Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technicolor

Can you kill Cyberdemons with 2 shots of BFG without getting any damage??

Can you kill Cyberdemons with 2 shots of BFG without getting any damage?

I can't do that. Not even in map 32 of Doom 2. It is easy to do the first shot in map 32 since the Cyber does not fire rockets right away when you see it but second shot requires getting damage. I got damaged with the second shot in map 32 (I don't die at least). And map 32 is easier for that since the first shot is easy as Cyber is late to fire rockets.

I wonder how many people can do it on Doomworld. I think you gotta be professional in the game to do it.

You need to do a certain wiggle movement, and time your BFG tracers at full force while close to the Cyberdemon.

Usually you fire your BFG around the second shot of the Cyber, and don't turn your angle if you're not familiar how the BFG works. It should be very easy to do if you got into the pace.

Also, if you knew how the BFG works, then now you have more freedom to move around (even turning a bit) to get into position when the BFG ball hits something and you emit the tracer.

Well, read my edited post. I thought you are asking how you can do it, well, maybe a misreading from your post.

Number can be represent by base number or percentage.

I don't know about the percentage, but base number should be really high because it's not that difficult of a skill is. Whether you're reliable of doing it is another story. Basically each speedrunner can do this easily, and there are at least hundreds of speedrunners.

Shameless plug of my own videos:

These are with fast monsters enabled but the idea's the same as with normal monsters, you just don't need to wait for the cyberdemon to shoot at you.

10 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

Yeah I can do it no problem. Just let him infight until he's under 1000HP and 2 shotting is easy.

I am not talking about this. I am talking about shooing and pushing.

once you practice is not too hard. in regular runs you can always wait him to infight and blast his back without dangers

like before somebody wrote, around his second rocket fired you should be starting your bfg hit, just dodge his third rocket and run forward him, the high damage will most likely push him away, and pain chance him which means it gives you enough time to withdraw and start again the process.

I can do it without damage maybe half or 1/3 times or so, I'm not that consistent and I usually play safer rather than go for this. Depending on the terrain it can be impossible to avoid splash damage if the cyber has too much high ground or there are nearby walls or monsters that get hit by rockets. It isn't that difficult if you know how it's done, but eating a rocket is a harsh penalty when you can freely land 4-5 SSG shots or a third BFG and make it a lot safer. I might go for it if there is a perfect open arena and minimal distractions around but frankly infighting will often save a lot more ammo with minimal risk at the expense of some patience.

IMO it's an overrated skill outside of certain difficult maps or speedrunning. However it can definitely be mastered through practice if you want to show off. It is pretty satisfying but there are better things in the game to pull off.

It takes time and practice (and then a bit of luck anyway) but yes, it's possible. Not taking damage is kinda the point.

I don't understand what you mean by saying it "requires damage." The second shot is no different from the first, just dodge the rockets and shoot at the Cyberdemon until it dies.

With the right skills & patience you can kill a cyberdemon with your fists without taking damage. Just learn to time & dodge the rockets and stay away from adjacent walls to avoid splash damage

A Cyberdemon has 4,000 hitpoints and a direct BFG shot can knock off as many as roughly 3,700 hitpoints. But usually it is around 2,500 to 3,000.

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

I don't understand what you mean by saying it "requires damage." The second shot is no different from the first, just dodge the rockets and shoot at the Cyberdemon until it dies.

I get Cyber's rocket.

First shot in Doom 2's map 32 is different because Cyber doesn't start shooting right away after the door is opened.

2 minutes ago, Technicolor said:

I get Cyber's rocket.

First shot in Doom 2's map 32 is different because Cyber doesn't start shooting right away after the door is opened.

You know you can dodge, right? Don't run up to the cyberdemon until the ball hits him.

I can get killed by a cyberdemon without them taking any damage, does that count?

39 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

You know you can dodge, right? Don't run up to the cyberdemon until the ball hits him.

I take it you can. That is beyond my skill.

Edited by Technicolor

I can, but I'd say I have about 75-80% success rate in "real life" situatios. When a Cyber lives through 2 shots, I usually finish him off with a Plasma burst or SSG.

I defintley go for it when I have an opportunity and space. And it depends on the mood if I'm playing it safe after a long run or just in the mood to melt 

It's very easy once you understand how the BFG works: as soon as you fire, thousands of tracers are emitted from your body. These tracers require good eyesight to see because they are very small. These tracers then go backwards into your own body before being emitted again. While they are being emitted the first time, run behind the cyberdemon and pull the trigger. You will lure the tracers through the front of the cyberdemon and back into your own body. While that is happening, fire another BFG ball behind you and quickly spin around so the tracers will constantly bounce between you and the cyberdemon. It's easy, I'm not sure what you're confused about. 

Learning how the BFG works really helps you with doing that, since it’s all about facing where the tracers are.

Ideally you want to shoot when the cyberdemon is firing rockets, because that way you can get as close to it as possible (so that majority of the tracers hit). Make sure to dodge the rockets, you can do that in a snake pattern (and don’t forget about splash damage).