Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jpsplat

I believe I have created the largest and densest maze possible in Doom

On 11/22/2022 at 3:42 PM, Herr Dethnout said:

Well, technically you didn't create it, just used a maze generator an converted the generated image into a wad with another program. So that title remains to The Given.

Anyway, this map doesn't look more like than a simple curiosity :P

at least there isn't an archvile at every corner *plutonia intensifies*

25 minutes ago, Trar said:

I don't get it, this is just a level from Wolf 3D?

i think they used a maze generator and put it into a .WAD with another program (as Herr Dethnout said).

Speaking of Wolf 3d, I still remember the time I hooked up my programmable graphing calculator with a black and white Wolf 3d game. Some kid tried to buy my calculator off of me lol. Good times

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

The fact people are actively participating in playing and talking about this means it got further than most low effort maps.

You are right. Although it's not my idea of fun to play something like this, obviously many people are playing and enjoying this kind of map so who am I to say it's not fun for everyone. Fair enough. 

14 minutes ago, HalfLife9000 said:

i think they used a maze generator and put it into a .WAD with another program (as Herr Dethnout said).

Speaking of Wolf 3d, I still remember the time I hooked up my programmable graphing calculator with a black and white Wolf 3d game. Some kid tried to buy my calculator off of me lol. Good times

I could make a mean joke about the development of Wolfenstein 3D but I won't. It was good for 1992.

2 minutes ago, Trar said:

I could make a mean joke about the development of Wolfenstein 3D but I won't. It was good for 1992.

i honestly want to hear it, but it was good for 1992

7 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

You are right. Although it's not my idea of fun to play something like this, obviously many people are playing and enjoying this kind of map so who am I to say it's not fun for everyone. Fair enough. 

i mean it got further that lots of low effort maps, maybe around 98%. I feel like I'm not exaggerating.

18 minutes ago, TheShep said:

give it a few minutes, and you can see the unfinished progress for yourself

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1662750746

4 hours that is crazy!
Im a little jealous! This looks like a fun map but My computer cant handle it.

Its cool to see the progress others have made with the discovered areas based on the map.
All the conversation around this really makes me want to play some maze maps.

9 hours ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

4 hours that is crazy!
Im a little jealous! This looks like a fun map but My computer cant handle it.

Its cool to see the progress others have made with the discovered areas based on the map.
All the conversation around this really makes me want to play some maze maps.

The map shouldn't pose a problem as long as you're using something other than GZDoom. It's large but you only see a little at a time. Using Woof! I get over 300 FPS on my ten-year-old laptop.

12 hours ago, Trar said:

I don't get it, this is just a level from Wolf 3D?

Nah. Wolf3D levels were more mazelike and harder to navigate, iirc. o_0

11 hours ago, TheShep said:

give it a few minutes, and you can see the unfinished progress for yourself

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1662750746

Well done. I watched some of the stream, and you were doing a lot of the same things I was doing. Being grateful for dead ends, because that is one less way for possible progression, and double checking dead ends. haha I did that a lot.

17 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

The map shouldn't pose a problem as long as you're using something other than GZDoom. It's large but you only see a little at a time. Using Woof! I get over 300 FPS on my ten-year-old laptop.

GZDoom works fine for me, and I have a mid range gaming PC. Decent but not a beast. Why is GZDoom worse for these things?

27 minutes ago, Kyka said:

GZDoom works fine for me, and I have a mid range gaming PC. Decent but not a beast. Why is GZDoom worse for these things?

GZDoom tends to struggle in maps with lots of monsters due to more complex actor logic. Still runs alright on my computer, but if you have an ancient or otherwise very slow computer it could be a problem.

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

GZDoom tends to struggle in maps with lots of monsters due to more complex actor logic. Still runs alright on my computer, but if you have an ancient or otherwise very slow computer it could be a problem.

I see. So all the extra features in GZDoom imposes a sort of processing 'tax' over and above the basic functionality that Doom has? I see. Thank you.

2 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

There is always alternatives of GZDoom while trying to beat this maze: LZDoom & Helion C#. Both of them works just fine.

I have not even heard of either. Thank you for the info. :) Also, STALKER is an amazing set of games.

Day 4 Progress ftw! (Day 3 of this particular run.) haha Probably no one is interested, but I have finally got to the point where I can admit my gaming masochistic tendencies. Jupiter Hell on Apocalypse difficulty? Check. Ao666 on DoomRL? Check.

6h 45m in, and STILL NO KEYS. That said, I have been in two places where I can hear cyberdemons through the walls, so I know roughly the area where two of the keys are.

4WfLfEn.png

Did really well today. Massive amounts of backtracking, but have managed once again to explore enough to only leave two routes of progression. Everything else is blocked off.

We are getting there. The video playlist for this UV Max is gonna be the dullest thing you have ever seen, with the possible exception being everything Disney has done for the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Kyka said:

6h 45m in, and STILL NO KEYS. That said, I have been in two places where I can hear cyberdemons through the walls, so I know roughly the area where two of the keys are.

I'm 6 hrs in with two keys and I wouldn't trust the Cybers since I found one way away from the yellow key.

22 minutes ago, powerkraut said:

I'm 6 hrs in with two keys and I wouldn't trust the Cybers since I found one way away from the yellow key.

Thank you for the heads up. Good luck finishing this beast.

8hrs in and I have found the exit and all three keys. Likely 3 more hrs of backtracking now. I made only right turns until I found the last key and now only left to find my way to the exit. Next is seeing if only left turns are faster and lets me get all three keys before the exit (I found the exit before any keys).

I have found the red key now (9h 15m in so far) and killed the red key cyberdemon, which as you suggested, was indeed a looooong way away from the red key. Fighting cyberdemons in that maze is a nightmare. Back into a dead end and, ouch, game over. Thankfully no deaths yet!

Good luck finding your way out.

I am very excited that someone might beat my big crazy maze! Anyway here's a couple progress  pics for the next version, the wall sectors are now at a certain height so they have a proper top you could walk on, and also the towers work from far away. You can also see them from the ground as you approach.

Screenshot_Doom_20221126_124531.png.5646c05ddb297729b6155165726efe8a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20221126_124627.png

16 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Thanks I was using GZDoom but I will see about using another port. Maybe I will get to play this maze after all!

I just tried Woof Doom and it works amazing! Great advice.
Chocolate Doom Crashes trying to load it😂

Edited by LateToDOOM2020 : LOL

oh my god. I tried running this via Doom Builder and such (because that's just how i do it) and it crashed right as it loaded the map. damn. More updates later

I was curious to see the map overlay. When you make maps too large, the map becomes useless. I think it turned out well enough.

6 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Does that mean that every cacodemon in the level will come after you at once?

This occurred to me too. But somehow it didn't occur to me to actually communicate it. Hmmmm. Us weird introverts do things like that.

[edit] ... unless you make every line in the level impassable, which would work perhaps?

Edited by Kyka

This wad would be really cool if some areas you step on will make walls lower while other areas you step on will make walls raise up.
It would make this maze even more of a mess to navigate. 

14 hours ago, jpsplat said:

Screenshot_Doom_20221126_124531.png.5646c05ddb297729b6155165726efe8a.png

reminds me of a scene from the movie [hellbound: hellraiser 2] but without the [leviathan] towering above the endless labyrinth. congrats on the awesome work!