Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IcarusOfDaggers

I've been searching for... Castle/Citadel themed levels... what have I missed?

Hey guys, i've been searching around for castle and citadel levels, but so far I've seem to have missed quite a bit of them. Since I'm quite weak at doom (Doom II completed on HMP, Plutonia and TNT being played at the moment), I would like to ask for any suggestions on Citadel and Castle themed wads.

Thank you!

ZeMystic's Vicarious is set in a walled city and it was honestly the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this topic. It nails that grimy, Quake-style medieval aesthetic real well.

And antares031's gorgeous Harvester's Reminiscence is straight up one of my fave maps of all time (map03 of Antaresian Reliquary) - a huge, sprawling manor with threats tucked into every possible nook and cranny, plus a few blistering set pieces. The way the architecture jukes and jives and shoots off at all angles without ever getting too abstract? Makes this place feel alive.

Speaking of abstract... I don't really know how to categorise Viggles' ever-so elegant Brigandine. It's like an enormous, elaborate bird torture cage constructed of metal, wood and stone, and it definitely feels like you're invading a fortress, but it doesn't look like any citadel or castle from this reality.

Sorry if none of these are exactly to the point. When some folks say they want castle maps, they might want a 1:1 recreation with a bunch of realistic individual rooms; others might get by on "anything not techbase/hell". I guess I tend more towards the latter. Best of luck in your search, and check out yakfak's thread from earlier in the year for more ideas:

Very surprised no-one has mentioned Espi's MAP27: The Shrine from Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblivion.

Pretty much all of Hell-Forged if you'll accept a GZDoom partial conversion.

Also GZDoom, I'd recommend Verdant Citadel.

1 minute ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Very surprised no-one has mentioned Espi's MAP27: The Shrine from Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblivion.

I was about to!

Plenty of citadels, castles and palaces in Eternal Doom, and a few remakes of those in Eternal Doom IV.

(It's also a very common theme for Heretic and Hexen maps.)

Also a very partial and incomplete list can be found on the Doom Wiki

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Castle_map

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Castle_levels