Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CatWithAComputer

Gimme inspiration for a doom2 1 level wad!

The best way to get inspiration is to play a lot of WADs. Borrow some of their neatest tricks. Don't copy the exact layouts/texturing, but the tricks are fair game.

What type of map would a cat with access to a computer make if they were trying to torment a human? Take cues from cat thinking and cat culture. Use plenty of CRATINY boxes so the cats have places to sit. 

I was taking a biology class recently and I came up with the idea to make a map based on the inside of a human cell. You would start at the cell membrane on the edge and fight your way to the nucleus where the exit is. I lack the skills to make it though. But there could be areas based on the cytoskeleton, golgi apparatus, endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, etc.

Spoiler

cell.jpg

1 minute ago, Captain POLAND said:

I was taking a biology class recently and I came up with the idea to make a map based on the inside of a human cell. You would start at the cell membrane on the edge and fight your way to the nucleus where the exit is. I lack the skills to make it though. But there could be areas based on the cytoskeleton, golgi apparatus, endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, etc.

Hide contents

cell.jpg

Imagine making a 9 level doom1 wad and that image being the intermission screen.

3 minutes ago, Captain POLAND said:

Hide contents

cell.jpg

Im definitely making a map about this, but i cant decide if it would be a udmf or a boom format map.

Sometimes, I find it helpful just to open DoomBuilder and just… begin. Then the ideas/Inspo will come. I’m not saying that for every map - obviously many come from planning etc, but there’s a lot to be said from a blank canvas. Start with an empty room, then just keep building without a clear plan and see where you end up - often inspo will hit you when in 3d mode in DB! In my experience anyway! 

6 minutes ago, staros96 said:

Sometimes, I find it helpful just to open DoomBuilder and just… begin. Then the ideas/Inspo will come.

This.

Also, when I do a different activity like walking the dog for example, ideas just pop-up in my head. But that can be different for everyone. Anyways, I always make sure to write them down.

30 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

What type of map would a cat with access to a computer make if they were trying to torment a human? Take cues from cat thinking and cat culture. Use plenty of CRATINY boxes so the cats have places to sit. 

I tought it said places to shit

NOTE -[Requires Plutonia.wad to play]

Idk if you want to use UDMF for a doom 2 single level idea but here's a 1 1/4 made doom 2 plutonia wad i did many moons ago. It's still being worked on but i have it on the back burner for now.

I do also have a shovel ware style wad as well if your looking for more in the realm of dumb jokey wads, it's called Scavenger's dumb 90's wads. Hope this helps and gives you inspiration for a single Doom 2 map.

Sometimes just talk with fellow doomers to get inspiration i do that when i talk to them in discord or when i do my mapping streams find a good group and and have a brain session 

Listen to some music to get inspiration.

Get away from the computer, crack open a notebook and start writing down all your ideas, no matter how dumb, until something finally clicks.

38 minutes ago, Nightmare2989 said:

Sometimes just talk with fellow doomers to get inspiration i do that when i talk to them in discord or when i do my mapping streams find a good group and and have a brain session 

Actually I got in a couple hours of mapping today on a project I hadn't touched for months, even though it was mainly reworking 2 maps and not making new content. So maybe there's something to this.

On topic, i think episode 2 theme is that you should go for, if not, episode 1. try not to make too many puzzles or too many enemies fuck you e3m6  and try to make it more on the simplistic side like doom ep 1. romeros style was my favorite try to go like him

Well, here is a bunch of basic layouts I've been using for my map creation ever since I started mapping. Free to use for anyone. (All are 5-20 minute speed layouts, published today after I finally compiled them together, thread: Click). 

Also, check out these threads:

Trouble getting ideas for maps - Doom Editing - Doomworld

Help on creative inspiration - Doom Editing - Doomworld

More ideas:

Easy ideas (in MY opinion, your experience may be different):

Wooden and brick houses

Some form of medieval brick buildings

Marble buildings

Techbases

Refineries

Warehouses

Fantasy Military bases

Bunkers

Complex ideas (in MY opinion, you experience may be different):

Corrupted Techbase

Hell base

Abstract levels

City Levels

Outdoor maps centered around lakes and rivers.

Military bases

Multistory buildings

Verticality levels

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

Make a joke wad, people love those. Here are some titles:

"How I Met Your Mother (And Why You Never Met Your Father)"

"Simp's Son DOOM"

"The Gang Gets DOOMED"

"MYCRACKHOUSE.wad"

"OJ vs The People vs Demons"

"DBP 69"

"Brutal HDOOM"

"Sean Connery's Wrench Smells Funny"

"Ron DeSantis vs Aliens"

"Mordeth 2"

"Kama Sutra 2: DP"

I've thought about making something that represents the complete demonic chaos of the abyss. Things like twisted, unfinished buildings, messed up combinations of architecture, lava rivers, tough creatures guarding their hoarded goods (like soul spheres), fighting pits, zombies and imps crammed into small spaces. Might be hard to make it fun and relatively easy to navigate, but I like the concept.