Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Does anyone make Joke Wads anymore?

I chipped into a joke mapping project that ended up ballooning into three megawads hinging on forum banter: The Baron Door Tryptich. The premise of the wad's creation is a joke.

My own ongoing project started as a bit of a joke too: "what if there were harmless but annoying chickens?".

For an example of a good jokewad, I'd cite 50 Shades of Graytall, a joke told through texture constraint. It's memorable not just because of the gimmick, but the maps being quite fun.

So yes, I think Jokewads and telling jokes and sight gags via maps are valid approaches, but like all comedy it's gotta stick the delivery.

yeah, ofc. it's just that, because of cultural shifts, proper jokewads that aren't steaming piles of shit look much different from how they once did. plutonia 7, 50 shades of graytall, and doom in spain only are three good examples of modern jokewads; while they differ significantly from something like community is falling or mock 2, they're still primarily focused around some form of joke. it's just that, nowadays, jokewads tend to be much more meta and less obnoxious with their comedy

as soon as kdizdizd dropped (and it is amazing) i was immediately imagining a similar level set but where none of the tricks and hacks actually worked
like that mock 2 skybridge that is actually just a bunch of midtextures you fall through immediately but for archways and portal windows
and also extra dehacked enemies that break and get stuck at the end of their attacks, medkits rotating the wrong way as you approach them etc

On 11/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

There's this one from last year firmly in the tradition of Mock 2, not to mention Plutonia 7 and TNT 3. But yeah, Community is Failing was a good idea.

I still think Plutonia 7 was a good enough send-up of Plutonia that it should have gotten a Mockaward the year it came out. MAP01: Conga starting with a long Congo-type hallway with chaingunners that open up on you at the halfway point is a magnificent opener, followed by MAP02: The Well of Shit...and MAP31: Patreon Money being a thing...

i used to make non-functional shit-show diddle-dong flip-flop worst wads possible as a joke because they were the only ones i could use. 

i just honestly miss joke wads where their plot it was about things that happened in the community or that involve some of the members of the community like the "Oh no Community is Falling series" things like that controversy around certain "mapper" about it assets or the haxxor kid that hacked Doomworld could have made a good entry for the "Oh no community falling" series

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but I thought it was an absolutely fascinating jokewad:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59415 (No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod)

It kinda makes me think of this:

Edit: That mod gave me an idea for a relatively simple jokewad, demaking the beginning of Doom 2016 in Episode 1 but instead making it seem like Doomguy is having a psychotic break in a doctor's office at a mental institution before Doom starts properly, and then change the ending slightly so it seems like Doomguy teleports to a well lit padded room with orderlies beating him up until he passes out.

I never made a mod before, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Edited by ILuvDoomguy

On 11/15/2022 at 6:00 PM, Biodegradable said:

More like #MakeJokeWADsFunnyAgain

it may have been due to what you think is funny, or what type of person you are. Your humor will definitely change since you were 12 or so, and if you're a serious person, then you probably don't see many things funny like someone else would

Jokewads never went anywhere. Only their quality has dropped sharply.

I figured it was a decent possibility you made it, but I didn't want to assume so, since lots of Doomtubers feature WADs on their channels they themselves didn't create.

To me what makes or breaks a jokewad is taking itself seriously. Actual serious effort aimed at entertainment being put into the WAD.

Hell, to me the apex is when you cannot even tell if you're playing a joke or if you're supposed to take it seriously, as per my Philosodoom wad.

I have been planning / developing a bunch of those, tbh, for example:

• Ballet gameplay mod. Jumps and twirls and kicks and hops, causing damage and dodges and parries. Pink tutu is not optional.
  • Idle Doom 2: Idle Harder. Prestige mechanic along with a bunch of monsters from Realm667. If anyone has any idea on how to get system time in ZScript, so I can calculate offline gains, that'd make my life balancing it so much easier.
  • A map where I listen to the voices in my head to see if they agree that a room is well-designed or not, and also listen to their suggestions for new rooms, making something akin to Yume Nikki.
  • A map that's actually different every time you play it, comprised of about a hundred different rooms and corridors that are dynamically connected by portals when the map starts. Some combinations making it unbeatable is intentional.
  • Health is alcohol. The more HP you have, the more your aim wiggles and the more zig-zaggy you run. This has been hell to balance so far.
  • E1 of Doom 1, but the map is rotated. That is, instead of going north, you go up. Controls modified to play similarly to Descent. Mild performance problems because damn that's a lot of portals and 3d sectors.
  • A SuperHot clone. How to implement the slowdown, you ask? Still unsure if I should do it with A_SetTics or Decorate variables. As for projectiles, gotta go through all of them manually and multiply their speed, or at least I didn't find a better way.

Disclaimer: Not all of those are real. At least half of those are lies for comical effect. One was a lie for comical effect and I actually liked it and might do it in the future. Tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain types of fungal infections are common. In case of side effects, stop treatment immediately and seek medical assistance.

1 hour ago, Albertoni said:
  • A SuperHot clone. How to implement the slowdown, you ask? Still unsure if I should do it with A_SetTics or Decorate variables. As for projectiles, gotta go through all of them manually and multiply their speed, or at least I didn't find a better way.

Funny you should mention that, I was trying to work on something like this as a gameplay options toggle. I need to make time move during all of the non-weapon-ready frames as well to keep hitscans from being as OP

5 minutes ago, dasho said:

I need to make time move during all of the non-weapon-ready frames as well to keep hitscans from being as OP 

My idea to solve this was simple. Take a hint from Brutal Doom and turn hitscans into very fast projectiles. Of course, then you have to figure a way to make them pass through decorations... Could be better, could be worse.

I don't think that'd work in your case since, well, it'd be a port option and that would make things maybe too weird for a gameplay toggle. Sorry.

That would work, but my goal is to implement it at the engine level and not modify anything about the games themselves so that it would be universally compatible.