Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

22 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

image.png

Hey now, don't speak ill of the terminally banned!

He should have asked the real question: why anyone would want to remake KDIZD with less gigantic levels. ...which I guess has a fairly obvious answer.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

If you’re not familiar with the original KDiZD, that’s okay! (After all, it has been… wow, 15 years?)

KDiZD is older today than Knee-Deep in the Dead was on KDiZD's release!

I personally find funny that the remake of a WAD meant to showcase Zdoom does not work on Zdoom.

The original KDIZD was never a favorite of mine (maps were way too big and confusing for my tastes) so maybe this will be more up my speed. 

I'm having trouble loading this with CrispyDoom (never really played a wad packaged in separate parts *or* one that had a dehacked file before).

for ease of typing it out I renamed the files to "ZD_A.wad", "ZD_B.wad", and "ZD_C.deh". This is how I'm trying to load them from CrispyDoom's setup exe:

image.png

when I choose to start the game though, I keep getting this error:

unknown.png

Is there something I'm overlooking that I should be doing?

4 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Is there something I'm overlooking that I should be doing?

Are you using Doom 2 as your IWAD?

And are the wads being merged? If my days of vanilla modding are serving me correctly I think it has to be formatted like this:

-merge ZD_A.wad

-merge ZD_B.wad

-deh ZD_C.deh

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Just now, Obsidian said:

And are the wads being merged? If my days of vanilla modding are serving me correctly I think it has to be formatted like this:

-merge ZD_A.wad

-merge ZD_B.wad

-deh ZD_C.deh

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Nope, don't use -merge for this. It'll break, I think.

11 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

Are you using Doom 2 as your IWAD?

Yes, and in my CrispyDoom folder I've made sure to put a copy of my v1.9 wad there. The dreaded first few notes of "D_RUNNIN" play right before it crashes

edit: Tried loading it from my ChocolateDoom installation the same way and got a similar crash with a different error message (this one about an unrecognized flat name)

Edited by SMG_Man

I thought this project would never see the day... guess I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Nope, don't use -merge for this. It'll break, I think.

Oh, actually? Wild, guess my knowledge is a bit out of date. :P

17 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

I personally find funny that the remake of a WAD meant to showcase Zdoom does not work on Zdoom.

On the other side, a lot of ZDoom-based conversions/mods don't work on non-ZDoom source ports. Win-win, I guess. :P

2 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Oh, actually? Wild, guess my knowledge is a bit out of date. :P

I don't blame you either way. All the "-file" and "-merge" shenanigans still get me confused when running vanilla-oriented conversions/mods not covered on the Chocolate Doom Wiki.

10 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Yes, and in my CrispyDoom folder I've made sure to put a copy of my v1.9 wad there. The dreaded first few notes of "D_RUNNIN" play right before it crashes

edit: Tried loading it from my ChocolateDoom installation the same way and got a similar crash with a different error message (this one about an unrecognized flat name)

Sounds like the B wad isn’t loading correctly.

Okay, so it looks like for whatever reason crispy and chocolate doom are not loading both WADs for me, even when specified. If I load the A wad first, I get the resources there like the new maps. If I load the B wad first, I get the stuff there like the new music. I'm not sure why it's refusing to load both together?

2 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Okay, so it looks like for whatever reason crispy and chocolate doom are not loading both WADs for me, even when specified. If I load the A wad first, I get the resources there like the new maps. If I load the B wad first, I get the stuff there like the new music. I'm not sure why it's refusing to load both together?

Might be a launcher problem.  When I launch Chocolate Doom 3.0.1 with lcferrum's qZDL using the two WAD files + DEH it works flawlessly.

Definitely use -file and not -merge, no matter what port you're using. Command line params should look something akin to:

choco/crispy:

chocolate-doom.exe -iwad doom2 -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad -deh kdikdizd.deh -warp 13 -skill 4

eternity:

eternity.exe -vanilla -iwad doom2 -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad -warp 13 -skill 4

dsda-doom:

dsda-doom.exe -complevel 2 -iwad doom2 -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad -warp 13 -skill 4

I tried the crispy setup loader and couldn't get it to work properly either, heh. Maybe something crispy-related that should be brought up with fabian.

Just now, AlexMax said:

Might be a launcher problem.  When I launch Chocolate Doom 3.0.1 with ZDL using the two WAD files + DEH it works flawlessly.

okay yeah, using just the extra parameters fields seems to make it work perfectly

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the help with troubleshooting this; it's reminded me of my woes getting ZDoom coop for the original KDiZD set up back in the day

Small bug on Z1M3:

Spoiler

etrn07.png

This Stone Demon can endlessly teleport in this area. Amusing, but I assume unintentional.

6 minutes ago, dew said:

Definitely use -file and not -merge, no matter what port you're using.

Just a note that Chocolate (and thus Rum and Raisin) isn't happy with you not using merge but that it runs fine anyway. So ignore a message like this if you see it:
image.png.79b0e7d846020878142099511b7d3bba.png

TFW I'll be playing this vanilla version of KDiZD through before I actually play the original mod it's based on. I glimpsed bits and pieces of it mostly out of mockery due to all the controversy but never gave it a fair shake. I know it's extremely divisive however. This on the other hand just looks right up my alley when it comes to vanilla weirdness.

I wasn't aware this was even a real project, but I just finished it and found it very impressive.  It looked amazing and played great, certainly one of the best surprises of the year.  Congratulations on the release!  There were a few things found during the playthrough:

Spoiler

VOD link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1650315142

MAP15: this slime looked like sky to me running dsda-doom with opengl, although software appears to be fine.

doom01.png.792a67b08a02b3e8631d317339c6d4cd.png

MAP31: also in dsda-doom, finishing the level played the story text about entering the military base again before going to MAP16.

I just played the first 2 maps so far, and it is the most impressive Vanilla-based map since SID. When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was one of those Arbitrary Code Execution or exe hacks.

9 minutes ago, Vile said:

MAP15: this slime looked like sky to me running dsda-doom with opengl, although software appears to be fine.

Don't use OpenGL or any other polygonal renderer. They won't run this properly at all due to them all lacking software-based sprite/texture sorting and overdraw. The main page wasn't clear as to why, but that's what it means (well part of what it means) by this not working in GZDoom.

WOAH! congrats on the release.
I get relive one of my first custom wads that i've played in a new lens. Can't wait to play this (i.e be added to my already long backlog T_T )

the Original is one of my notGuilty pleasures (I never been guilty for liking anything) so I'm excited to see how this shakes up what Im already familiar with.

This looks cool as heck. Even just speaking technically, this is cacoward worthy.

I still haven't played the original KDiZD so I think I will play that before playing this and then compare the two.

Interesting remix of the Kneep-Deep In The Dead soundtrack! It makes me want to see Knee-Deep In The Dead remade in Back to Saturn X style! :P