Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Myeyesarebleached

In your opinion, do you think there is going to be another doom game?

Not for a while I think. 

1 hour ago, Ozcar said:

I think i rather new quake game than new doom game.

This but please, PLEASE not the Q2/Q4 setting. Return to Q1. 

1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

Not for a while I think. 

This but please, PLEASE not the Q2/Q4 setting. Return to Q1. 

I think the Strogg deserve another chance... maybe. I would like a mix of Q1 and Q2 together in a nice little package.

i'm sure there will be, but i honestly hope not. i may be in the minority with the opinion, but i feel as though good franchises should come to a close sooner rather than later so that they don't go on and on and end up turning into utter dogshit. that way, people will look back and remember it fondly as a fantastic franchise that came, left its mark, and went without ever overstaying its welcome.

realistically, however, the series is unfortunately gonna continue until it runs out of steam

They should just reboot it again and go for more of a horror slant, it's not like survival horror games aren't profitable in current year, there's a lot of indies but there's also notable AAA releases in the works for multiple IPs. It doesn't even have to go full Doom 3 for fear of alienating the common audience, it would be nice to see a Doom 64 style interpretation but with modern presentation.

Hopefully not, personally I'm not a fan of rehashes / reboots / assorted living in the past / basking in former glory. New IPs please.

I most certainly hope not. Doom 2016 ended on the perfect cliffhanger and i would hate to see that ruined with like, over-explaining exposition cutscenes and the wrong cues taken from D2016's gameplay or something like that. /s

Simple answer: It makes money, so yes.

Complex answer: It generates revenue, so yes.

With all the apparent drama I've heard about between mick and id (and by extension, bethesda), I don't think another doom game will be made for quite a while...

Spoiler

There's probably going to be a rage 3 or something like that.

Of course, but maybe not for a while.

Besides, why would id drop their most iconic franchise?

16 minutes ago, DELTA256 said:

With all the apparent drama I've heard about between mick and id (and by extension, bethesda), I don't think another doom game will be made for quite a while...

Hide contents

There's probably going to be a rage 3 or something like that.

I don't think that a bitter disagreement between id and the man that did the soundtrack would ever stop Zenimax/Bethesda from greenlighting another Doom game. Doom 2016 and Eternal sold well, and they can find someone else to make music for it. I mean, id kept making games after Bobby Prince, and Trent Reznor, and Sonic Mayhem.

As long as it makes money, there will be another Doom. And after the sales disappointment that was Rage 2, I highly doubt they'll revisit that franchise. I'd love to see a new Quake game, based on Quake 1, I doubt it'll happen. It seems like it would be more of a side project for Machine Games to handle, if they weren't busy with the Indiana Jones game. 

So yeah, there's going to be another Doom game, because Doom sells.

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Hopefully not, personally I'm not a fan of rehashes / reboots / assorted living in the past / basking in former glory. New IPs please.

This. I wish we would get to see a new IP from id. Their last new ip was Rage and that's over a decade ago.

There will 100% definitely be a new Doom game. Even if the series lays dormant for a while - even if Id tire of the series and swear off it - the nostalgia cycle will demand another one as assuredly as it demands a new Mario, a new Sonic, a new Tomb Raider, a new Final Fantasy, and whatever other nostalgic property can be milked for all its worth.

4 hours ago, roadworx said:

i'm sure there will be, but i honestly hope not. i may be in the minority with the opinion, but i feel as though good franchises should come to a close sooner rather than later so that they don't go on and on and end up turning into utter dogshit. that way, people will look back and remember it fondly as a fantastic franchise that came, left its mark, and went without ever overstaying its welcome.

realistically, however, the series is unfortunately gonna continue until it runs out of steam

I think the next Doom game will be another reboot.

Like we have Classic Doom (Ultimate, II, Final, 64), Doom 3 (+ROE), and Slayer's Slayga (2016, Eternal, TAG1, TAG2). I consider those three as being three entirely separate franchises under the Doom umbrella (or Doombrella, if you will), as each are defined by massive differences in technology, gameplay, design principles, art direction, etc.

Whatever the next Doom game is, it'll be a new take; it won't be a continuation of the Slayer's adventure because there's pretty much no room for it to go further after he attacked and dethroned God in TAG2, they have ran out of sharks to jump. And from the timeline, we can assume it'll be a good decade before this happens:

- 1993: Doom 1

- 1994: Doom II

- 1995: The Ultimate Doom

- 1996: Final Doom

- 1997: Doom 64

- 2004: Doom 3

- 2005: Resurrection of Evil

- 2016: Doom 2016

- 2017: Doom VFR

- 2020: Doom Eternal, TAG1

- 2021: TAG2

i feel like they've pushed doom as far as they can in the Badass Metal category; if they try to go deeper for a possible next game it WILL be corny. predicting either no new Doom or a stylistic switch-up (and definitely a step away from the weird makyr lore etc)

Honestly I wish there won't be a new Doom game.  1993 is still going strong, and will still be going strong in another 10 years while 2016 and Eternal will go mostly forgotten as they are mostly a meme regarding presentation as well as murky controversies surrounding them.  Let's get a new Eldritch/Lovecraftian Quake instead.

I mean hopefully yeah.

Doom Eternal 2 will do but ideally, I'd be down for one in the same vein of the "Modern Retro Shooters" (Or "Boomer Shooters") we are getting, there's been some pretty good modern takes on the old style and I'd say one of the old guard needs to come back and show em how it is done.

15 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I'd love another Doom game, but not DE2.

Of course, we're gonna get DE2. 

What Mr Freeze said.

A new Doom game would be great. I'm all for shooting the hell out of a bunch of demons. I'm tired of glory kills, purple goo, giant question marks, dashing, fake infighting and too much platforming and I only played for 8 hours and got sick of it.

I mean some platforming is fine and I'm good with upgrading weapons and such. I wasn't big on Eternal's location. Earth gets boring and Mars has been done, tho I did like 2016's Mars, which was pretty nice. Give us a demon invasion on another planet or space station or a huge UAC ship in deep space and planetside combo. Drop the glory kills... I just want to shoot shit and pick up shit like in the first three games.... maybe I'm just old and cranky.

If we get a new Quake with glory kills... please shoot me.

Chances are there will be in like a decade or so. But it won't be one I'm buying if Marty Stratton is gonna be attached to it.

Considering Microsoft technically owns id Software, and considering Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal got decent reception and sales, I don't see why not. I can even see them figure out some contrived plot-point to bring the Slayer back as opposed to doing another reboot since they wrote themselves into a finale at this point.

Yes, unfortunately. Although it'll probably have heavy Quake elements and probably references to wolfenstein as well, that canonize the Slayer as BJ's grandson or some other silly nonsense.

More than likely yes, but I'm not particularly excited about it. The charm of Nu-doom has thoroughly worn off for me at this point and I think they should give the franchise a rest for a few years.