woof v.10.4.0 -complevel 9.

Zip: IEFoursite.zip

Also, some spoilers regarding my death:

Spoiler

Fuck those mancubi, that's the only spot of the whole map I really can't stand, should have used the plasma gun or bfg now that I think about it. The rest of the map, oofff, good stuff

Cat 1

UV

Recorded with dsda-doom 0.24.3

ToD: cca. 26ish minutes in

You know. The fucking lift.

Fuck that lift.

Edit: was too upset with how the map killed me to even write something nice about the wad.

Having the reputation for a lengthy gestation time of 300ish hours over the course of 12 years surely may have resulted in something grandiose and worth playing, right? Well..

I do like this from a "pretty cool first map, dude" kind of perspective. Clearly a lot of love and effort put into this, with plenty of references to the wads and maps in particular that directly inspired it, even though they are very much on the nose. However, a lot of the set pieces bring the map to a goddamn crawl. Even in only playing this for 20 minutes and dying in the 2nd of the four "maps", this suffers heavily from "I wanna be the next Deus Vult", down to the fucking music choice. Well, DV hands you the proper ordnance in the first few minutes. 2 boxes of rockets that I never had the opportunity to even use, on the other hand..?

TitoFoursite.rar

Edited by UncleTito

Category: 01

Skill: UV

Kills: 610?/930

Time of Death: 52:53

You know, I sort of wish I played on HMP instead, because I'd have seen a little bit more of the map, but my opinion's probably closer to Uncle Tito's. Needless to say, I'll only play this one again if I need extra Doom brownie points for some reason

lmd_foursite.zip

On 11/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, UncleTito said:

this suffers heavily from "I wanna be the next Deus Vult", down to the fucking music choice.

Fair enough criticism of the map! Although I will point out that I hadn't played, or even heard of, Deus Vult when I made this. In fact I hadn't played any custom wads. 

Probably should have done though, then it would have perhaps turned out a bit more even!

IEfoursite_HMP_hc.zip

Category: 1

Difficulty: HMP

Dead with 198 kills.

Spoiler

I didn’t anticipate how long the second zone’s giant elevator setpiece would go on for, and used up most of the bullet pickups methodically clearing away the early waves of Lost Souls. The double Pain-Elemental round left me completely swamped.

Cool techbase. The part where you shut down power to the first zone while dodging projectiles from the exposed reactors (like the final approach to Mother Brain in Metroid) was particularly neat. I’ll definitely be coming back with saves to see what the rest of the adventure’s like.

A thank you to everyone who came out and challenged themselves against Foursite. We'll be back in December for another challenge (perhaps it will be familiar to some), and I hope to see everyone back. Bring some friends with you, too.

Without further ado, here are the standings for this month's IronEagle.

UV

1. Asbadagba (99% kills)
  2. LadyMistDragon (67% kills)
  3. UncleTito (34% kills)
  4. Suitepee (33% kills)
  5. Maribo (33% kills)
  6. NaZa (33% kills)
  7. SCF (33% kills)
  8. dt_ (32% kills)
  9. Horus (27% kills)
  10. NoisyVelvet (14% kills)

HMP

1. xX_Lol6_Xx (80% kills)
  2. head_cannon (30% kills)
  3. Crusader No Regret (14% kills)

HNTR

1. Andromeda (99.7% kills)
  2. Pegleg (31% kills)

On 11/29/2022 at 12:52 AM, Bauul said:

Fair enough criticism of the map!

In hindsight, please don't take too much of what I wrote to heart.

I had played the whole wad after dying in an afternoon, and some emotions were a bit intense after getting rekt by the PElevator.