Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZOMILE

Weird Mandela affect

Does anyone remember any doom mandela effects? I remember there being some levels in doom that are not there anymore but that may just be bad memory or me playing the game at a young age and seeing other people play custom wads, but i remember some weapons being in some places where there are not supposed to be one, i also keep on searching for a secret in E1M2 that is not there as well. 

Some versions have differences. E1M1 of Doom, for example, differs depending on Version. There was a thread regarding that map a while back. Idk are there any regional differences though. 

I had one semi Mandela effect in mind but I lost it. 

I made a topic about this not long ago, talked about E1M1, E1M3 and E1M4 in my videos.

Turns out a lot of things have changed over time. And then there's also different ports with different versions of the game.

There was a thread about this a few months ago and someone had mentioned that they had remembered the cyberdemon room in MAP10 having this blue stary sky. In reality, it's just a dark blue texture that isn't a sky. I think a few people had responded saying that's what they remember being there too.

I had some of this because my very first experience with Ultimate Doom was through the xbox Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil ports. That had chaingunners and revenants in Ultimate Doom. Which, when I actually got into Classic Doom, confused me for a bit. Like Toxin Refinery's bridge, it made me literally go: "Wait, where's the chaingunner?"

1 hour ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Until recently, I swear that the Pinkies can be gibbed...

BROOOO I REMEMBER THAT

Pinky gibbing definetly something I remember, i think it may have been leaked alpha footage...or moreso... leaked after the game was released because someone was digging around in source code... but 99.99999999999% i'm wrong

This can be explained by a mix of mods, custom levels, differences between versions not only on the PC but console ports, and good old fashioned human memory being less than reliable.

8 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

Idk are there any regional differences though. 

Some of the Nazi imagery was censored in Doom 2 for German releases at different points. That's it.

30 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Some of the Nazi imagery was censored in Doom 2 for German releases at different points. That's it.

Yeah I had a hard time remembering was Doom 2 even released in Germany due to Wolf3D levels. 

7 hours ago, CFWMagic said:

I had some of this because my very first experience with Ultimate Doom was through the xbox Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil ports. That had chaingunners and revenants in Ultimate Doom. Which, when I actually got into Classic Doom, confused me for a bit. Like Toxin Refinery's bridge, it made me literally go: "Wait, where's the chaingunner?"

I'm pretty sure that you're still in Mandela mode. No Chaingunners or Revenants in the Xbox port of Ultimate DOOM.

8 hours ago, Spineapple tea said:

There was a thread about this a few months ago and someone had mentioned that they had remembered the cyberdemon room in MAP10 having this blue stary sky. In reality, it's just a dark blue texture that isn't a sky. I think a few people had responded saying that's what they remember being there too.

If you remember Doom having a high enough resolution to clearly make out floor and ceiling textures, especially in tall rooms where you can only see the ceiling from a distance (no looking up or down), that's the Mandela effect. Go ahead and play that map in the original 320x200 resolution, and you'll see that ceiling as nothing but an ugly aliased mess of blue and black pixels that could easily be mistaken for stars.

1 hour ago, AbeAwesome said:

I'm pretty sure that you're still in Mandela mode. No Chaingunners or Revenants in the Xbox port of Ultimate DOOM.

You're actually making me doubt myself. Good thing I still have my old xbox and doom 3 resurrection of evil. I'll boot it up and get back to you in a few hours.

EDIT: I should specify, the one I remember is the Doom 3: RoE version on xbox. Not the one for Doom 3 collector's edition, which might be different.

9 hours ago, CFWMagic said:

that aint in xbox, your thinking of doom on the playstation 1

5 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

I ... Never had a playstation. Ever. Nor ever played doom on it. Okay, now I REALLY need to boot up my xbox and take a picture of it. I'll do so in a couple of hours.

50 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

I ... Never had a playstation. Ever. Nor ever played doom on it. Okay, now I REALLY need to boot up my xbox and take a picture of it. I'll do so in a couple of hours.

They ain't there, boss.

1 hour ago, CFWMagic said:

My man, you just got a double mandela effect.

2 hours ago, The BMFG said:

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

They ain't there, boss.

1 hour ago, Herr Dethnout said:

My man, you just got a double mandela effect.

So, while doomworld was crashed, I went ahead and plugged up my old xbox and you are absolutely correct. I think I figured out why I do have the mandela effect though. There's both doom and doom 2 in the xbox Doom 3, and I think I confused Doom 2's Gantlet bridge-like area with Ultimate Doom's Toxin Refinery bridge-like area. And since I DID play PSX doom not so long ago, it only reinforced my mistaken belief.

@.@ Am I going senile? .... I wonder. This is creepy, but right on topic. Laser-guidedly so.

11 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

There's both doom and doom 2 in the xbox Doom 3, and I think I confused Doom 2's Gantlet bridge-like area with Ultimate Doom's Toxin Refinery bridge-like area. And since I DID play PSX doom not so long ago, it only reinforced my mistaken belief.

This would seem to explain your mistake quite nicely. 

Or... is that just what They (tm) want you to think?!

I remember when I was a kid the game called either Doom Final 1 or Doom Final 2 on a pirate compilation CD I had that was neither TNT nor Plutonia. It was a slaughterish megawad but quite different from modern slaughter. It had a certain funny blocky quality to it, geometry was pretty simple, but it had a lot of symmetry, verticality was there but there was only 2 levels of floors most of the time, monsters were placed in blocky groups. Everything was super quantized to grid, to the extent I've never seen anywhere else. Maybe it wasn't even a single megawad, maybe there were 2 parts of it. I definitely had TNT and Plutonia too, probably under different names. Not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me or was it some legit mid 90s shovel slaughter that somehow ended up on that pirate CD...

14 minutes ago, Arwel said:

I remember when I was a kid the game called either Doom Final 1 or Doom Final 2 on a pirate compilation CD I had that was neither TNT nor Plutonia. It was a slaughterish megawad but quite different from modern slaughter. It had a certain funny blocky quality to it, geometry was pretty simple, but it had a lot of symmetry, verticality was there but there was only 2 levels of floors most of the time, monsters were placed in blocky groups. Everything was super quantized to grid, to the extent I've never seen anywhere else. Maybe it wasn't even a single megawad, maybe there were 2 parts of it. I definitely had TNT and Plutonia too, probably under different names. Not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me or was it some legit mid 90s shovel slaughter that somehow ended up on that pirate CD...

Might've been something the pirates themselves slapped together to be honest. That was relatively popular in Russia in the 90s. In Moscow, we had vendor stalls which sold "game compilation" CDs which were basically poorly translated demos of western games. Just to give you an example of how low effort pirate work was at the time. They didn't even rip the full game. Just translate a demo and sell it.

2 minutes ago, CFWMagic said:

Might've been something the pirates themselves slapped together to be honest. That was relatively popular in Russia in the 90s. In Moscow, we had vendor stalls which sold "game compilation" CDs which were basically poorly translated demos of western games. Just to give you an example of how low effort pirate work was at the time. They didn't even rip the full game. Just translate a demo and sell it.

Yeah, this was one of those 160/200/etc-best-games compilation CDs bought in Kyiv in mid-late 90s.

I wouldn't consider translating or even mapping themselves as a low-effort activity for pirate work thought.

1 hour ago, Arwel said:

Yeah, this was one of those 160/200/etc-best-games compilation CDs bought in Kyiv in mid-late 90s.

I wouldn't consider translating or even mapping themselves as a low-effort activity for pirate work thought.

Huh. Maybe the ones in Kyiv did a better job then. The Russian pirates were abysmal at it. The translation was very frequently botched to the point where it has nothing to do with the original game's script at all (Even legal, corporate entities did this. 1C is famous for this for example), large chunks of the games wouldn't be translated at all, and every single character was voiced by one person. You know, the kind of nose-speaking guy translation which was popular back then? Yeah. Every character spoke like that.

3 hours ago, CFWMagic said:

Huh. Maybe the ones in Kyiv did a better job then. The Russian pirates were abysmal at it. The translation was very frequently botched to the point where it has nothing to do with the original game's script at all (Even legal, corporate entities did this. 1C is famous for this for example), large chunks of the games wouldn't be translated at all, and every single character was voiced by one person. You know, the kind of nose-speaking guy translation which was popular back then? Yeah. Every character spoke like that.

Not just pirates, translations in general in the early 90s were bad even from AAA companies like Capcom, I would assume the Original Japanese version of Resident Evil wasn't badly acted with occasionaly nonsensical dialogue.That said I have a soft spot for this kinda thing, adds charm.

i remember various encounters with a hell knight in the second chapter of doom 1, but that thing was added in doom 2, i think  my mind  distorted those memories

8 hours ago, CFWMagic said:

Yeah, I misunderstood your point a little bit. I agree that quality of such amateur translations was often weak (although I genuinely liked some of them even more than professional releases - for example Fallout), what I meant is that for pirates to do any extra work at all is already high effort comparing to just redistributing unmodified files. This is what I meant saying I'd consider pirates who also took functions of translators and content makers to be higher effort pirates.