Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

10 hours ago, deathz0r said:

Having tested this on vanilla with a REAL 90s PC, I can say that you need a Pentium MMX @ 166Mhz and SDRAM to run this somewhat smoothly but there's only so much you can do to get around the 8MB heap size limit of vanilla, so there's still unavoidable stutter especially when there's lots of textures and flats. Using doom32 and having sufficient RAM (most likely 32MB) will most likely remove the main performance bottleneck, but I was interested in making sure that KDiZDiZD [WORKS IN INTENDED SOURCE PORT] and I'm glad that I got to see cool shit going on and helped point out performance bottlenecks.

It makes me want to see FastDoom's dehacked support get improved massively, because I'm curious to see it working at good speed on a 486DX4-100.

@viti95please test this out in Fastdoom.

What amount of SDRAM is needed for real DOS vanilla compatibility?

Ok so the only source port I am confused about not working is International Doom. Does anyone know why this wouldn't work? I am so used to it being just like Crispy and Doom Retro that I am not sure why it doesn't since those both work fine lol. The initial door doesn't open like what happens with the ZDoom-based ports.

I just finished the mapset... my god... MY GOD that was great.

the final map especially goddamn that effect near the end. (I kind of known how that is possible, but still it's crazy how you went for it.)

I legit now want to grab all of the textures, flats and monsters and make it a dehextra type assets stuff to allow people to make hyperdetailed shebang on sourceports such as boom and the similars.

I mean, i can though i probably won't right now.

Is the embedded deh lump the same as the deh file? If so, launching with Crispy Doom can be achieved with:

crispy-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad

(Crispy will automatically read from deh lumps.)

Just now, mikeday said:

Is the embedded deh lump the same as the deh file? If so, launching with Crispy Doom can be achieved with:

crispy-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file KDiKDi_A.wad KDiKDi_B.wad

(Crispy will automatically read from deh lumps.)

It's the same, yep!

Before I forget, I'd like to report some tutti-frutti bugs I found while playing on DOS. There may be more, but these are the ones I found.

idman_007.png.a15a3767d8a945c7c4ae229dc9155e85.pngidman_006.png.c908ad6ae30bc463308ca8944e0e4828.png

On 11/12/2022 at 6:48 PM, banjiepixel said:

You should try Woof, it has perfect dual analog gamepad support atleast in my opinion. Also Eternity Engine seems to have decent dual analog gamepad support once you manage to configure it.

Ok, i tried Woof and it does have dual analog support. But you can only adjust the overall sensitivity. It feels a bit weird compared to the default settings in GZDoom, like the acceleration is too abrupt or something and it's harder to make finer moves. GZDoom/Raze still feel like the best controlling (with a gamepad) so far.

I'm just in E1M4, and I must say, really really good stuff. The crazy amount of magic pulled off for a vanilla compatible wad is absolutely stunning. Good job!

On 11/12/2022 at 8:08 AM, Edward850 said:

Everyone uses, so Doom Unity? Well it might work in that but it doesn't support multi part wads as is, plus I seem to recall it's dehacked implementation doesn't support translating sprite names currently.

Just for the hell of it I merged KDiKDi_A.wad and KDiKDi_B.wad together with Slade and tried running it in Unity Doom 2. Crashed the game. Tried merging doom2.wad with KDiKDi.wad in DeuTex. The game loaded, and I was able to load MAP01, but loading MAP13 crashed the game.

Yay finally! Congrats on the release Essel. Can't wait to try out the full version later today.

Works fine now, but i want to report that IDCleving to a new level will crash the game, stating TANROCK isn't found or SPACEW2 isn't found.

(Usage: Merged DEH-patch with DoomHack, used -file to load both wads)

15 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Works fine now, but i want to report that IDCleving to a new level will crash the game, stating TANROCK isn't found or SPACEW2 isn't found.

(Usage: Merged DEH-patch with DoomHack, used -file to load both wads)

The main levels are from MAP13 through MAP20, rather than MAP01 through MAP08. Trying to load slots that haven't been replaced will cause errors.

23 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

So, be brave, you are not alone. ;)

See, @TasAcri, I told you.

IMG-20221113-214907-265.jpg

Back on the topic though, the tank in the opening part of the first map made me laugh like nothing literary has, for past few months. Thank you so much, @esselfortium. :-D 

2 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Ok, i tried Woof and it does have dual analog support. But you can only adjust the overall sensitivity. It feels a bit weird compared to the default settings in GZDoom, like the acceleration is too abrupt or something and it's harder to make finer moves. GZDoom/Raze still feel like the best controlling (with a gamepad) so far.

Maybe Eternity Engine has default settings that are more to your liking? And there is third option called Odamex for gamepad support that is worth a try. And maybe you just need to find the right settings or just get used to slightly different gamepad feel.

Note: Knee-Deep in KDiZD does not work in Odamex.

Edited by banjiepixel : added note about odamex

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

@viti95please test this out in Fastdoom.

What amount of SDRAM is needed for real DOS vanilla compatibility?

Uhhh really interesting! Will take a look :D

21 minutes ago, banjiepixel said:

And there is third option called Odamex for gamepad support that is worth a try.

Perhaps for another map set. Odamex has been noted to be incompatible with this:

On samedi 12 novembre 2022 at 4:17 AM, nickxcom said:

Because I had to try, they aren't joking, this really does not work in any GZDoom or ZDoom related port, including: Odamex, GZDoom, ZDoom, RZDoom and LZDoom. It does work fine in Doom Retro, DSDA Doom, Crispy, Eternity Engine, Woof and also Nugget. Mystery: It does NOT work in International Doom, which is odd because it is based on Crispy, not ZDoom. I'm guessing Int doom's "level select" feature in place of IDCLEV is causing the problems.

Anyway, this is great stuff and looks awesome. I am gonna play through this one now!

(Emphasis mine.)

Saves between Public build 1 and 2 compatible? If not, is there anything I can do to retain Progress? Part way through map 1. Thx!

Well, the first map was changed, so you might better start over. If you are lucky and differences to the PR1 map are not too big, you might be able to finish it, anyway. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Otherwise it should load all the other maps just fine.

Not sure if this is any concern or not, but Crispy throws out a lot of warnings like this:

P_LoadLineDefs: Unknown special 1023 at line x.
P_LoadLineDefs: Special linedef x without tag.

None of the maps seem broken. Maybe this is a warning we should suppress in Crispy.

This mapset is a tremendous achievement btw. Holy cow. Really loving the midis also.

14 minutes ago, mikeday said:

Not sure if this is any concern or not, but Crispy throws out a lot of warnings like this:

P_LoadLineDefs: Unknown special 1023 at line x.
P_LoadLineDefs: Special linedef x without tag.

None of the maps seem broken. Maybe this is a warning we should suppress in Crispy.

This mapset is a tremendous achievement btw. Holy cow. Really loving the midis also.

Thanks!

The use of the nonexistent line special 1023 is a workaround I did for ZokumBSP's odd behavior with self-referencing sectors. My understanding is that applying a special keeps the lines from being pruned from the blockmap, and thus keeps the player from falling through them.

Is it only me or does the secret exit in z1m3 take you to command control instead of military base?

I'm playing in the latest official version of Eternity Engine.

I love the new soundtrack btw!

Made some widescreen assets!

CREDIT.png.4c0882ea34058e624340e351596af7e0.pngHELP.png.81c3e14a2415d3ea2eb848175d0795c3.png

A ZIP with a WAD containing all the widescreen graphics (including remapped STBAR and INTERPIC) can be found hereFeel free to include these in the next public release if you'd like!

Just went through the first map in the public build 1, and calling it a day (did not have courage to venture into the epilepsy inducing frightening maze I expect to see beyond red key door of the second map),  have couple of questions on whether what I see is what was intended:

1. when entering the sophite/dark corridor at the start of the level I am getting pickup messages for health potions, but nothing gets picked up

2. the carcass gibs on the floor tinted bright green with a grey tip - are these what remains from fellow actors? I think I saw "classic" red gibs as well, but who knows...

3. classic imps - are they supposed to glow gold slightly before launching the missile and also bleed gold? I noticed classic imp dead bodies have red stains, while those killed by the player are tinted gold for me

4. a certain item "probably" found in the yellow key room - was there a pick up message for it? was running away from the monsters, so did not notice if there was actually an item to be picked up...   

Overall, impressive wad, although makes me feel I am no match for the past way to often...

One rather "niche" request/question - as I'm not sure which source ports support this anymore :( - possible to include an SMMU-style start map into the mod,  that will launch the player towards map13 after difficulty selection? Would be cool if it was studio/props themed, like starting rooms of the actual maps.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, Yhe1 said:

Saves between Public build 1 and 2 compatible? If not, is there anything I can do to retain Progress? Part way through map 1. Thx!

Would cooking up a build1.5 in, say Slade, help here? What I mean is putting build1 map1 into build2, loading from your savegame, finishing map1, saving in map2, and then continuing with build2 proper. 

Just now, Vader said:

Is it only me or does the secret exit in z1m3 take you to command control instead of military base?

I'm playing in the latest official version of Eternity Engine.

I love the new soundtrack btw!

Hmm, it goes to Military Base for me. That's very strange. I've tried in the official version and in a dev build.

39 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Just went through the first map in the public build 1, and calling it a day (did not have courage to venture into the epilepsy inducing frightening maze I expect to see beyond red key door of the second map),  have couple of questions on whether what I see is what was intended:

1. when entering the sophite/dark corridor at the start of the level I am getting pickup messages for health potions, but nothing gets picked up

2. the carcass gibs on the floor tinted bright green with a grey tip - are these what remains from fellow actors? I think I saw "classic" red gibs as well, but who knows...

3. classic imps - are they supposed to glow gold slightly before launching the missile and also bleed gold? I noticed classic imp dead bodies have red stains, while those killed by the player are tinted gold for me

4. a certain item "probably" found in the yellow key room - was there a pick up message for it? was running away from the monsters, so did not notice if there was actually an item to be picked up...   

Overall, impressive wad, although makes me feel I am no match for the past way to often...

One rather "niche" request/question - as I'm not sure which source ports support this anymore :( - possible to include an SMMU-style start map into the mod,  that will launch the player towards map13 after difficulty selection? Would be cool if it was studio/props themed, like starting rooms of the actual maps.

It sounds like the dehacked patch isn't loading correctly, as those are definitely not intended behavior. What port are you using?

edit: Okay, 1 and 4 are intended. I can't read.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

The main levels are from MAP13 through MAP20, rather than MAP01 through MAP08. Trying to load slots that haven't been replaced will cause errors.

My bad. The new build's first map serves as a hub to the proper level.

1 hour ago, viti95 said:

Uhhh really interesting! Will take a look :D

Love to hear your reports!

Just now, OpenRift said:

Made some widescreen assets!

CREDIT.png.4c0882ea34058e624340e351596af7e0.pngHELP.png.81c3e14a2415d3ea2eb848175d0795c3.png

A ZIP with a WAD containing all the widescreen graphics (including remapped STBAR and INTERPIC) can be found hereFeel free to include these in the next public release if you'd like!

I think this is mighty impressive and a worthy contribution to this. Amazing work.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

I think this is mighty impressive and a worthy contribution to this. Amazing work.

Thanks. Honestly, I'm just lucky the backgrounds were based on textures used by the WAD, lol.