Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeeWen

Greenian (free conversion to Herian2 by BeeWen)

13 hours ago, Firedust said:

So is this the original Herian megawad reworked?

Yes, Herian2.

Congrats on getting this released! This is a truly impressive project and a good love letter to the original Herian II, definitely worth trying for fans of the original and new players alike.

Thank you for the good reviews, I tried to do as well as possible for a good game. Some textures had to be completed manually so that they were better tied to the outside. The same goes for the sounds of some monsters.
The levels themselves now have a more player-friendly geometry and a more detailed design in accordance with today's mapping standards.

Kind of a mixed reception on my part. I love Herian 2 as one of my favorite wacky wads of the first 10 years of Doom. I'm not knocking this by stretch. It runs clean and looks great too. I'll sit down and give it a whirl to see what changes were made.

9 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Google Drive link doesn't work.

Strange, I've checked this link now, it works fine. Warns only that the file is large and preview is not allowed.

11 hours ago, kalensar said:

Kind of a mixed reception on my part. I love Herian 2 as one of my favorite wacky wads of the first 10 years of Doom. I'm not knocking this by stretch. It runs clean and looks great too. I'll sit down and give it a whirl to see what changes were made.

A useful thing, in comparison, the result of the work will be visible. The original WAD itself is closer to the Heretic in the setting, which is indicated by its name. This one also has a little charm from the "Shadow Man".

image.png.7bcca20515ec9d21e16bd62f86071c87.png

This is what causes it not to work, you likely are not seeing this message as you're the uploader.

Added another link to Google, from a different profile. Will it work, please unsubscribe. Otherwise, it is quite possible that network providers block access.

1 hour ago, BeeWen said:

Added another link to Google, from a different profile. Will it work, please unsubscribe. Otherwise, it is quite possible that network providers block access.

Thats not how that works at all.

Go to your file on Drive and right click it and click Get Link. Then change the access from Restricted to "Anyone with the Link"

13 hours ago, kalensar said:

Thats not how that works at all.

Go to your file on Drive and right click it and click Get Link. Then change the access from Restricted to "Anyone with the Link"

This was made mandatory for public access to the link. But something doesn't really help.

dw1.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 8:04 PM, Rex705 said:

These are really cool looking maps.

Good video, thanks. Are you planning further? The first map here has a continuation in the fifth.

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The file at the Yandex link is larger than the one at the Google link. The Herian2 wads in each pk3 are different sizes.

It is more useful to upload a file to Yandex, it may be slightly updated.

Herian 2 was my first ZDoom wad and introduced me to a whole new world of Doom experiences, so this is a neat thing to see. Played a bit and it definetly has a ton of ambience and foreboding.

Would be interesting to see the first Herian retooled too, that one was MUCH rougher.

Holy hell, this is one of the most frustratingly confusing mapsets I've ever played, and I love it.  I can't stop.  It's been a week of play and I'm only about halfway through it.  

Is the fall-damage really necessary? Especially on map16, where there is a part that requires falling from very high (Therefore taking a mandatory massive fall-damage)?

10 hours ago, unraveler said:

Is the fall-damage really necessary? Especially on map16, where there is a part that requires falling from very high (Therefore taking a mandatory massive fall-damage)?

In map 16, the player gains experience by compensating for the damage from this fall with a "berserker" located there. This experience will come in handy in the 28th map, where falling into the canyon will already be deadly. And therefore it will be necessary to find relatively safe ways.

11 hours ago, Vivveneli said:

Holy hell, this is one of the most frustratingly confusing mapsets I've ever played, and I love it.  I can't stop.  It's been a week of play and I'm only about halfway through it.  

Are the maps really that confusing? Nonlinear yes, but all paths have logic and there are no extra places. This is a distinctive feature of all my maps, a carefully verified design. I wish you not to be disappointed and go through this game to the end, I tried to make it interesting.

1 hour ago, BeeWen said:

Are the maps really that confusing? Nonlinear yes, but all paths have logic and there are no extra places. This is a distinctive feature of all my maps, a carefully verified design. I wish you not to be disappointed and go through this game to the end, I tried to make it interesting.

Don't get me wrong BeeWen.  I'm very much enjoying your carefully placed sadism.  But you have to already know that the logic isn't perfectly clear what doors or mechanisms are being released after a lot of these switches.  You didn't make it easy by a wide margin.  I love it!  It's brain taxing beyond the point of Hexen and Strife put together.  Keep up the awesome work!  I just finished The Fiery City, and it only took 59:57 to do it!

Started my playthrough of this and the atmosphere is out of this world. Will edit this post if I run into any bugs.

In map 2, you might want to consider putting monster block lines around the teleporter by the exit. I had two cacos teleport away to the starting area by accident.

Also, my pistol and shotgun are different from the person who posted the video in this thread. Did they use an extra mod?

Wow, these maps are very impressive. Immersion is off the charts.

EDIT: not going to lie, but I found the Herian inscription arched over the path to the exit teleporter a bit goofy in Map 8 :p

Map 10: Sector 73, the bottom section. There's a deaf zombieman who can't see or hear you.

Also, the stairs leading to two teleporters (one to computer area map with cyb and other with shotgunners and switch to lower the exit) are broken - they will raise each time you press the switch and if you press it too many times, you'll be softlocked. You might want to make the switch one-time action.

Map 20: sector 194, deaf cultist.

Map 26: sector 831 cacos seems to be unable to rise out of water, no idea why. When they approach the ship, they stay down, and this makes 100% kills impossible.

Edited by Firedust

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

Also, my pistol and shotgun are different from the person who posted the video in this thread. Did they use an extra mod?

Yes, he used some kind of weapon modification of his own, it seems from Doom 64. In addition, his mod has the wrong color dynamic lighting of objects in Greenian , but this does not bother him at all.
I have a weapon supplied specifically for this project, I had to draw some sprites myself.

Have a pleasant adventure in this world!

Heya! Just wanted to say I am finally done with my playthrough and got no more bugs to report! Thank you for releasing this wonderful partial conversion. Difficulty-wise it's the same as Doom 2 and the visual storytelling and exploration elements are as good as they come in any Doom wad. Fans of Eternal Doom (minus the obscure progression) and Epic 2 will find a lot to love and enjoy here!

Fall of Triton remake next!

Having finished Greenian, I can say this is a solid homage to Herian 2. Having acquired experience of your previous wads like Voyager I did find some similarities in traps and even some of the textures.

The Shadowman 2 music worked well.

I enjoyed mostly the maps with realistic settings, such as the docks and more open town squares. 

I hope to see more projects in the future from you BeeWen

~Bengaltiger1