Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Garlichead

Ultimate Doom Megawads and Episodes

Hello All,

I am trying to make a list of every Ultimate Doom Megawad. While UD receives less love than Doom 2, it looks like recently there has been an spike of content being released for it. Personally, I like the episode format of the first game and while some of the medium range enemies are missed there is still fun to be had with the different power dynamics.

I have decided to move the list to an HTML file and PDF. I keep my personal notes as a Markdown file and I haven't found an easy way to paste the contents from there to Doomworld. Instead of keeping two separate lists I will update the HTML file accordingly. 

Updated on May 9nd, 2023. Added Lost Worlds and Lockjaw.

Additionally, I have added a section dedicated to Heretic. There is little content for this game, so i don´t think it is worth it to create a new doc for it

Similar endeavors can be found below.

Lots of episode reviews on this blog https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/ 

Keep an eye on this excellent post for some of the WIP projects.

Edited by Garlichead : Cleaning up the original post.

Thanks everyone, i have added the recommendations to the list. 

BTW @pcorf, i have noticed that you have made at least 3 megawads worth of content for UD. I think that is more than any other mapper, is there something in particular you like about mapping for UD? 

I know you have also made megawads for Doom2 (Whispers of Satan, Twlight Zone), but makes me curious what me you choose to map for one or the other. 

Edited by Garlichead

40 minutes ago, Anarkzie said:

Maybe this should be pinned along with one for Doom 2. Seems like it would be helpful to have around.

My concern with doing one for Doom2 is that most megawads are for it. Not sure how big the list could get.

Darkhell - A rather scrappy and abstract E2 replacement. Not the greatest but rather interesting, huge height variations.

Edited by pcorf

I attempted a similar endeavour a while back - here's the list I made, might help you w/ the 'episodes' side of things...

Hasn't been updated in a while, but you might find some stuff.   :)

An obscure full Episode 1 replacement is still available on a restored GeoCities.com page. It is called Dans.wad and the author is Dan Polak. The design is not great but it is quite fun to play.

Danswad.zip

11 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I attempted a similar endeavour a while back - here's the list I made, might help you w/ the 'episodes' side of things...

Hasn't been updated in a while, but you might find some stuff.   :)

Great stuff. It will take me some time to go over it, but looks like it has a lot of valuable information.

Finished parsing Arrowhead list. Will provide another update when I clean up the list of the episodes i could not find at all.

Updated list available here

48 minutes ago, thestarrover said:

There is this Doom Deathmatch Pack 1 by Erling Ellingsen . Episode I replacement. All maps are Deatmatch only, so I don't know if it is a valid addition for your list. 

Thanks, I will add it shortly. Considering I have added The Ultimate Twango which is a megawad of dm maps, I think this one will fit.

Here's a few other episode replacements I didn't see mentioned, either on the original list, in the HTML linked, or in Arrowhead's list.

Monument (E2, limit-removing, by Christopher Lutz, 2015)

The Parallel Dimension (E2, Boom, by The Parallel Team, 1999)

Styx (E3, ostensibly vanilla but only tested in ZDoom, by Nathan "Bishop" Chapman, 2009)

And I didn't see one megawad on those three.

The Lost Episodes of Doom (E1 - E3, vanilla, by Chris Klie and Bob Carter, 1995 -- yes, this was a commercial release made from a compilation of maps by Klie and Carter along with their input, but it's still an Ultimate Doom megawad, albeit one that predates the release of Thy Flesh Consumed)

5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Here's a few other episode replacements I didn't see mentioned, either on the original list, in the HTML linked, or in Arrowhead's list.

Monument (E2, limit-removing, by Christopher Lutz, 2015)

The Parallel Dimension (E2, Boom, by The Parallel Team, 1999)

Styx (E3, ostensibly vanilla but only tested in ZDoom, by Nathan "Bishop" Chapman, 2009)

And I didn't see one megawad on those three.

The Lost Episodes of Doom (E1 - E3, vanilla, by Chris Klie and Bob Carter, 1995 -- yes, this was a commercial release made from a compilation of maps by Klie and Carter along with their input, but it's still an Ultimate Doom megawad, albeit one that predates the release of Thy Flesh Consumed)

Just added them to the list. From now on the html file will be the most updated one, the original post wont be edited anymore

On 11/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, pcorf said:

Darkhell - A rather scrappy and abstract E2 replacement. Not the greatest but rather interesting, huge height variations.

It has a sequel called Black Hell, in case youve never heard of the followup.

Summit Of Oblivion (Mountain.wad,also released as DOOMMTN.ZIP).Episode 3 replacement.

On the idgames download page @Never_Again wrote a detailed review about this wad and it seems to have some compatibility issues with Ultimate Doom ( in particular E3M8).Maybe you could read the review before adding the wad to your list. :)

1 hour ago, thestarrover said:

Summit Of Oblivion (Mountain.wad,also released as DOOMMTN.ZIP).Episode 3 replacement.

On the idgames download page @Never_Again wrote a detailed review about this wad and it seems to have some compatibility issues with Ultimate Doom ( in particular E3M8).Maybe you could read the review before adding the wad to your list. :)

With some of the early wads you need to use and old engine on dos box. When I was playing through the 10 years of doom wads I had to do this for Aliens, Dead of UAC and Return to Phobos (this one has a lot of reviews mentioning issues on the second map, it works on 1.2 code).

Plenty of engines have been compiled here.