Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

From Hell to Eternity - Boom - Finished, done [idgames]

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Title and screenshots don't work

Really? That's unfortunate, they show up on my end - anyone want to offer a suggestion as to how I can fix it?

In the meantime I've uploaded them to imgur, I'll put the links in the post

You're not missing out on anything with the title pic - just some word art stuff I generated online

5 minutes ago, Foodles said:

Really? That's unfortunate, they show up on my end - anyone want to offer a suggestion as to how I can fix it?

In the meantime I've uploaded them to imgur, I'll put the links in the post

You're not missing out on anything with the title pic - just some word art stuff I generated online

Screens are working now, must've needed time to process how nice they look. good job!

9 hours ago, Firedust said:

Each map will take several hours to beat? Whaaaaaaat

Well, realistically probably somewhere between 1 and 2 hours for each map

I ran around a little bit in Map 1 just to see what it was like and seems like it could be quite enjoyable, so I'll definitely mark this down for a playthrough! Out of interest, is it playable in co-op or are there too many places where the maps would break if someone died?

1 hour ago, Degree23 said:

I ran around a little bit in Map 1 just to see what it was like and seems like it could be quite enjoyable, so I'll definitely mark this down for a playthrough! Out of interest, is it playable in co-op or are there too many places where the maps would break if someone died?

Thanks, MAP01 was made back in 2018/2019 and is perhaps the only map in the set that can truly be described as non-linear. I'd probably do some stuff differently if I remade it today but I think it holds up well enough and is still fun to play through.

Regarding coop I would have to say it's probably not suitable. Besides the fact that I haven't included any starts I think there'd be a lot of places where the player gets locked into and if you died in those fights you wouldn't be able to re-enter. Coop was not something I considered or had any experience with when I was making these levels but I have actually very recently started playing coop so I think the next project I make will cater for that.

What? Another mapset where each map has unique theme? Great work, you make mapping look so easy... Overally, it took me about 8 hours to finish, when I aimed at 100% kills and secrets (I managed to do that only in one map, though).

Anyway, I played on UV in Gzdoom 4.8.2 and there was a problem in MAP02: in the final areana, cacodemons can't fly away from the big central cone (sector 2477). And Gzdoom reports some geometry problems, particularly in MAP04:

Spoiler

MAP04 - Arch - Isle

Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 3711
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 3712
Unknown middle texture 'VINE02' on first side of linedef 5820
Unknown middle texture 'VINE02' on second side of linedef 5820
Unknown middle texture 'VINE02' on first side of linedef 5821
Unknown middle texture 'VINE02' on second side of linedef 5821
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 5822
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 5823
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 5824
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 5825
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 5826
Unknown bottom texture '' on first side of linedef 29813
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35378
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35380
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35390
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35412
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35414
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35415
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35416
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35417
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35436
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35443
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35458
Unknown top texture '' on second side of linedef 35539
Missing texture '' is used 53 more times

----------------------------------------

MAP05 - Ice Scream

Unknown bottom texture '' on second side of linedef 234
Unknown bottom texture '' on second side of linedef 12622

Played through map01 and had fun. I really enjoy the interconnected layout and how parts of the map link up as you play. There’s obviously a huge amount of effort gone into this. Standout fight for me is probably the pinkie/baron horde that caught me a bit off guard with the sheer scale of it :-). I quite like the dark techbase area leading to this fight. The lighting is nicely done. 

I missed a handful of monsters, and didn’t find any secrets. Normally I would go hunting at the end, but it’s a bit daunting in map this size, especially after more than an hour of play time. 

The last thing I expected was some guy with a Hulk Hogan avatar to deliver such a quality mapset and......OMG brother, this is some cool shit!!!

Honestly, I'm not sure I liked what I played of Map 01, but then, I didn't get too far in it (but you had the guts to use "Brutal Schism" which people who make smaller maps undetstandably shy away from). At least these maps have the sort of speedrunning potential where you can explore large chunks and kill decent amounts of foes if you're a decent player. It definitely gets quite spicy in spots, but probably does stop short of being slaughter. It's hard not to admire Map 04 especially for obvious reasons.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, Caleb13 said:

Anyway, I played on UV in Gzdoom 4.8.2 and there was a problem in MAP02: in the final areana, cacodemons can't fly away from the big central cone (sector 2477). And Gzdoom reports some geometry problems, particularly in MAP04:

For some reason when I compiled all my resources into one file a couple of textures were deleted. I thought I'd caught them but must have missed a couple of instances - although I think most of those missing textures are for linedefs that the player can't see.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:24 AM, ryiron said:

Played through map01 and had fun. I really enjoy the interconnected layout and how parts of the map link up as you play. There’s obviously a huge amount of effort gone into this. Standout fight for me is probably the pinkie/baron horde that caught me a bit off guard with the sheer scale of it :-). I quite like the dark techbase area leading to this fight. The lighting is nicely done. 

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately lighting was a bit of an afterthought for me when I was making MAP01, with the exception of that dark techbase area. It's definitely an area that I worked on over the course of the wad.

15 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Honestly, I'm not sure I liked what I played of Map 01, but then, I didn't get too far in it (but you had the guts to use "Brutal Schism" which people who make smaller maps undetstandably shy away from). At least these maps have the sort of speedrunning potential where you can explore large chunks and kill decent amounts of foes if you're a decent player. It definitely gets quite spicy in spots, but probably does stop short of being slaughter. It's hard not to admire Map 04 especially for obvious reasons.

I always liked that track from Eviternity and the accompanying map - MAP19 I think - was one of the standouts for me. I've seen it get a bit of flack on here at times for being overly long but as I'm sure you've worked out I like long maps.

12 hours ago, Stroggman said:

Can I use DSDA-DOOM source port?

I'm not familiar with that port but it says it's a fork of prboom so I should think it would run. The only problem may be the umapinfo doesn't work which would mean no level names and more importantly the skies would be wrong which might be particularly jarring on MAP03.

8 hours ago, Foodles said:

I'm not familiar with that port but it says it's a fork of prboom so I should think it would run. The only problem may be the umapinfo doesn't work which would mean no level names and more importantly the skies would be wrong which might be particularly jarring on MAP03.

DSDA-Doom supports UMAPINFO, so it should be fine :)

Well... I guess I might as well upload this to idgames now then.

Unfortunately I'll have to replace a lot of the custom music to keep it all above board - if anyone can suggest a track that would fit MAP03 in particular then I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for something that would work well for a space station theme but that isn't too upbeat or cheery. Also the longer the better so as not to be too repetitive.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the track choice for MAP02 either - anyone know a dark brooding track that might fit? Was thinking E1M7 but it's a tad too short really.

I really liked map03. It reminds me a bit of Interstellar Sickness from Community Chest 4, which is a favourite of mine. I had a go at trying to reduce the time for this one. Here's a uv-max in 41:47. I might come back to this one cause it's quite fun to play, and I think I can do much better on the time. Thanks for the fun maps.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, ryiron said:

I really liked map03. It reminds me a bit of Interstellar Sickness from Community Chest 4, which is a favourite of mine. I had a go at trying to reduce the time for this one. Here's a uv-max in 41:47. I might come back to this one cause it's quite fun to play, and I think I can do much better on the time. Thanks for the fun maps.

As a mapper it's always interesting to see people tackle your fights in ways you never really expected or planned for - speedrunning or just doing maps quickly isn't something I've ever dabbled with so it wasn't in my mind at all when designing these levels, so I'm glad you had fun though trying to get through it "quickly". Thank you for the video.

MAP03 was probably the one I had the most fun building, partly due to the use of the amazing OTEX pack, partly due to the sandbox design and also I just love the space station theme - I think it's probably my personal favourite in the set. You're right in that I was influenced by Interstellar Sickness as well as Scythe X.

This has finally been uploaded to idgames - I've updated the link in the top post.

If you've played this I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts, even if you thought it was crap. Especially seeing as the idgames reviews don't work anymore, apart from the couple of individuals who replied in this thread I've not really had any feedback. I'm quite pleased with maps 3, 4 & 5 in particular so I'd encourage you all to give those a go.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/fromhell

I downloaded it almost as soon as you posted it because I love levels that take a long time to play through. Ive only finished the first level so far as I don't always have a couple of hours straight to sit and play but oh my god did I find it fun as hell. Some parts took a lot of tries to get through and mostly I was either running away trying to find somewhere to make a stand or franticly fighting for my life with low health/low ammo. It really was invigorating when I'd finish cleaning up a mess and be able to restock before carefully pushing forward to see what was in store for me next. I will come back to it when I have a block of time to tackle the next level and I will make sure to come leave a more detailed comment on it as soon as I finish it and it's still fresh in my mind. Thank you for what looks like a super high quality, super high effort creation. I certainly appreciate it because these are the types of adventures that become so immersive that I can lose myself in their own special reality.

So ive played a few more levels and Wow. It really just keeps getting better and better. I again had a ton of fun with lvl 2. Everything except for the last fight that is. I have a save at the bigining of it and after probably 30 tries or so i needed to move on. I really just dont know what to do with that size and scale of slaughter. Level 3... oh yeah this is my new favorite. The gigantic sprawling space base. That thing is awesome, such an adventure to explore. And even though some of the fights get tough they arent anything that just melts my brain like the end of lvl 2. I was so pleased that its end reminded me more of lvl 1, was a little afraid i would end up with saves at the end of every lvl and be idcleving my way through. On to lvl 4. Forget lvl 3, lvl 4 is my new favorite!!!! Arch-Isle is everything i want in a map. Grand scenery, got it, twisting tunnels/corridors, got it, hard to tough incedental combat at every turn, got it, large scale battles, got it, 3/4s of the map still to play afrer the first hour, got it! This map truely feels like a masterpiece to me and im not quite done with it yet. I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between it and real life and my best guess is that my play time sits somewhere around the 2, 2 1/2 hour mark and really ive just now gotten all 3 keys!!! I moved on a little from there exspecting one more arena to end the lvl but to my joyous surprise no... the map just opened up again. Cant wait to finish this one up and see the rest of the set but as it stands level 4 is really and truely on my all time list with my other favorites of the last 30 yrs. Thanks for making these.

Edited by Insaneprophet

37 minutes ago, Insaneprophet said:

So ive played a few more levels and Wow. It really just keeps getting better and better. I again had a ton of fun with lvl 2. Everything except for the last fight that is. I have a save at the bigining of it and after probably 30 tries or so i needed to move on. I really just dont know what to do with that size and scale of slaughter. Level 3... oh yeah this is my new favorite. The gigantic sprawling space base. That thing is awesome, such an adventure to explore. And even though some of the fights get tough they arent anything that just melts my brain like the end of lvl 2. I was so pleased that its end reminded me more of lvl 1, was a little afraid i would end up with saves at the end of every lvl and be idcleving my way through. On to lvl 4. Forget lvl 3, lvl 4 is my new favorite!!!! Arch-Isle is everything i want in a map. Grand scenery, got it, twisting tunnels/corridors, got it, hard to tough incedental combat at every turn, got it, large scale battles, got it, 3/4s of the map still to play afrer the first hour, got it! This map truely feels like a masterpiece to me and im not quite done with it yet. I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between it and real life and my best guess is that my play time sits somewhere around the 2, 2 1/2 hour mark and really ive just now gotten all 3 keys!!! I moved on a little from there exspecting one more arena to end the lvl but to my joyous surprise no... the map just opened up again. Cant wait to finish this one up and see the rest of the set but as it stands level 4 is really and truely on my all time list with my other favorites of the last 30 yrs. Thanks for making these.

Thank you for the kind words, glad to hear you're enjoying it. I suspect that the end fight of map04 might be a bit much for you, don't worry too much if you can't finish it. Map05 gets a bit harder so you may want to consider playing on hurt me plenty or hey not too rough - there's not a whole lot of difference in the difficulty levels but dropping down might take the edge of some of the fights if you're more interested in the exploration/adventure aspect of the maps.

ARCH-ISLE complete. That end is at the upper end of my abilities. It felt much more doable than lvl 2s end. I think its the size and shape of the arena. Felt like i had more space to move in, more places to grab ammo and way more health pick ups. I could be wrong on all accounts but i did it in probably like 10 attempts and i couldnt even touch map 2s end in over 30 trys. I was also able to figure out a stratagy that kept getting me further early on. I still have no strat worked out for the other. Anyways. Kills- 1841/1847. Secrets- 4/9  Items- 50/51. Time- SUCKS 2:52:42. I think we could safely add another hour of deaths/reloads. Again this level will live on in my memory for all time. I cant imagine there still being better to come. But on the whole this set is already sitting right next to Lost Civilization on my list. Thanks again and now on to Ice Scream. Good luck me. 😁

Just, kinda, finished up the last map. Again im stuck with no plan on the end fight. This was easily my least favorite of the set. I did enjoy the architecture and the fights in it but it did feel way to empty for how much realestate there is. I think it would have been right with the others if all the corridors and big open rooms and giant valleys had been filled with demons to kill before what ever trap or ambush was planned got sprung. Thats really my only gripe on this one. But I get that it may have been an atmosphere thing you were going for, who am i to say whats good or not. All i know is what  I like and as a whole this set IS WHAT I LIKE. Maps 1, 3 and 4 being my stand outs. Thanks again and i will definately be looking for anything else youve made or will make in the future.