Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arsinikk

200 Line Massacre: The Slaughtering (Vanilla Megawad) [Final] - Quality of Life Update (10/21/23)

I have yet to find time to give this a spin,

but HOT DAMN,

this is one of the best things I've seen all year. Can't imagine how many hard hours were poured into this - huge congratulations to everybody involved in this project, everything looks incredible!!

Honored to have been asked to contribute a map to this project. The new DeHackEd stuff was really fun to mess around with.

Looks like that's gonna be *THE* PWAD to test the new Woof same sound limiter. I mean, with those hordes of monsters, it's gonna make your headphones explode if the port cannot handle sounds properly... 

8 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Lost Soul - People just don’t drink enough milk nowadays. Skulls are now so much more fragile (90 to 45 HP).

The lost soul has 100 HP by default.

Looks cool, will have to play this at some point!

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

The lost soul has 100 HP by default.

Haha that's what I get for going off memory. It seems the Pinky health was also wrong. :P

I've, of course, fixed both to be correct. Thanks for keeping me from looking too dumb. :D

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

Looks like that's gonna be *THE* PWAD to test the new Woof same sound limiter. I mean, with those hordes of monsters, it's gonna make your headphones explode if the port cannot handle sounds properly... 

I'd be a bit curious how well this runs in Woof, since I don't really use it as my main. I did work with some of the Devs to get a certain visual effect to work correctly in MAP25. I think some of the brightmaps on the switches in MAP35 may be wrong as well...

Thanks @vile for streaming this. Going to put it on top my list of what to play next. It has that good balance of gameplay , style , length of maps/ fights w/ that X factor we all look for in a wad! GG guys. 

I was looking forward to this one - very polished and fun maps with some cool gameplay changes to give it its own flavor.  Congrats again on the release and thanks for hanging with me while I played through it. :)

Was the beat at the end of that video 'Closer', by NIN? Looks tastefully brutal, and the carefully tweaked length of the maps makes it sound like something you could chew through in a day or two. *chef's kiss*

Congrats on this release. I only just found out about this, but it seems you guys have really been cooking with gas lately, this being a mere 8 months after 100 lines. I admire that sort of work pace.

11 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Was the beat at the end of that video 'Closer', by NIN?

Yupp, I love how you could tell just from the simple drum pattern. It's the midi used for MAP32. :D

11 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Congrats on this release. I only just found out about this, but it seems you guys have really been cooking with gas lately, this being a mere 8 months after 100 lines. I admire that sort of work pace.

I have been doing alot this year. Hope you enjoy this one! :)

I've done a little minor update, fixing some minor issues with some ports and a misspelling in the story text.

I don't expect much large updates to come, unless we hear of a super game-breaking bug or something.

Download Now (Link also updated in the OP)

Changelog:

Spoiler

- Added obituaries for ZDoom ports and Eternity Engine for Spectral enemies (MAP17)

- Fixed Pain Elementals not shooting the weaker lost souls in ZDoom ports.
Lost souls in ZDoom ports also don't count towards the kill count.

- Fixed BRGHTMPS for custom switch textures - Specifically for Doom Retro [working with dev for full compatibility]

- Fixed a misspelling in the MAP11-MAP12 story text.

Edited by Arsinikk

Tried my best to play the mapset, here's my thoughts:

Let's be honest: I'm not good at Doom. At all. I even have trouble with some of the IWAD levels, and that's considered child's play by most of the community's standards. I only play on UV in the first place because it's pretty much to be expected from most players. I knew this was gonna be a tough one going in... and let's just say my attempt would not make for a watchable YouTube video.

Save-scumming, corner camping, and continuous play was the bread and butter for my whole attempt, I'm humble enough to even admit I had to resort to... cheaty measures just to ensure I'd be able to see the next map at all.

Then Map 11 happened. I'm not a big fan of Map 11.

I respect your craft, I like your levels... but I gave up around that map.

2 hours ago, kinker31 said:

Let's be honest: I'm not good at Doom. At all. I even have trouble with some of the IWAD levels, and that's considered child's play by most of the community's standards.

I'm gonna be honest, this mapset is hard. Like it's not for beginners at all. Especially on UV. There's a reason why I've implemented all skill levels for the WAD; so that players who can't play on the UV skill can still enjoy the maps at a lower difficulty. I'd say that HNTR of this WAD would be equivalent to UV of the IWADs, if not a bit harder.

I only play on UV in the first place because it's pretty much to be expected from most players.

This is an assumption that you should honestly not have. It may have started out this way, but over the many many years of Doom WAD making, the difficulty ceiling of WADs has been going up and up. What used to be UV back in the day, is not the UV of today. Of course, it also depends on the kind of WAD we are talking about. This WAD is literally subtitled "The Slaughtering". It takes many influences from NinjaDelphox being a speedrunner and playing Hell Revealed 2, to me (Arsinikk) not being a speedrunner, but UV-maxing slaughter WADs like Sunlust and Combat Shock 2.

I should've added a line in the OP that says, "This WAD does not mess around on UV, so don't hesitate on lowering the difficulty if you can't handle it."

Then Map 11 happened. I'm not a big fan of Map 11.

I hate to say that in our (the mappers) and playtesters' experience, this is one of the easier maps. It does rely on some Slaughter techniques like herding Revenant rockets and the like. Back to my point earlier, on HNTR I completely replaced the Revenants in this map entirely because on easy I did not have faith that those players would be able to deal with it. I also hate to say that the further you continue in the WAD, the maps only get harder from there. I highly suggest that if you were to pick it up again, to play on a lower difficulty.

I respect your craft, I like your levels.

Thank you. We know this is a sorta niche difficulty/type of WAD, so we can understand if some players can't beat it. I'm glad that you like the levels themselves though.

Edited by Arsinikk

Sounds like this is a bit of a challenging WAD. I had flashbacks to Combat Shock 1 and 2 when viewing the release trailer, so I'm wondering if it's comparable to the difficulty in those, or if it's more along the lines of say, Swim With The Whales. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this and 100 Line Massacre, one after the other, this coming weekend.

48 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Sounds like this is a bit of a challenging WAD. I had flashbacks to Combat Shock 1 and 2 when viewing the release trailer, so I'm wondering if it's comparable to the difficulty in those, or if it's more along the lines of say, Swim With The Whales. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this and 100 Line Massacre, one after the other, this coming weekend.

I may have puffed up the difficulty a bit in my last post. While testing 200 Line Massacre, I did always play every map from pistol start. That's definitely harder than continuous.

For 100 Line Massacre, I compared the difficulty to something harder than Plutonia. Something around Speed of Doom. 200 Line Massacre is in fact harder imo, which I think is what people would expect from a sequel.

It is hard to gauge difficulty though. I couldn't really say it's as hard as Combat Shock 2 or Swim With The Whales, since the maps are only 5-7 minutes long. The short playtime of each map kinda makes them easier. However, the fights themselves can get pretty spicy at times, equivalent to fights in other slaughter-type WADs.

Update:

Was irrationaly salty when I made my first post on this thread, since I tried to play it on a UV, on a vanilla-compatible source port, and got rekt like a n00b.

Much more calmer now, so here's some more thoughts:

• Kinda wished it got along with gameplay mods more nicely, but I suppose it's only the nature of DeHackEd wizardry, eh?
  • Trying to beat this properly on HMP, let alone UV, is still way above my paygrade, but I personally found it to be much more enjoyable (if unbalanced) with Gun Bonsai and Indestructable, as well as a few GZDoom gameplay tweaks and additions here and there.
  • The Bonus Zone 2 chewed me up and spat me out, even with help from my mods. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

I'm starting to appreciate this WAD a lot more, very glad I didn't try binning it when I got angry at it the first time 'round!

I've done a big of a more substantial update, one that actually requires a .1 added to the version number.

The main thing this update provides is a new BFG firing sound effect that better fits the quicker firing animation (Thanks @Peter).

Other changes are minor compatibility tweaks for non-demo ports like GZDoom and the like.

Download Now (Link also updated in the OP)

Changelog from initial posted version:

Spoiler

- Added new BFG firing sound effect.

- Added obituaries for ZDoom ports and Eternity Engine for Spectral enemies (MAP17)

- Fixed Pain Elementals not shooting the weaker lost souls in ZDoom ports.
Lost souls in ZDoom ports also don't count towards the kill count.

- Fixed BRGHTMPS for custom switch textures - Specifically for Doom Retro [working with dev for full port compatibility]

- Fixed a misspelling in the MAP11-MAP12 story text.

- Changed how ZDoom ports treated mikoportal vertical scrolling walls (ANIMDEFS -> ACS script)

@kinker31 glad you kept with it. I'm kinda surprised that you were able to use the gameplay mods at all with how extensive the DehackEd is. I was honestly going to put a disclaimer that mods may / may not work with the WAD. I'm glad you were able to get some enjoyment. The Bonus Zones are meant to be challenges for the player, so it makes sense that one of them would give you trouble. Thanks for playing! :D

@Keyboard_Doomer Thanks for letting me know. With today being Thanksgiving for me, I might not be able to join for long, but I may be able to join for a little bit. Have you tested any of the maps for incompatibilities? I only say that because the WAD relies more heavily on stuff like voodoo dolls telefragging monsters and the like, so the correct compatibility flags are very important to get right, even more so than 100 Line Massacre.

Edited by Arsinikk

7 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Have you tested any of the maps for incompatibilities?

There are some known non-critical issues in ZDaemon but ultimately one of the reasons we host non-final versions is to catch any issues that might fixing. We have scripts that can solve all kind of softlocks so the experience shouldn't be too bad even in a worse case scenario but we'll see :P

18 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I may have puffed up the difficulty a bit in my last post. While testing 200 Line Massacre, I did always play every map from pistol start. That's definitely harder than continuous.

For 100 Line Massacre, I compared the difficulty to something harder than Plutonia. Something around Speed of Doom. 200 Line Massacre is in fact harder imo, which I think is what people would expect from a sequel.

It is hard to gauge difficulty though. I couldn't really say it's as hard as Combat Shock 2 or Swim With The Whales, since the maps are only 5-7 minutes long. The short playtime of each map kinda makes them easier. However, the fights themselves can get pretty spicy at times, equivalent to fights in other slaughter-type WADs.

I see. Yeah, that makes sense and gives me a pretty solid idea of where these WADs are on the difficulty spectrum. All in all, sounds like something to sharpen your teeth on without quite going into the sadistic territory. In the past I would keep my arsenal all the way through a WAD, but these days I try to play WADs with pistol start on every map, unless the instructions specify otherwise. Should make things particularly interesting with some of the more notoriously challenging WADs I have waiting on my backlog.

Out of curiousity, are there any places in 200 LM that absolutely require you to utilize monster in-fighting?

1 hour ago, Caffeine Freak said:

these days I try to play WADs with pistol start on every map, unless the instructions specify otherwise

I might suggest playing MAP02 both pistol start and continuous. MAP01 has a death exit, so I might argue that MAP02 is actually harder in continuous with low health, rather than with full health on pistol start.

1 hour ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Out of curiousity, are there any places in 200 LM that absolutely require you to utilize monster in-fighting?

I mean, obviously there are places in the WAD where infighting is helpful in clearing out the monster count. I can't really think of a place that strictly requires monster infighting, or at least a map that requires a focused effort in instigating monster infighting.

M35 on "Vile Cruelty" was an interesting challenge. Not the hardest map I've been played before, but took ~ 1 hour and a bunch of save / load sequence to beat.

3 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

M35 on "Vile Cruelty" was an interesting challenge. Not the hardest map I've been played before, but took ~ 1 hour and a bunch of save / load sequence to beat.

1 hour? That's a little bit of a yikes to me :P

But I'll give you props for making it through!

When I designed that map, it definitely wasn't meant to take that long. I think at most for me, UV+ should take around 10 minutes.

I'll admit that MAP35 is the longest map in the set with the most enemies. But I was still going for a map you could complete rather quickly.

I saw your mini MAP35 walkthrough you posted on your corner of silence thread, and that's pretty much the same way I play through the map.

Maybe I take my Doom playing skills a little bit for granted... 😥

1 hour? That's a little bit of a yikes to me :P

When I designed that map, it definitely wasn't meant to take that long. I think at most for me, UV+ should take around 10 minutes.

I saw your mini MAP35 walkthrough you posted on your corner of silence thread, and that's pretty much the same way I play through the map.

Well. Most of them time was spent to figure out the right algoritm, rather then gameplay, I guess, so in that case perhaps time might be x2 or x3 time less when you know what to do.

MAP12 on Eternity seems broken... or am I missing something?

Spoiler

I'm playing on ITYTD. So, kill the pinkies, kill the Cyber, pick the SSG and up to the room with the a Mancubus and a HK. I take the teleporter where the Revenant was, telefrag an Arch and... get stuck in there, can't go out of the closet.

1 hour ago, s4f3s3x said:

MAP12 on Eternity seems broken... or am I missing something?

I've recorded a video of how you're supposed to progress thru MAP12 (on the Eternity Engine no less).

Sorry in advance for my sloppy playing.

Spoiler

Not sure what issue you are experiencing, because it worked correctly for me (using the latest dev build).

In the OP, I do mention that you must use the Eternity Dev Build, because the stable releases of Eternity do not work correctly.

Using a dev build in practice basically means I cannot guarantee the WAD will work correctly in all aspects with that port. It's a dev build after all. However the Eternity Engine stable build (over a year ago) also has issues, so I don't know what to say on that front.

6 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I've recorded a video of how you're supposed to progress thru MAP12 (on the Eternity Engine no less).

Sorry in advance for my sloppy playing.

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure what issue you are experiencing, because it worked correctly for me (using the latest dev build).

In the OP, I do mention that you must use the Eternity Dev Build, because the stable releases of Eternity do not work correctly.

Using a dev build in practice basically means I cannot guarantee the WAD will work correctly in all aspects with that port. It's a dev build after all. However the Eternity Engine stable build (over a year ago) also has issues, so I don't know what to say on that front.

Yeah, I'm playing on the latest EE Dev Build, but I've also tried in other ports and the problem remains. I think it's only a ITYTD issue though, because it doesn't seem to happen if I switch to HNTR and higher : )

On 11/26/2022 at 3:32 AM, s4f3s3x said:

Yeah, I'm playing on the latest EE Dev Build, but I've also tried in other ports and the problem remains. I think it's only a ITYTD issue though, because it doesn't seem to happen if I switch to HNTR and higher : )

Apparently I was super blind and didn't see you were playing on ITYTD. You are correct, the map was broken on ITYTD because of a Vanilla conveyor that we didn't test on that specific skill. Thanks for letting us know about it! I've fixed it now, so it should now work as intended :)

Download Now (Link also updated in the OP)

RC 1.2 Changelog:

Spoiler

- fixed MAP12 not working correctly on ITYTD.

- Added a "keep calm" texture when getting stuck temporarily in the teleport nooks in MAP12

- changed how the lift works in MAP09 so it works on ITYTD and ZDaemon (hopefully @Keyboard_Doomer)

- Added comp_floors to OPTIONS lump (fixes MAP35 on Eternity)

Edited by Arsinikk

MAP35 also broken on Eternity ( <:-( ) , with or without vanilla mode.

At the start, when pressing the switch to lower the column with the backpack and thus starting the wave, pressing the switch doesn't do anything - on HNTR. On HMP and UV the backpack "teleports" off the column and on the ground, while the lower area with the explosive barrels and the health bonuses rises to match the ground level, but the walls around you are still in place, so no wave even this time around.

Didn't try ITYTD on this one.