Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

Seeing this released today was a big surprise, congratulations on the release! I'm looking forward to playing this! :D

I just played through the first map, and I was absolutely astounded how aspects of this map are vanilla-compatible! Some things I would like to mention:

- The pickup sprites now have all 8 sides, which is so cool-looking, especially the keys, which spin on themselves, super nice!
- Did the armies of hell start issuing toothpaste to its conscripts? The teeth of the imps glow bright in the dark now. I guess dental hygiene is always important no matter whatever corner of hell you're from.

- Apparently you can climb on top of certain decorations now (secret-related, wink wink ;)) )
- The camera sequence that shows the platform lowering is very neat!
- The background of the automap is bright blue now, instead of black. It's kinda hard on the eyes getting blasted by blue light while i'm playing at night. Is that due to artistic decision, or something on my end? I play on DSDA-Doom btw. 
All in all, awesome opener, consider me hooked!

1 minute ago, Soll said:

- The background of the automap is bright blue now, instead of black. It's kinda hard on the eyes getting blasted by blue light while i'm playing at night. Is that due to artistic decision, or something on my end? I play on DSDA-Doom btw. 

I see someone didn't read the main post; under known bugs:

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

In DSDA-Doom and PrBoom-Plus, you may run into some oddities. The automap background color appears as an eyesearing bright blue instead of the expected black. (You can override this in the settings page if you want.) Also, sprites for players, Nightmare Demons, and Hell Knights will appear with glitched colors.

Just now, Soll said:

I just played through the first map, and I was absolutely astounded how aspects of this map are vanilla-compatible! Some things I would like to mention:

- The pickup sprites now have all 8 sides, which is so cool-looking, especially the keys, which spin on themselves, super nice!
- Did the armies of hell start issuing toothpaste to its conscripts? The teeth of the imps glow bright in the dark now. I guess dental hygiene is always important no matter whatever corner of hell you're from.

- Apparently you can climb on top of certain decorations now (secret-related, wink wink ;)) )
- The camera sequence that shows the platform lowering is very neat!
 All in all, awesome opener, consider me hooked!

I'm not sure why the imps' teeth are glowing for you, that's not normal.

The blue automap backdrop is a known compat issue with DSDA-Doom, because its automap defaults to using the palette's duplicate black (which I've replaced) instead of the first one (which vanilla uses). You can change it in the port settings. There are also some odd sprite color-remapping glitches in DSDA, which might be accounting for that imp weirdness, though I haven't encountered that particular one...

Because I had to try, they aren't joking, this really does not work in any GZDoom or ZDoom related port, including: Odamex, GZDoom, ZDoom, RZDoom and LZDoom. It does work fine in Doom Retro, DSDA Doom, Crispy, Eternity Engine, Woof and also Nugget. Mystery: It does NOT work in International Doom, which is odd because it is based on Crispy, not ZDoom. I'm guessing Int doom's "level select" feature in place of IDCLEV is causing the problems.

Anyway, this is great stuff and looks awesome. I am gonna play through this one now!

11 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I see someone didn't read the main post; under known bugs:

Ah okay, damn i somehow missed it even though i have read through the main post, really need to get my eyes checked lol

11 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

image.png.8112dca97199e99bcd761c821609f9ac.png

The effect is much more noticeable in dark areas. I think pinky eyes also glow too. The way i load the wad is i place the doom 2 iwad into the kdikdizd folder, select KDiKDi_A.wad, KDiKDi_B.wad and kdikdizd.deh at once, drag and drop all of them into the DSDA-Doom application. Maybe something went wrong while i was drag-and-dropping, but i'm not sure.

Just now, Dreemurr Deceevurr said:

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT. I remember reading the project thread for this back in the day. Never thought I'd actually see it released!

ME EITHER LOL

13 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

They were glowing for me too. Also playing on DSDA-Doom, I thought it was just a wonky brightness palette I once saw here but if it wasn't intended...

Hmm, in that case it's probably related to the known issue DSDA has with KDiKDiZD's sprite color remapping. As far as I can tell, it's a bug in the port's handling of color translation. Hopefully it can be fixed at some point. It's probably related to how much I rearranged the palette.

Aside from Chocolate Doom, Eternity is the port I primarily developed and tested this with, so you can try that for the Ideal Intended Experience™, at least until the DSDA oddities are (hopefully) fixed.

I'm convinced this is magic. Esselfortium and this wad are both made of sorcery. How is even a quarter of this vanilla-compatible? My jaw has confirmed contact with the seafloor.

9 minutes ago, dac said:

They were glowing for me too. Also playing on DSDA-Doom, I thought it was just a wonky brightness palette I once saw here but if it wasn't intended... 

I tested across dsda, chocorenderlimits and vanilla, and I do recall the teeth from dsda. But that's the least of it, other custom monsters are completely sparkly because of the palette issues. You'll know. Basically, dsda complevel 2 is functionally perfect, but visually there will be glitches.

I don't get it.

The screenshots don't look as good as the original mod. KDIZD looked more detailed than that.

Also, it's the same episode of DOOM 1? The same levels? But works with DOOM 2?

I feel like i'm missing something here.

Uh...wow. I literally didn't know this was a thing until I saw the thread just now (shows how much I know about community goings-on) and holy shit this is vanilla compatible? Might as well rename the site Hereticworld 'cause you people are black magicians.

I'm one of those nutbags who actually finished a full playthrough of the original KDiZD so I'll definitely have to make time for this.

3 minutes ago, Trar said:

I'm one of those nutbags who actually finished a full playthrough of the original KDiZD so I'll definitely have to make time for this.

I modified the original KDIZD by adding some aspects from beautiful DOOM, removed the new weapons, restored all the original weapons (but kept the custom monsters) and used the PSX music.

The result was amazing IMO. Best DOOM mod i ever played.

1 minute ago, TasAcri said:

I modified the original KDIZD by adding some aspects from beautiful DOOM, removed the new weapons, restored all the original weapons (but kept the custom monsters) and used the PSX music.

The result was amazing IMO. Best DOOM mod i ever played.

That does indeed sound very good. Would you get smacked for uploading that modification if you still have it?

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Not compatible with true-color rendering or ZDoom-based ports

Is this the joke or is it actually not compatible somehow? I thought anything vanilla compatible runs in ZDoom ports. It's EDGE stuff that doesn't? This looks better than the original KDiZD so that's why I asked. Original is overdetailed in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Is this the joke or is it actually not compatible somehow? I thought anything vanilla compatible runs in ZDoom ports. It's EDGE stuff that doesn't? This looks better than the original KDiZD so that's why I asked. Original is overdetailed in my opinion.

ZDoom doesn't support Mikoportals, which are extensively used in KDiKDiZD for voodoo doll scripting.

16 minutes ago, Trar said:

That does indeed sound very good. Would you get smacked for uploading that modification if you still have it?

I have the whole folder uploaded here with everything needed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ul0lpiiweqk307t/Knee-Deep_in_ZDoom.zip/file

But you'll have to fix the controls (i use a gamepad) and naturally, change the paths for the mods in the ini.

Edit: You must also change the name of the "gzdoom-Tasos.ini" to whatever your PC name is. Or "gzdoom-portable.ini".