Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

The Truth About OOF!

A really fascinating exposé on the origin of the ROBLOX_OOF.mp3 sound, Tommy Tallarico's career and the importance of historicity in video games. I will not say more not to spoil anything, but it is highly insightful, especially if you are interested in video game history.

Edited by Rudolph

Sooo... a two hour video that starts off by telling me the "Wilhelm Scream" wasn't originally done by "Wilhelm". And apparently goes off talking about Roblox. I think I have slightly better uses for two hours than watching this. Not much better mind you, but better.

Like most H.Bomberguy's essays, the video does go somewhere and it is an interesting thesis - in this case, on historicity and the importance of crediting authors in general. If you do not have anything to add to the thread, I would invite you to refrain from commenting altogether.

Edited by Rudolph

1 hour ago, Jello said:

two hours

Two hours?! Just to talk about a dumb odd sound effect from a Minecraft ripoff uhh... game? I'd rather put my head in a beehive.

Edited by Nevander

22 minutes ago, Jello said:

Sooo... a two hour video that starts off by telling me the "Wilhelm Scream" wasn't originally done by "Wilhelm". And apparently goes off talking about Roblox. I think I have slightly better uses for two hours than watching this. Not much better mind you, but better.

Yeah, this is not content worthy of a thread. What are we even supposed to talk about?

If you do not have anything to add to the thread, I would invite you to refrain from commenting altogether.

I would invite you in turn to create a thread worthy of discussion.

Spoiler

Join me next week for a free two-hour lecture on the origin of #2 pencils!

14 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Just to talk about a dumb sound effect from a Minecraft ripoff?

Pretty sure Roblox came first before Minecraft...

Uhh ... A bit weird, but I guess this IS Everything Else.

About the only thing I can say on this is that I actually discovered this by watching Ross Scott's content and he covered Messiah extensively. I was listening to his video and playing games, and then heard it. At first, I thought that Ross used memes in his video, which isn't his style, so I went back and checked, and lo and behold.

Other than that ... I never ever played Roblox, have no intention to and am not interested in anything related to it at all.

EDIT:

Not really interested in the video either, because I don't find the topic worthwhile of two hours without music. Me being ADHD, I don't think I will appreciate the tangents either. Not for two hours.

If the point is to talk about historicity and the importance of crediting creators as was pointed out in a response above, I truly believe that most meaningful things on the topic can be discussed within 30 minutes. And I'm known for never shutting up and going off on tangents myself.

You don't have to watch the video if you don't want to, but it isn't *just* about a Roblox sound effect. In fact, it's barely about that. I am a 40 year old man who doesn't care in the slightest about Roblox, but the video springboards into talking about a character who is, in fact, very interesting.

9 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Hide contents

Is that you, Mark Bussler? 

And the video length isn't a problem if you're like me and need something to listen to at work. 

5 minutes ago, Ragu said:

You don't have to watch the video if you don't want to, but it isn't *just* about a Roblox sound effect. In fact, it's barely about that. I am a 40 year old man who doesn't care in the slightest about Roblox, but the video springboards into talking about a character who is, in fact, very interesting.

Aye, I figured out the other part of the purpose of the thread. You posted before I edited. I suppose, if the character themselves is interesting, and if the tangents are interesting, not having to jump through two hours of video and not burying these discussion topics under a legion of tangents would help focus the conversation while also making it more accessible to people who really don't have that much free time.

Then again. This IS Everything Else. So La-Dee-Dah. Not like I'm complaining. Just ... Feels counter productive. But I'm not judging.

33 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Two hours?! Just to talk about a dumb sound effect from a Minecraft ripoff? I'd rather put my head in a beehive.

the original roblox was created in 2004 lol, but i agree

2 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

Aye, I figured out the other part of the purpose of the thread. You posted before I edited. I suppose, if the character themselves is interesting, and if the tangents are interesting, not having to jump through two hours of video and not burying these discussion topics under a legion of tangents would help focus the conversation while also making it more accessible to people who really don't have that much free time.

Then again. This IS Everything Else. So La-Dee-Dah. Not like I'm complaining. Just ... Feels counter productive. But I'm not judging. 

It's essential framing, and like it or not, more people are going to be interested in a video that says it's about the origin of a popular meme among younger people than telling them it's about a long-established and successful, but not quite a household name, game industry figure who just happens to be a compulsive, self-aggrandizing liar and (arguably) a scam artist, and the layers of untruths he's built around himself.

1 minute ago, Ragu said:

It's essential framing, and like it or not, more people are going to be interested in a video that says it's about the origin of a popular meme among younger people than telling them it's about a long-established and successful, but not quite a household name, game industry figure who just happens to be a compulsive, self-aggrandizing liar and (arguably) a scam artist, and the layers of untruths he's built around himself.

Interesting, perhaps. Essential ... I do not agree here. If anything, for many people, the framing is irrelevant and an immediate turn-off. As for using a title like that to lure people to listen in to what is essentially a dirt-drop (admittedly, on an actual scumbag, but still, if I understood you correctly, it's basically a dirt-drop) and is click-baiting. I'm of the philosophy that, if content needs to bait people with the coat-tails of something else, especially such cheap clickbait as Roblox ... Then it's not worthwhile content in the first place.

Of course. Everyone will have a different opinion here. And perhaps I shouldn't debate this further without at least skimming the video or googling the person talked about. But that's exactly the point. The "essential" framing is the reason for which I do not care about ANY content within the video, nor even want to find out, no matter how important the information within it is. I highly doubt I'm the only person in that position, too.

More importantly, the choice of Roblox as click-bait is particularly astonishing, considering the younger audience who gets baited by Roblox is very unlikely to care about Mr. Tallarico at all, and is even more unlikely to have an attention span beyond the actual Roblox part in the first place. While, older people, people without ADHD, or simply people who ARE actually interested in the topic, or are subscribers to the creator of the video don't really need the clickbait to watch the video in the first place.

As said, different folks, different strokes, of course. But this feels unproductive in the worst possible way.

34 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Yeah, this is not content worthy of a thread. What are we even supposed to talk about?

I would invite you in turn to create a thread worthy of discussion.

Hide contents

I hope you took notes. Test is tomorrow

29 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

Not really interested in the video either, because I don't find the topic worthwhile of two hours without music. 

There is faint background music throughout most of the video, are you interested now?

3 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

There is faint background music throughout most of the video, are you interested now?

Nope. I'm a bit of a special case because ADHD. If there was only two hours of music without talking distracting me from it, then I would be interested, yes. But then, that's beyond the premise of the video, is it not?

36 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Pretty sure Roblox came first before Minecraft...

It is.

Roblox came out first in 2004, and Minecraft in 2009. lol

4 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

Interesting, perhaps. Essential ... I do not agree here. If anything, for many people, the framing is irrelevant and an immediate turn-off. As for using a title like that to lure people to listen in to what is essentially a dirt-drop (admittedly, on an actual scumbag, but still, if I understood you correctly, it's basically a dirt-drop) and is click-baiting. I'm of the philosophy that, if content needs to bait people with the coat-tails of something else, especially such cheap clickbait as Roblox ... Then it's not worthwhile content in the first place.

Of course. Everyone will have a different opinion here. And perhaps I shouldn't debate this further without at least skimming the video or googling the person talked about. But that's exactly the point. The "essential" framing is the reason for which I do not care about ANY content within the video, nor even want to find out, no matter how important the information within it is. I highly doubt I'm the only person in that position, too.

More importantly, the choice of Roblox as click-bait is particularly astonishing, considering the younger audience who gets baited by Roblox is very unlikely to care about Mr. Tallarico at all, and is even more unlikely to have an attention span beyond the actual Roblox part in the first place. While, older people, people without ADHD, or simply people who ARE actually interested in the topic, or are subscribers to the creator of the video don't really need the clickbait to watch the video in the first place.

As said, different folks, different strokes, of course. But this feels unproductive in the worst possible way. 

Essential framing within the context of the video itself, not essential framing within, like, the world. This video is doing a thing called "storytelling", which often takes you from one place to another, unexpected place, in an interesting and entertaining way. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but claiming that telling a story by starting with something relatively recent and relevant and spinning it into something much more expansive and fascinating is "clickbait" is frankly absurd. You don't have to be interested in how it's presenting itself, and you don't have to watch it if it doesn't catch your fancy, but this is sort of like going into a movie and expecting that the twist is written on the poster.

20 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Essential framing within the context of the video itself, not essential framing within, like, the world. This video is doing a thing called "storytelling", which often takes you from one place to another, unexpected place, in an interesting and entertaining way. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but claiming that telling a story by starting with something relatively recent and relevant and spinning it into something much more expansive and fascinating is "clickbait" is frankly absurd. You don't have to be interested in how it's presenting itself, and you don't have to watch it if it doesn't catch your fancy, but this is sort of like going into a movie and expecting that the twist is written on the poster. 

I do understand storytelling. Please, no need for patronization.

I'm saying that storytelling has it's place in stories. Not in what is essentially a documentary or a news piece comparable to CNN hit-pieces. The very premise of exposing real-life information like this, is about precision. It would be understandable if the purpose is fiction, or reality-based fiction (an example of this would be Restrepo, which is a documentary about military conflict). But if the purpose is to make a hit-piece ... Storytelling has no place there. Unless again, the purpose is to do fictitious hit-pieces.

For a more punchy example: Would you put storytelling in technical literature? Would you include a preface, and a story about goblins in a C++ manual? Especially to the point where said storytelling is bloating out the end result to the point where the 200 pages C++ manual only has 10 pages of actual technical information? If I'm watching news, I don't need a movie in the middle of it. If I'm watching a movie, I don't need a 20 minutes expose on Social Justice in it. If I'm playing a game, I don't need an ASMR cooking show break every 10 minutes of it.

And if you present this video as supposedly informative on borderline criminal activity by someone ... Maybe that's not the best place to include storytelling. Especially not storytelling about children's games. And you shouldn't name said hit-piece after said childern's game in order to get the aforementioned children to click it. The opposite is true as well. If you're going to be covering a child's game, and even use that child's game to bait children to click the video ... Maybe that's not the right video to include a hit-piece in.

Edited by CFWMagic

3 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

I do understand storytelling. Please, no need for patronization.

I'm saying that storytelling has it's place in stories. Not in what is essentially a documentary or a news piece comparable to CNN hit-pieces. The very premise of exposing real-life information like this, is about precision. It would be understandable if the purpose is fiction, or reality-based fiction (an example of this would be Restrepo, which is a documentary about military conflict). But if the purpose is to make a hit-piece ... Storytelling has no place there. Unless again, the purpose is to do fictitious hit-pieces.

In layman's terms ... Would you put storytelling in technical literature? Would you include a preface, and a story about goblins in a C++ manual? Especially to the point where said storytelling is bloating out the end result to the point where the 200 pages C++ manual only has 10 pages of actual technical information? If I'm watching news, I don't need a movie in the middle of it. If I'm watching a movie, I don't need a 20 minutes expose on Social Justice in it. If I'm playing a game, I don't need an ASMR cooking show break every 10 minutes of it.

And if you present this video as supposedly informative on borderline criminal activity by someone ... Maybe that's not the best place to include storytelling.

This is neither technical literature, a news article, nor a "hit piece", it is not revealing anything that isn't already out there. The possible criminal activity is well known to anyone who has been following the story (though he does dig up some stuff which probably *isn't* as well known, but he's already been charged and sentenced for that stuff). It's packaging it in a way that is entertaining and interesting, which is the foundation of documentary filmmaking.

12 minutes ago, Ragu said:

This is neither technical literature, a news article, nor a "hit piece", it is not revealing anything that isn't already out there. The possible criminal activity is well known to anyone who has been following the story (though he does dig up some stuff which probably *isn't* as well known, but he's already been charged and sentenced for that stuff). It's packaging it in a way that is entertaining and interesting, which is the foundation of documentary filmmaking.

It's also not a movie, a funny video compilation, nor a variety magazine. If it's going to be a documentary, then it should be documenting the topic it sets out to document, instead of spending 75% of it's time diverging to completely irrelevant, if arguable entertaining information. The two simply aren't related. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really am. And I'm glad that it clicked for you. But you can not tell me that naming something after a children's game for the purpose of getting more clicks as you yourself admitted in this post:

59 minutes ago, Ragu said:

and like it or not, more people are going to be interested in a video that says it's about the origin of a popular meme among younger people than telling them it's about a long-established and successful, but not quite a household name, game industry figure who just happens to be a compulsive, self-aggrandizing liar and (arguably) a scam artist, and the layers of untruths he's built around himself. 

You can't tell me this isn't clickbait after basically defining it as such, with your very own words. You literally mention that the video is going to attract more viewers because of it's name. While apparently, the actual roblox content is but a footnote. In essence ... The title is a lie, with a single purpose: attract more views based on Roblox's popularity. That, by definition, is clickbait.

EDIT: This is dragging on ... As such I'll back-off. Best wishes and fare-thee-well. Until our next talk, if such is fated.

Edited by CFWMagic

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Like most H.Bomberguy's essays, the video does go somewhere and it is an interesting thesis - in this case, on historicity and the importance of crediting authors in general. If you do not have anything to add to the thread, I would invite you to refrain from commenting altogether.

Personally I would invite you to not treat "Everything Else" like your personal blog every time you create a new topic. But then I would be an asshole.

Hbomberguy's long-form essays are never just about the subject. They're full of tangents and rants and asides, and that's part of the point. He even pokes fun at how he intended to make a short video, but then fell into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out just what Tommy Tallarico's deal is. He basically loses his mind by the end of the video, and it's meant to illustrate a greater point about how the games industry is set up to reward braggadocious blowhards like Tallarico while the people who actually put their time and effort into things get forgotten. It uses the Roblox "Oof" sound to illustrate that.

If you don't like the format, that's fine, but at least skim through more than the first ten minutes of the video before you claim you know what it is.

15 minutes ago, bofu said:

If you don't like the format, that's fine, but at least skim through more than the first ten minutes of the video before you claim you know what it is.

I agree, but therein lies the problem: everyone in the thread did a better job of describing the point of the video than the OP himself, who simply created a thread and said "watch this two hour video about a Roblox thing". He provided no explanation or opinion of his own. There is no context or anything else provided, which is why it comes across as a blog post. It would be like if I just randomly posted an interview with Metallica for no reason other than the fact that I watched it.

34 minutes ago, bofu said:

Hbomberguy's long-form essays are never just about the subject. They're full of tangents and rants and asides, and that's part of the point. He even pokes fun at how he intended to make a short video, but then fell into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out just what Tommy Tallarico's deal is. He basically loses his mind by the end of the video, and it's meant to illustrate a greater point about how the games industry is set up to reward braggadocious blowhards like Tallarico while the people who actually put their time and effort into things get forgotten. It uses the Roblox "Oof" sound to illustrate that.

I might watch the entire thing. And I'm sorry that I dismissed it as quickly as I did, but given the OP's history, I'm quick to dismiss anything they post.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Two hours?! Just to talk about a dumb odd sound effect from a Minecraft ripoff uhh... game? I'd rather put my head in a beehive.

LOL. I love how you crossed Minecraft ripoff out

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Personally I would invite you to not treat "Everything Else" like your personal blog every time you create a new topic. But then I would be an asshole

Personally i would invite him to learn how a forum works because the whole public discussion concept seems to still be lost on him.