Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

Another project that only existed in forgotten legends sees the light of day.

No, but seriously, awesome to finally see this out. You did some damn good work Essel and I'm sure the Cacoward writers are scrambling to get to their desks. :P

15 years of delays, then fretting over 15 minutes... congrats to getting rid of this albatross around your neck!

3 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

It's real?!

No, you are having an oddly specific and detailed hallucination.

I feel like going back to early 2010's, when some people would just bring up The Shores of ZDoom at the ZDoom Forums as I was ranting about stuff in broken English there as well.

Also, let me summon the Wadazine Lord @Endless for this joyous moment we shall celebrate.

I don't understand all the excitement. Wasn't this mod released like a thousand years ago? Why is everyone reacting like it just got released for the very first time? 🤨

Just now, NaliSeed said:

I don't understand all the excitement. Wasn't this mod released like a thousand years ago? Why is everyone reacting like it just got released for the very first time? 🤨

KDiZD is a ZDoom mapset from 2007.

KDiKDiZD is a vanilla doom2.exe mapset from 2022.

Been playing for a while, there are parts where I'm "yeah, this is definitely possible with vanilla if you got the know how"

And then there's other where I'm "Wait, THAT'S possible with vanilla?"

Overall I'm having a good time, this is high quality and the humour I've seen is on point.

Spoiler

I thought there was a Tile Thief on the premise, but it turned out those tiles were needed somewhere else, so to speak.

Just now, Lizardcommando said:

Are these maps more or less the same size as the original KDIZD or did these get shrunken down and streamlined?

These are comparable in size to the original KDiZD maps, with most of the changes being due to creative license rather than vanilla limits.

A spiritual tribute to one of the most famous ZDoom wads of all time specifically not working in ZDoom is pretty deliciously ironic!

Congrats on the release! I look forward to discovering what shenanigans you've managed to eek out of the vanilla engine.

3 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

These are comparable in size to the original KDiZD maps, with most of the changes being due to creative license rather than vanilla limits.

Comparable in size, but not in backtrackinggrandeur! Many hours of gameplay have been cut out from z1m7.

NO FUCKING WAY SHE DID IT AFTER TELLING ME YEARS AGO THAT IT WASN'T GONNA HAPPEN 🤯 ‼️

1 minute ago, Philnemba said:

NO FUCKING WAY SHE DID IT AFTER TELLING ME YEARS AGO THAT IT WASN'T GONNA HAPPEN 🤯 ‼️

It was true at the time, haha