Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

This will show up the intro screen, but then it crashes with the following:

R_TextureNumForName: PANEL4 not found

@esselfortium will need your assistance on this. This is a stock exe with the DEH patch included and then loading up the separate WAD files accordingly. Given i see an intro screen means this is the correct way, but the error is not. Possible bug? User (meaning me) stupidity?

It's because I forgot to replace DEMO1 and the other stock demos. It should work if you just go directly to the first map. Will fix in the next update.

2 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

It's because I forgot to replace DEMO1 and the other stock demos. It should work if you just go directly to the first map. Will fix in the next update.

Appreciated. I guess that's where the -warp 13 i saw mentioned earlier in the thread comes in. Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to play this one :)

12 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

And honestly, I'm not sure how many people are even using GZDoom anymore. Just about everything new map I see coming out is aimed at Boom or DSDA. It's to the point where I think I'm going to stop making "GZDoom: Doom 2" maps because I'm not sure there's even an audience for them anymore.

Plenty of GZDoom users still but that seems to be mostly just to have all-in-one solution for playing Doom, to have prettier graphics and to use gameplay mods. Actually mapping for GZDoom can potentially lead to having very limited audience for a project.

Great job Essel and team, very impressive and somewhat baffling effects. apart from a minor slime trail in the third map it's been flawless.

38 minutes ago, banjiepixel said:

Plenty of GZDoom users still but that seems to be mostly just to have all-in-one solution for playing Doom, to have prettier graphics and to use gameplay mods. Actually mapping for GZDoom can potentially lead to having very limited audience for a project.

GZDoom has the best feel dual analog gamepad support and Raze (which is based on GZDoom) also brought the same fine controls to build games. I even ditched Eduke32 for it. Controls just feel perfect for me.

Boom doesn't even support dual analog gamepads at all. I really wanted to use it for Sunder, since the later maps run slow on GZdoom. But i don't want to play with a keyboard/mouse. I like couch play. Not sure about other engines though.

Now the question is, am i the only person in the galaxy who plays DOOM/Duke3D/Blood, etc with dual analog controls?

Probably.

57 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

@esselfortium will need your assistance on this. This is a stock exe with the DEH patch included and then loading up the separate WAD files accordingly. Given i see an intro screen means this is the correct way, but the error is not. Possible bug? User (meaning me) stupidity?

That's a crash when the attract loop tries to play a stock demo on map11. For now start your game quickly (or just -warp from command line straight away), custom demos will have to be provided.

Pretty cool! I ran into a few issues with Doom Retro oddly enough but I'm sure that's an issue with that port. Lots of cool tricks here, I can't wait to see how they were done.

18 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Boom doesn't even support dual analog gamepads at all. I really wanted to use it for Sunder, since the later maps run slow on GZdoom. But i don't want to play with a keyboard/mouse. I like couch play. Not sure about other engines though.

You should try Woof, it has perfect dual analog gamepad support atleast in my opinion. Also Eternity Engine seems to have decent dual analog gamepad support once you manage to configure it.

This is amazing.

Wasn't there a poll about which source port people use? GZDoom was ~50%? I think a fair amount of folks here use other ports more faithful to the original engine.

Does this work well with Woof without any bugs/glitches? I am thinking yes, but still want to know.

Slightly bummed that DSDA has some visual bugs with this, since it (other than GZ) has the best mouse feel and is my current go-to port. But Woof can suffice too.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Does this work well with Woof without any bugs/glitches? I am thinking yes, but still want to know.

Slightly bummed that DSDA has some visual bugs with this, since it (other than GZ) has the best mouse feel and is my current go-to port. But Woof can suffice too.

I think so. From what I've heard, the episode select screen is missing a graphic but it should work otherwise.

11 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I think so. From what I've heard, the episode select screen is missing a graphic but it should work otherwise.

There is UMAPINFO trick to skip episode selection screen in PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom. Can you consider to use "M_EPI1" patch in UMAPINFO as in EMENUS?

Thanks for amazing WAD.

12 hours ago, esselfortium said:

ZDoom doesn't support Mikoportals, which are extensively used in KDiKDiZD for voodoo doll scripting.

I have a quick and dirty little Zscript hack I did a while back that reimplements the Mikoportal effect in GZDoom, but it’s not quite perfect due to physics differences. When I get back to a machine that isn’t KDIZD vintage I’ll dig it up and see if it works well enough for this majestic creature.

3 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

I have a quick and dirty little Zscript hack I did a while back that reimplements the Mikoportal effect in GZDoom, but it’s not quite perfect due to physics differences. When I get back to a machine that isn’t KDIZD vintage I’ll dig it up and see if it works well enough for this majestic creature.

Nice, would be cool if it works!

12 minutes ago, rfomin said:

There is UMAPINFO trick to skip episode selection screen in PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom. Can you consider to use "M_EPI1" patch in UMAPINFO as in EMENUS?

Thanks for amazing WAD.

Yes, that'll be fixed in the next build.

One complaint I have is that....

I  T   N   E  E  D  S   M   O  R  E D  E  T  A   I   L ィの影ん

I'm fascinated with the red see-through floor in the E1M1 opening room.

etrn00.png.c8c4152aa60342647562c1e93e10c637.png

I don't understand exactly how this works, or more specifically, why the floor texture seems to overdraw the wall textures and not the other way around. But it looks absolutely gorgeous.

As an enjoyer of original KDiZD (played the thing as an impressionable teen and skipped the controversy so all i have for it is fond hyperdetailed nostalgia), this is hype as fuck and im loading it up in dosbox right now. oops my attempts to apply the patch the old fashioned way made an error, so chocolate doom it is

edit: made it to toxin refinery so far and holy fuck this is good. the soundtrack remixes are superb and i love all the little (and the big) workarounds to make it vanilla compatible. overall impressive as hell. and i forgot to disable savegame size limit so i am playing saveless lord help me

Edited by 129thVisplane

49 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

I have a quick and dirty little Zscript hack I did a while back that reimplements the Mikoportal effect in GZDoom

No need for Zscript hacks. All you need is the Boom line special that sets a sector's friction to be long enough to make the sector frictionless.

9 minutes ago, GooberMan said:

No need for Zscript hacks. All you need is the Boom line special that sets a sector's friction to be long enough to make the sector frictionless.

Oh neat! Might be able to hack something together using LevelPostProcessor to automatically apply that effect to any sectors set up for Mikoportals. I want to try and set up a generalised “fire and forget” solution to avoid inconveniencing vanilla scientists with additional steps on their side, I’ll post about it if I get it going.

3 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Now the question is, am i the only person in the galaxy who plays DOOM/Duke3D/Blood, etc with dual analog controls?

Probably.

I play GZDoom with dual analog controls when I am at home on sofa, and I play GZDoom and Doom Retro using dual analog controls with DeltaTouch on my phone when I am on the go, and I think I tried SMMU or DOS Eternity build in Windows 98 with an older Logitech gamepad with two sticks (and I don't remember if anything good came out of it tbh) ... So, be brave, you are not alone. ;)

3 hours ago, banjiepixel said:

It's to the point where I think I'm going to stop making "GZDoom: Doom 2" maps because I'm not sure there's even an audience for them anymore.

I would expect the interest will pick up after gamers appreciation of modern vanilla mods like KDiKDiZD and such leads them to try out the bizarre ancient over the top creations they have been inspired by. Who knows, they may discover certain more brutal flavor of Doom eventually...  

Played through the Secret level on UV, it's great so far. Two minor pieces of feedback/criticism I have:

Spoiler

Z1M3: The red key ambush feels a little ridiculous compared to the difficulty of everything else so far. Without getting the secret rocket launcher, handling so many of those gray cacodemons is an exercise in futility (you just cannot hold enough ammo for the shotgun and chaingun), leaving only escape as an option, and even that's difficult to pull off in the moment considering the labyrinthine layout of the cavern.

Spoiler

image.png

I feel like the "CELL" bit remaining here is an oversight, considering the graphical replacement for the ammo and the fact that the BFG and Plasma Gun don't seem to be usable. Something like "RIFL" or maybe "MAGN" (depending on space concerns) would definitely make more sense there.

Definitely an amazing piece of work all around.

2 hours ago, Gregor said:

I'm fascinated with the red see-through floor in the E1M1 opening room.

etrn00.png.c8c4152aa60342647562c1e93e10c637.png

I don't understand exactly how this works, or more specifically, why the floor texture seems to overdraw the wall textures and not the other way around. But it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Translucency, The Way Sega Did

How in the everlasting f@ck is it even possible?!

GZDoom has tons of features, it's mind-boggling to imagine all were converted in a way so that other source ports can run the WAD file as well.

It's even crazier than Doom4doom because that handled "only" things, not complete map geometries...

41 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Are there any instructions to make this work in Chocolate DOOM?

On Win 11, right click on chocolate-doom.exe, click show more options and then create shortcut. Then right click and select properties on your new shortcut (or highlight it and press alt+enter) and then change the target to something like below:

"C:\Games\Doom\Chocolate Doom\chocolate-doom.exe" -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad -deh kdikdizd.deh

On Linux you'd start choco with the same args. These instructions assume the zip is extracted into your choco Doom folder.

Edited by holaareola

Also note that if you're using Chocolate Doom, you will probably want to disable the savegame size limit in Chocolate-Setup.exe, so that you can save without crashing.