Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snaxalotl

ABSCISSION - Dark, Atmospheric Doom II Megawad [32 Vanilla Maps] Now On IdGames!

Nice mapset very vanilla-isch. love it! But a Megawad sould also be playable coop IMHO. Could you add playerstarts and also avoid coop traps in your maps please?

1 hour ago, saski said:

Nice mapset very vanilla-isch. love it! But a Megawad sould also be playable coop IMHO. Could you add playerstarts and also avoid coop traps in your maps please?

I planned on adding coop and deathmatch later on once more maps were complete but since its already a request I have updated the wad with coop support.

A very well done remake of the first seven maps of Doom II. I was having fun until map six happen D: . The maps itself are a little navigation confusing, maybe thats me but I often don't know intuitively where to go next. Too many closed doors.

There are some missing textures in map six, check that.

No pressure but these are some solid maps and this is a very tantalizing way to start the WAD. There is some fantastic gameplay construction in this set of maps so far, and the atmosphere really elevates this into its own thing. I did come across quite a few unpegged textures and possible straggling remnant textures of flood filling/blocking out portions of the construction, so there are definitely a few things to tidy up on most of the maps so far. Resource distribution felt pretty spot on for the type of gameplay this is going for, although some folks will definitely complain about the famine of ammo on UV. Map 6 was actually pretty tough and provided a lot of good tension. This has got the beginnings of something awesome.

A great start both visually and in terms of gameplay! The brooding, ambient soundtrack and the simple, but effective lighting makes it a much moodier, atmospheric experience compared to the original levels. It's also deadlier than the originals, primarily by putting a bigger demand on the player to split their focus in order to avoid damage. Sometimes this means enemies at multiple angles, sometimes just keeping track of where one's feet are~ I look forward to seeing more!

On 11/22/2022 at 6:46 PM, LVENdead said:

No pressure but these are some solid maps and this is a very tantalizing way to start the WAD. There is some fantastic gameplay construction in this set of maps so far, and the atmosphere really elevates this into its own thing. I did come across quite a few unpegged textures and possible straggling remnant textures of flood filling/blocking out portions of the construction, so there are definitely a few things to tidy up on most of the maps so far. Resource distribution felt pretty spot on for the type of gameplay this is going for, although some folks will definitely complain about the famine of ammo on UV. Map 6 was actually pretty tough and provided a lot of good tension. This has got the beginnings of something awesome.

I always appreciated when minor mistakes are pointed out, your playthrough wad tremendously helpful and as a result many minor cosmetic fixes have been made. Thanks again :>

On 11/23/2022 at 1:07 AM, Captain Keen said:

Also Snax you changed your avatar image, it’s no longer animated. Does Wilster know??

Wister always knows when my profile pic changes, he keeps a watchful eye

On 11/23/2022 at 1:40 AM, thelamp said:

A great start both visually and in terms of gameplay! The brooding, ambient soundtrack and the simple, but effective lighting makes it a much moodier, atmospheric experience compared to the original levels. It's also deadlier than the originals, primarily by putting a bigger demand on the player to split their focus in order to avoid damage. Sometimes this means enemies at multiple angles, sometimes just keeping track of where one's feet are~ I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for the high praise! There are more maps to be released very soon :>

Just found out about this WIP vanilla WAD and had a go at it. Great reimagining of the original Hell on Earth, Snaxalotl! The aesthetics are simple, old-school, with some great custom skies, and the gameplay is always a little tougher than regular Doom II, but with a few tricks in store for the unprepared.
Anyway, it's looking pretty promising, and I'll have to try out Stickney Installation as well.

I also recorded a demo for each map on Choco 3.0.0, with the -strictdemos command, so you should be able to see them in vanilla as well: Abscission_demos.7z.

They all end with 100% kills, except map06, which ended in death as I was having a really hard time seeing in that particular level. Hope they're useful.

Had a great time playing these on stream last time!  The Crusher really stood out to me as a pretty awesome re-imagining, with cool lighting and the level opening up around you.  Looks to be continuing what was so great about Stickney - strong inspiration from the original levels but moodier, harder and making areas that sucked in the original better.  Look forward to more!

Started playing this and was really enjoying it.   I did get stuck in the secret holding the backpack on Level 3 (needs a way out or just have it lower only).   Great pace and lighting; and I'm loving the re-imagining going on here.  Will end up finishing this over the weekend and look forward to seeing more.

Always nice to see your stuff! Fun little mapset with some neat callbacks to the original Doom 2's levels. Looking forward to see where you go with this.

This is some cool stuff. I really like the dismal, gloomy atmosphere and the maps have the IWAD style down to a T, feeling familiar but also new thanks to the darker atmosphere.

I actually recorded a demo (in Chocolate Doom), I've never done it before but this WAD seemed a good candidate. It'll get up to some point in MAP03 before crashing, I must have hit the vanilla demo limit there:

abscission.lmp

The soundtrack is quite unnerving sounding in OPL - I think not everyone likes OPL compared to MIDI, but I felt like it enhanced things. I did get a bit lost in MAP02 for a moment but that was more me forgetting where the red bars were - the layouts and pacing are spot on, kind of stuff I wish I could do. You make it look easy!

17 hours ago, joepallai said:

Started playing this and was really enjoying it.   I did get stuck in the secret holding the backpack on Level 3 (needs a way out or just have it lower only).   Great pace and lighting; and I'm loving the re-imagining going on here.  Will end up finishing this over the weekend and look forward to seeing more.

Which sourceport and compatibility level did you play in? The sector with the backpack is less than 56 units tall so its supposed to return to the floor after the players head bumps the ceiling, and it functions correctly whenever I test it.

8 hours ago, Somniac said:

This is some cool stuff. I really like the dismal, gloomy atmosphere and the maps have the IWAD style down to a T, feeling familiar but also new thanks to the darker atmosphere.

I actually recorded a demo (in Chocolate Doom), I've never done it before but this WAD seemed a good candidate. It'll get up to some point in MAP03 before crashing, I must have hit the vanilla demo limit there:

abscission.lmp

The soundtrack is quite unnerving sounding in OPL - I think not everyone likes OPL compared to MIDI, but I felt like it enhanced things. I did get a bit lost in MAP02 for a moment but that was more me forgetting where the red bars were - the layouts and pacing are spot on, kind of stuff I wish I could do. You make it look easy!

I'm glad my midis still hold up in OPL, I was worried the dark droning/ambient tracks would be a little lost in translation due to the limitations.

13 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

Which sourceport and compatibility level did you play in? The sector with the backpack is less than 56 units tall so its supposed to return to the floor after the players head bumps the ceiling, and it functions correctly whenever I test it.

Chocolate Doom using the default settings through GZDB 

More dark moody maps! Really liked the architecture of map10, tho I kinda made things hard on myself by trying to kill the cyber with the ssg in a situation where it is very much not a good idea to do that.