Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jpsplat

I believe I have created the largest and densest maze possible in Doom

2 hours ago, sandwedge said:

dear lord kan3 why lol.  I will say for a maze it at least looks like there's some stuff going on in there that was actually designed by a human being so you're winner in my book

didn I plauy this

I swear some people are as much fun as a bag of coal on Christmas day. You get a new Sunder map, and all you can do is complain and ask for reasons. It just is. 

Anyway, I nuked the monsters and tried and test the old trick that, if you keep to the left wall at any given time, eventually you'll reach the exit of any given labyrinth. Got this far before I accidentally mouse turned and lost all bearings. Can confirm that @Benjogami's fix works just fine on DSDA.

image.png

4 hours ago, jpsplat said:

Hi everybody, this is my first post on Doomworld ever so please forgive me if I'm breaking rules or formatting things poorly. Anyway, I believe I have created the largest and densest maze possible in a modern doom source port such as Gzdoom. I don't know if that's absolutely correct, regardless I am pretty sure its the largest one thus far. The whole maze is full of monsters, and you need to find 3 keys to exit which are randomly placed in the maze. This was made with a combination of the utility 
https://keesiemeijer.github.io/maze-generator/
 and great tool PNG2WAD which can be found here https://github.com/akaAgar/png2wad

Anyway the whole maze pretty much looks the same, I wanted different parts to be different colors but making big selections caused my computer to chug and I'm not really a modder anyway so feel free to make any modifications yourself.

Here it is! Have fun.

Also while I'm here, thanks doom modding community for providing me with nearly 20 years of entertainment, some of yall are dang creative!

My two cents: I'm all for mazy maps and non-linear progression, it's my jam....but this....looks pointless. Supriseless. Boring, and a waste of your good time. Sorry to sound Gatekeeper-ish but what you made just looks lazy and I'm sure you could make something inspiring if you really tried. C'mon, please try. I get the novelty of making a "hedge maze" for Doom but FFS who wants to be playing this after 20 mins? Most mappers could make a map like this in under 60mins. 

If you wanna impress people around here, please make something fun and interesting with great GAMEPLAY. Putting a small 'hedge maze' in a fun map would be way cooler.

Well that's my opinion. I think I got triggered after seeing yet another "hey everyone I speed - made a bunch of uninspired useless lazy junk for everyone".wad    There's been a lot of those this year :(

30 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

Here's my UV max playthrough, pretty cool map.

This is something I had always wanted to see in Doom ever since i found out you can make your own levels.

7 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

I swear some people are as much fun as a bag of coal on Christmas day. You get a new Sunder map, and all you can do is complain and ask for reasons. It just is. 

Anyway, I nuked the monsters and tried and test the old trick that, if you keep to the left wall at any given time, eventually you'll reach the exit of any given labyrinth. Got this far before I accidentally mouse turned and lost all bearings. Can confirm that @Benjogami's fix works just fine on DSDA.

image.png

oh man its an alien do u see it

image.png

4 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

This is something I had always wanted to see in Doom ever since i found out you can make your own levels.

i like the one with the pipes and sometimes a kettle appeared

I usually try to always finish a map when I post a gameplay video... but I believe I would have ran out of storage space on my HD... or get bored.... so I simply put this thing on Nightmare to see how long I would last! And I'm not even gonna try to use this Project Brutality!

This thread reminds me that I was fascinated by maze generation as a kid.  And my memory led me back to a program called Daedalus, a maze generation program for Windows.  Amazingly (pun halfway intended), it's still being updated.  And it has looooooads of options, including the ability to walk through the maze in 3D.

image.png.647be8778392a9e1459235ccb3b12eb3.png

So if you're looking for a way to create mazes for Doom, take a look at this program.

"Bugger this, I'm out." - Theseus seeing this map.

Terrible joke for the mythology nerds.

6 hours ago, Shepardus said:

This is what I imagine playing Wolfenstein 3D is like.

And is 100% accurate...

9 hours ago, esselfortium said:

But why?

"Science isn't about WHY. It's about WHY NOT. Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you on the butt on the way out, because you are fired."

- Cave Johnson, 1958

Dear God, this takes me back to my first time playing literally any shooter out there.

I couldn't even open this in a map editor without the editor crashing. Was this done using some auto map maker or something

Maybe author can optimize it a bit? I mean... Kinda divide entire maze on various sectors, so it can be less laggy.
Also, enemies can be with "Deaf" flag, so they all not gonna alert right from the start (so it also can save some FPS).

P.S.: Nevermind. Just get brand new "Helion C#" source-port. It handles this maze very smooth and nicely:

Good job on it, @hobomaster22!

Edited by RastaManGames

10 hours ago, sandwedge said:

dear lord kan3 why lol.  I will say for a maze it at least looks like there's some stuff going on in there that was actually designed by a human being so you're winner in my book

Cause I kinda love mazes x) (don't be too scared, though, this thing is not public anymore ahahah). Yay! Take this maze makers ai!

9 hours ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Errrm...how the fuck your UDB didn't crash @Kan3?

It wasn't that big, only 6k x 6k with ~700 things in total, so not even comparable to the one in here x)

7 hours ago, AlexMax said:

This thread reminds me that I was fascinated by maze generation as a kid.  And my memory led me back to a program called Daedalus, a maze generation program for Windows.  Amazingly (pun halfway intended), it's still being updated.  And it has looooooads of options, including the ability to walk through the maze in 3D.

image.png.647be8778392a9e1459235ccb3b12eb3.png

So if you're looking for a way to create mazes for Doom, take a look at this program.

This tool can be really handy when making some mazes in my wads, thanks :P

53 minutes ago, Test Tickle said:

If i scan this QR code where will it take me?

The 10th level of Hell. So I would advise against scanning it.

1. I think the effective size limit in both Zee and Real doom is based on the distance between any vertexes in the map, so the largest possible map would be a circle with the diameter of "vertex distance that crashes the map" minus one. Circles are trickier to make mazes in though I guess.

2. There's a bunch of mathematical principles you can look into if you want to make the maze harder to solve (including impossible to solve with the left hand trick). In theory the largest and densest map ever would use stuff like this presumably?

No irony, I like maps like this, this is cool, ignore several above people.