Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cammy

I don't really give a shit anymore that this game is now Marty-approved

In light of recent events, could I ask the mods for this subforum's little italicized subtitle thing to get changed to somehow commemorate Mick Gordon and his legendary work on this game? It may not be much, but I think he's owed every bit of respect he can get.

Welp, I was expecting some more clever than "Rip and Tear until is done", but is better than noting I guess.

It's funny because the current Id Software directors thinks the Reddit subforum is a more official way to communicate with the fans than a established forum that is almost 25 years old. They literally don't care about us, at least we have those guys that update the Unity port.

13 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Welp, I was expecting some more clever than "Rip and Tear until is done", but is better than noting I guess.

I think a reference to one of his songs would be better.

6 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

I think a reference to one of his songs would be better.

CEO of BFG Division.

Maybe?

I don’t think it’s Doomworld’s responsibility or even their place to get involved one way or another beyond individual users sharing their opinions. Doomworld didn’t have anything to do with this situation and nothing that is officially stated by the site can change what has happened. 

17 hours ago, Chezza said:

Let's not push this forum to take sides. It's not our battle nor would we have influence.

Also whether id software decides they will make more impact / reach more Doom fans posting on reddit or here, don't let that hurt our egos. If I was in their PR or Marketing department I would choose the same channels as well.

This forum / community is in a unique place. We still have full view of all the events without any of the crazy fan base causing chaos. If we're smart, we'll keep it that way.

To be honest, Doomworld feels very ... Quaint to me. In a good way. Might be a bit melodramatic, but I do miss the "good old days" of the internet when modems were 56K and I had to pre-plan my .... Content browsing .... Habits to the phonecalls my mother made to her mother ...

That aside, Doomworld feels quaint because it gives off the same sort of mindset than usenet. I.e.: Lurk more, don't post before lurking enough, if you're not sure whether you should post, you should lurk more.

Before *chan /i/nsurgents (and god damn baphomet, while we're at it) popularized "hacktivism", there usually wasn't even question of the community lurking on the net doing some active involvement in such events.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just an old man but I actually liked having smaller, tighter knit communities which thought twice before acting once... Or maybe I just like lurking too much.

This is definitely more orderly in terms of civility than FB or Reddit. We're all a bit shocked/bummed that id evidently made some rather poor decisions, but DW keeps things friendly and this incident shouldn't upset that. 

5 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

I'm confused, what does that thread title even mean?

It refers to this line of events.

However, since the OP hasn't re-enacted in this thread beyond suggesting in the OP to change titles (Which is analogus to taking sides if you ask me) tells me there isn't much interest from them.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

It refers to this line of events.

However, since the OP hasn't re-enacted in this thread beyond suggesting in the OP to change titles (Which is analogus to taking sides if you ask me) tells me there isn't much interest from them.

Yeah but, the drama is about Eternal production. How is Doom 2016 related, other than Mick Gordon being the score author there as well?

Marty approved, what does that even mean?

1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

Yeah but, the drama is about Eternal production. How is Doom 2016 related, other than Mick Gordon being the score author there as well?

The old sub-header for the DOOM 2016 sub-forum was "Marty Approved". Since we now know that Marty is a creature literally on par with Satan himself, OP suggested changing the sub-header, which is what happened. Now that it's been changed to "Rip and Tear", Doomworld is literally a creature on par with Reddit. RIP DOOMWORLD.

3 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The old sub-header for the DOOM 2016 sub-forum was "Marty Approved". Since we now know that Marty is a creature literally on par with Satan himself, OP suggested changing the sub-header, which is what happened. Now that it's been changed to "Rip and Tear", Doomworld is literally a creature on par with Reddit. RIP DOOMWORLD.

Oh, right. Now that I think of it, yes it was. Though I never really understood the reference, lol.

So yeah, the sub title is different now. Inb4 needs to be changed again +_+

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

So I guess Doomworld subtly took a side despite nothing being truly concluded. Probably lots of PMs to moderators from people or the mods themselves made the call.

It doesn't bother me one way or another, but I think, if anything, that the new sub-header is a showing of neutrality in order to avoid controversy, which is totally understandable. I don't think it's really anything more than that. If people have been bugging the mods via PM to change it, that's pretty stupid. I'm also not going to suddenly view Mick as a legendary hero of legend and kiss his feet over the internet just because he got screwed.

19 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

The mushroom already told you, but in this context, Marty approved could be seen as negative considering the recent Eternal events.

If you were to ask me though, its quite a nothingburger of concern.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

If you were to ask me though, its quite a nothingburger of concern.

I agree. It's just a joke, come on.

Sorry to sound like a backseat moderator, but I think it might be a good idea to close this thread as it's already served its purpose. All that's left is the potential for pointless shitflinging. Just good-intentioned advice.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

"Marty approved" was a reference to Marty having namedropped Doomworld in one of the interviews he did. Nothing more, and definitely not a reference to anything regarding the Mick Gordon situation.

14 hours ago, Quasar said:

"Marty approved" was a reference to Marty having namedropped Doomworld in one of the interviews he did.

If I recall correctly, the relevant namedrop was specifically at The Game Awards 2016.