• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Telephones

What do you think of telephones?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of telephones?

• I hate them!!! All of them, cell/mobiles, home phones, work phones, thay are all the tools of satan.
    • I don\'t mind home phones, but Cell/Mobiles are evil.
    • I like all phones!! they are wonderful!!!

Ichor: He wants to get rid of them cause they are teh evil :)

Anyway, I don't mind home phones or cell phones, it's just all these asswags walking round talking real loud on their damn cell phones like they own the fucking place is what I don't like about'em.

Because I hate them. that let compeate strangers contact you when ever they whant. they boot you off the internet, they go off a random times, you HAVE to answer them because it might be sombody improtant. (BUT IT NEVER IS) they love to go off when your on the loo, or just about to sit on the couch to a nice cup of coffee, or a hammering you mate at doom/quake/what ever else you play, I hate them. all of them.

and mobile ring tones suck. (sorry, just venting.)

Ct_red_pants said:

Because I hate them. that let compeate strangers contact you when ever they whant. they boot you off the internet, they go off a random times, you HAVE to answer them because it might be sombody improtant. (BUT IT NEVER IS) they love to go off when your on the loo, or just about to sit on the couch to a nice cup of coffee, or a hammering you mate at doom/quake/what ever else you play, I hate them. all of them.

and mobile ring tones suck. (sorry, just venting.)

Let's break this down for you shall we?

1) There are things called telezappers that will detect if a telemarketer computer is dialing your number then it erases your number off their computer and hangs up automatically for you.

2) Your living in the past, get off 56k and get highspeed, won't be a problem then. Highspeed is pretty cheap these days.

3) You don't have to answer it. Ever heard of call display? Most phones these days have a configuration that if the number isn't in your desired list, then it will usually ring once then hang up.

Then get caller ID, or maybe an answering machine. Although it won't solve the problem of knocking you off the internet (a second, unlisted phone line would help in this case), it will let you know who's calling.

You can disable call waiting (which is what knocks you off the Internet) by setting your dialing properties to make your modem dial a code sequence, which varies by provider and location.

Phones are great, you wouldnt be online without them.
I have an unlisted number so telemarketers arent a problem.

Besides all of the logical solutions and their practical applications, I still hate telephones. They never fail to ring when I'm invloved in something and don't want to be interupted, it doesn't matter what. Infact, I have a funny little anecdote on this very subject.

When I was in 8th grade, I was an avid Magic player (yeah, Magic the Gathering). In the midst of an intense match with a formidable opponent, I decided to exectute a spell that involved sacrificing a card. As I announced this action, the scene played out like this:

"I'm goin to sacri-FUCK THE PHONE!!!!"

As you can imagine, the phone rang in the middle of my spell, and for a long time "Sacrifuck" was an inside joke between my friend and I.

I know just how The Captain feels. Even though phones are necessary and convenient, I hate them all and would not be sad if they were suddenly destroyed.

Vominus said:

"I'm goin to sacri-FUCK THE PHONE!!!!"

Haha...thats great.

Anyway, I also hate phones. I mean...I pick them up, its never someone I want to talk to. I call someone, they are never there (and its always aswered by someone they live with who is a total paranoid and whats to know 'who the fuck' I am). And then those cell phones are godawful. Ever be in the middle of a heated conversation with someone, their phone rings, then you have to sit around for 10 minutes as they talk to someone who I guess is more important? Also, its such an impersonal means of communication. I mean...its just this dull monotoned voice you're listening to no matter who it is, and since there is no visual contact, about 60% of the conversation is lost. At least you can emote on the internet. :P

Anyway, I do agree that pay phones are useful. Usualy what saves me from a 5-mile walk home when I'm stranded in town.

Phones can be a damn nuisance, but sometimes, sometimes, they're a nice way of getting in touch.

Sometimes, it's my mum who's calling (and since I go on fairly well with my mum, I can spend time chit-chatting with her, unless I'm in a bad mood), sometimes, I actually manage to make it through to one of my few friends and then it's nice to talk to them (unfortunately, my friends don't live anywhere near me and they're often busy so it's hard to invite them over - enter phone).

You know what's really sad. To get those dumbshit ring tones people actually dial up a 1-900 number and sit on the line paying a buck a minute waiting to start downloading a ring tone and hope they get the right one. So the people who have tons of them are complete freaking morons that blow more on these annoying mangled unrecognizable versions of fractions of songs than they do for the actual phone service.

I just hate how everyone is Soo obsessed with the damn cell phones! I made a really funny picture of a Lizard talking into a cell phone saying "can you hear me now? can you hear me now? etc." Anyways, on the next part of the picture it shows the cell phone overheating and it blows up in the Lizard's hand and half of his face is missing! Hahaha... I wish I knew where the picture was...

Anyways, I bet in the next twenty years, those damn things will start blowing up in everyone's hands leaving a hole in there head. They'll be sorry they ever got those annoying pieces of metal!

I like my home phone, but I don't think I'll ever get a cell phone unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't use my home phone often enough to use a cell phone.

The telephone I use most is from the early 80's. There's a wire going from the phone to the wall, none of that wireless stuff, and the thing was built to last.

Yeah... Phones are convenient and they allow us to make simple connections which can lead to complex plans, but they never fucking fail to interupt at just the right moment!!

I've been many deep conversations (mostly with my good buddy, Eric, who plays in the excellent melodic death metal band, Enforsaken) when the damn cell phone rings. It always rings right when I'm building up to the central point of my argument or my rant. I know that ultimately it's just a coincidence, but goddamn, it's annoying!!

I wanna build my own log cabbin in the mountains with no damn phones where I can be happy all by myself. Maybe with a DSL or cable line line though!

To all those who own cell phones:
Why dont you guys do what most of the world does and turn them off when your doing something important?
You must be the master of your phone, not the slave ...or something like that.

Assuming we don't turn it off in the first place when we go out?

Besides. Nobody gives me unsolicited calls on my cell phone. I use it as a handy house phone or for emergencies and trips.

[edit] Argh! I got a popup for a cellular phone service!

Good point, Assmaster.

I've been bouncing around college courses for nearly the past 2 years, and I'm still fucking miles off from my Associate's because I can never make my damn mind up (it'd take a whole new thread to explain my acacemic difficulties), but goddamn, people need to turn their cells off when they're busy!! I've been in so many classes when the professor is in the middle of an important lecture, or even worse - in the middle of a slideshow to augment the lecture, and someone's damn cell phone goes off. It's a distraction and an annoyance that could easily be prevented, so be mindful of your possessions and your whereabouts!

Assmaster said:

To all those who own cell phones:
Why dont you guys do what most of the world does and turn them off when your doing something important?
You must be the master of your phone, not the slave ...or something like that.

TOEJAM & EARL!!!

d000000d!

Anyway, I don't have any phones in my room and I don't plan on getting any. It's irritating enough hearing them ring in the rest of the house.

None of the calls are for me anyway, unless it's some bozo calling for Carleton Sheets, in which case I don't want to talk with him anyway.

ANYWAY...