Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

So cool to finally see this project get an actual release, thought this was vaporware for sure ;) Huge congrats to the team on this one!

I remember being obsessed with the og KDiZD back in the day and still have a soft spot for all of the tacky ZDoom feature abuse and late-00s overdetailing. Was certainly an iconic era of Doom and editing for sure!

Very keen to play thru this one and am looking forward to seeing all of the black magick and engine tricks that were used to get this playing nice in vanilla!

And seeing as no-one seems to have brought it up yet… TSotSoZD when??? jk ;P Hahaha! 

I am curious if it would be possible to make a "split screen" video showing both level gameplay and conveyor belts at work in vanilla by connecting two DOSBoxes in coop with one player idclipping to a good vantage point and the other actually playing the level?

48 minutes ago, Fabricator said:

I remember being obsessed with the og KDiZD back in the day and still have a soft spot for all of the tacky ZDoom feature abuse and late-00s overdetailing.

I still love that. Give me all your geometry details, give me objects sticking out of other objects until i die.

5 hours ago, Fabricator said:

And seeing as no-one seems to have brought it up yet… TSotSoZD when??? jk ;P Hahaha! 

Can't wait for ZinfernZinferno and Thy Flesh Thy Flesh ZDoomed

13 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

Keep them to make a wardrobe. 

Reveal hidden contents

XoKEJn8.png

Dang, there needs to be a map where you collect all the Armors and open the secret exit.

i finally managed to get this working with doom32 last night!! thus far, it's been an absolute blast to play; i'm on z1m4 rn, and not only is this a really fun wad, but this is also by far the most impressive vanilla mapset i think i've ever seen. the level of technical prowess shown off in nearly every corner of the maps is astonishing, to say the least. not only did you manage to implement various zdoom-like details into the maps, but you also got scripting in fucking vanilla. you've really outdone yourself.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

i finally managed to get this working with doom32 last night!! thus far, it's been an absolute blast to play; i'm on z1m4 rn, and not only is this a really fun wad, but this is also by far the most impressive vanilla mapset i think i've ever seen. the level of technical prowess shown off in nearly every corner of the maps is astonishing, to say the least. not only did you manage to implement various zdoom-like details into the maps, but you also got scripting in fucking vanilla. you've really outdone yourself.

Glad you're having fun!

Credit where credit's due, the vanilla scripting tech I used in this was made possible by Mikolah, Linguica, and Nine Inch Heels. The method they figured out for vanilla scripting is one of the big things that led me to resurrect this project from hibernation in 2020.

Map31 (Z1M9) UV Max playthrough:

My absolute favorite out of the first 4 maps.

I really like the whole atmospheric design of the base, and those occasional outdoor view is just nice to look at.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

To be clear, what did you do to get it working? I suggested some things over on Discord, but i am not sure if that did the trick.

Damn, this is truly impressive. I'll confess now that I have yet to play it myself, but I did catch a live-stream of another person playing it. I am honestly dumbstruck. There are some things, like slopes on the ceilings or deep water effects, that I could get my head around regarding the vanilla limitations. The 3D floors/mid-textures and the large monster bestiary, is something I struggle to understand regarding these limitations. And then there's doors that slide along the horizontal plane.

Milking a joke that I've already made, but how many virgins were sacrificed to an undying god in order to create this feat?

1 minute ago, CyberosLeopard said:

Damn, this is truly impressive. I'll confess now that I have yet to play it myself, but I did catch a live-stream of another person playing it. I am honestly dumbstruck. There are some things, like slopes on the ceilings or deep water effects, that I could get my head around regarding the vanilla limitations. The 3D floors/mid-textures and the large monster bestiary, is something I struggle to understand regarding these limitations. And then there's doors that slide along the horizontal plane.

Milking a joke that I've already made, but how many virgins were sacrificed to an undying god in order to create this feat?

No human sacrifices involved, other than my own sanity.

The dehacked patch's python source is commented and explains some of the tricks used to squeeze in so many monsters. If you have more questions I'm happy to answer them!

If you just downloaded build 4 a minute ago, please download it again. The dehacked patch embedded inside the wad may have been incorrect because I forgot to update it. Fixed now.

Well trying it so far, and sadly it doesn't seem that vanilla essence can imitate the old render system.

that's kind of a bummer, but on the brightside this will be fun to play with Hideous destructor!

Edit: Hideous destructor can't work because it changes a lot of the assets for it's own.

i hope kinsies compatibility Zscript thingy can help fix things.

i think the reason being is that mods that changes the character physics are breaking the MikoPortals

Edited by Redead-ITA : found the sad truth

Only software mode is supported for KDiKDiZD due to the effects used. If you play in hardware rendering on GZDoom, all of the lights will be unlit, and the translucency and reflection effects won't display at all.

I'm also not sure if it'll work well with mods because the dehacked patch makes very substantial changes all over the place.

13 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

If you just downloaded build 4 a minute ago, please download it again. The dehacked patch embedded inside the wad may have been incorrect because I forgot to update it. Fixed now.

Top 10 EPIC fails of Doomworld history!

(the other 9 are times I did literally the exact same thing)

I don’t even use GZD much beyond testing, but I’m so glad to see a version that’s compatible. The more people who are able to play this, the better.

21 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Well trying it so far, and sadly it doesn't seem that vanilla essence can imitate the old render system.

that's kind of a bummer, but on the brightside this will be fun to play with Hideous destructor!

Edit: Hideous destructor can't work because it changes a lot of the assets for it's own.

i think the reason being is that mods that changes the character physics are breaking the MikoPortals

Any mod that alters player behaviour should have safety checks for voodoo dolls, it's not too hard to implement.

24 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

There is already a more thorough ZScript compatibility patch in build 4, which fixes not only the scripts but also several other features that were broken or misbehaving in GZDoom.

16 minutes ago, Marisa the Magician said:

Any mod that alters player behaviour should have safety checks for voodoo dolls, it's not too hard to implement.

Well the mods i tested with might have their own reason.

HD(Latest stable) didn't work at all with any of the more specialized effects, not even the Camera door worked.

Lt.Typhoon (v6) Miko Portals broke on z1m2, when i tried to press a switch to open the door to the  Forcefield generator

I've also tried trailblazer to see if it breaks also but it seems to be working well so far, but i've also noticed some things that might still be 

UPDATE: i've also tried pandemonia, but it seems activating Miko portals in there just kills you.

35 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Only software mode is supported for KDiKDiZD due to the effects used. If you play in hardware rendering on GZDoom, all of the lights will be unlit, and the translucency and reflection effects won't display at all.

I'm also not sure if it'll work well with mods because the dehacked patch makes very substantial changes all over the place.

Well not every mod, but the most well known ones use OpenGl rendering for a lot of effects, so i can see not working for a reason.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

Looks like something's still going on. I got the version after the fix (and then dled it a second time just to confirm), and it looks like there is a red key in Z1M1 where the yellow key is supposed to be. It looks like it's a dehacked error, not thing placement, since there's a yellow key there in UDB.

3 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Looks like something's still going on. I got the version after the fix (and then dled it a second time just to confirm), and it looks like there is a red key in Z1M1 where the yellow key is supposed to be. It looks like it's a dehacked error, not thing placement, since there's a yellow key there in UDB.

Hmm, I'm seeing a yellow key still, testing in Eternity, Chocolate, and GZDoom. I haven't touched either of those keys in the patch since long before the first public build... What port are you using, and how are you loading it?

Huh. I'm in EE, but I guess I'm loading multiple wads wrong? When I load stuff in GZDoom, I can just line them up on my desktop in the order I want them to load and drag them over the source port .exe and it works; in this case, my intended order was A, then B, then the deh file.

1 minute ago, Not Jabba said:

Huh. I'm in EE, but I guess I'm loading multiple wads wrong? When I load stuff in GZDoom, I can just line them up on my desktop in the order I want them to load and drag them over the source port .exe and it works; in this case, my intended order was A, then B, then the deh file.

I'm not sure why that wasn't doing it, but you should be able to just drag and drop the entire zip file onto Eternity.exe and have it work.

Also note that this runs with Doom 2, not Doom 1.

1 minute ago, Not Jabba said:

Or you could keep them inside the .zip file and drag it to EE instead.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

The major new features are GZDoom support (with caveats: GZDoom currently has some issues with the palette, so you'll see bright white pixels that shouldn't be there)

As someone who is too indoctrinated with GZDoom's specific mouse-support implementation to find it easy to swap to another source port, I want to extent a genuine heartfelt thank you for taking the time to get a GZDoom version working. 

I know it's not your preferred source port, and that a huge point of this project is to utilize edge case features of the vanilla renderer and engine that simply don't exist in modern GZDoom anymore.  So it is sincerely appreciated that you went out of your way to make it happen (and huge shout-out to everyone who helped), despite it being neither relevant to you or to the project.  Thank you very much!

So, since this plays in "ye olde DOS " EE versions, and seeing how lovingly the MAP01 placeholder was made, I couldn't help but try to make it into a "SMMU-like" start map (well, in other words - like that special map they had in Quake for selecting episode and difficulty). Sadly not a proper start map (as player gets to choose difficulty setting in the menu), and not clear if it will run with SMMU due to some later functions used in fraggle-script   well, turns out it runs with SMMU and should be EE-compatible (not modern EE, mind you!):

Edited by ludicrous_peridot