Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZOMILE

Weird Mandela affect

1 hour ago, YANDOR04 said:

i remember various encounters with a hell knight in the second chapter of doom 1, but that thing was added in doom 2, i think  my mind  distorted those memories

Perhaps you're thinking of the Playstation version of Doom (or the PSX TC for the PC version), which does indeed have Doom 2 monsters - as well as textures - in Doom 1 levels.

6 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

Not just pirates, translations in general in the early 90s were bad even from AAA companies like Capcom, I would assume the Original Japanese version of Resident Evil wasn't badly acted with occasionaly nonsensical dialogue.That said I have a soft spot for this kinda thing, adds charm.

The Japanese version of Resident Evil is the same as the west since CAPCOM made a 1 dub. Actually Shinji Mikami hated said dub and thinks he was scammed because they said to him that they were good. The funniest part is that a lot of thoses VAs were also on Symphony of the Night (Who guess what? his translation was really fucked up), the voice of Chris is the same as Ritcher.

Fun Fact: A Japanese dub was planned for the first game, but scrapped due Mikami finding it "Unrealistic"

45 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

The Japanese version of Resident Evil is the same as the west since CAPCOM made a 1 dub. Actually Shinji Mikami hated said dub and thinks he was scammed because they said to him that they were good. The funniest part is that a lot of thoses VAs were also on Symphony of the Night (Who guess what? his translation was really fucked up), the voice of Chris is the same as Ritcher.

Fun Fact: A Japanese dub was planned for the first game, but scrapped due Mikami finding it "Unrealistic"

Interesting, I'd always assumed only the translation was bad like many other games around the same time. I suppose RE was set in the US and obviously referenced many western movies so English VO makes sense in the same way as using Japanese VO makes sense for the Yakuza games.

1 hour ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Perhaps you're thinking of the Playstation version of Doom (or the PSX TC for the PC version), which does indeed have Doom 2 monsters - as well as textures - in Doom 1 levels.

That was going to my suggestion as well. It's not only possible but probable.

10 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

Interesting, I'd always assumed only the translation was bad like many other games around the same time. I suppose RE was set in the US and obviously referenced many western movies so English VO makes sense in the same way using Japanese VO makes sense for the Yakuza games.

Yup, that is one of the rare cases where a japanese game is only in full english (though it has subtitles iirc), probably the original script was in japanese but was translated (something that have more or less sense because all the VAs where living in Japan at the time). The funniest part is the fact that the FMV Actor of Chris is actually an actor and probably the only one in the group of FMV and Voice actors that has some acting experience, yet his voice was dubbed. lol

I was certain the area with the nukage and cross-shaped bridges in E1M6 was open to the sky as well, but it’s entirely indoors! It’s hard to remember that details weren’t all that clear on the screen the first time around in 1993…

On 11/23/2022 at 4:38 AM, DavidN said:

I was certain the area with the nukage and cross-shaped bridges in E1M6 was open to the sky as well, but it’s entirely indoors! It’s hard to remember that details weren’t all that clear on the screen the first time around in 1993…

That area has always been outdoors for me. Always. I can't even get my head around it being indoors.

I still can't quite accept that the blue carpet in the first shot of E1M1 isn't water.

I think it's because I assumed it was the first time I played, and never looked at it properly for many years after.

I have a Mandela effect of Doom port for PS1 with Wolf3D Pistol sprite instead of Doom's. At this age I've come to conclusion that it was due to Eurodemo issue 1. Don't ask why because idk. 

55 minutes ago, Captain POLAND said:

It's effect, not affect. Sorry, every time I see this thread title it triggers my OCD.

"The Mandela affect" would be when you get emotional thinking about Mandela. :D

Strangely enough, I don't think I've ever had an actual Mandela effect in Doom, likely because the shareware version and the registered version of E1 have some small differences that would explain why I'm feeling like "doesn't look right."

No matter how many times I play it I will always think there is a secret BFG in E3M2.  And also I always expect to see a mancubus in MAP05 despite that they get a very conspicuous introduction two maps later.

E1M6 has that one area I always swore had sky, but going back, it's a weird lighting flat.

Screenshot_Doom_20221129_212444.png.03061173f19c320dc32160c4c9c8d080.png

Very uncomfortable viewing.

As a kid, and my brother corroborates this, he even asked me about it recently, I remember being able to kill yourself with the bfg at point blank. 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:25 AM, Magicana said:

E1M6 has that one area I always swore had sky, but going back, it's a weird lighting flat.

Screenshot_Doom_20221129_212444.png.03061173f19c320dc32160c4c9c8d080.png

Very uncomfortable viewing.

Every copy of doom is personalized lmfao

Growing up, I had a relative who was a computer hobbyist that collected computers and parts. He had this laptop that basically looked EXACTLY like this:

old.jpg.1bd4e243acba1a3280e5db8ceb85f94b.jpg

And playing Doom on this thing was a trip - because the sound was definitely NOT what we know today. It was that really old bit-crushed sound type that sounded more like Commander Keen than anything from a sound blaster card.

So I've been trying to find a way to replicate that sound experience on modern doom but its been kind of a goose chase.

Does anyone remember the real low-end sound Doom had?

Those were I suppose the PC speaker sound effects. Some source ports allow to emulate them (and play them through a regular sound card), and you can also listen to them in SLADE, just open DOOM.WAD, and filter the lump by "DP*" to get all the PC speaker sounds.

I genuinely thought that MAP19 of TNT had a giant cylindrical shawn lift in the centre of the map with the strange oversized beige wooden door texture found in TNT as trimming that looked really bad with a Pain Elemental.

I just played TNT again and I was wrong, it does not, the only thing close is a circular room on MAP20 that had the door texture on the outside and the room actually looks really good, you also fight a Revenant.