Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GhostyPep

Ghosty's First Doom Map

Hi, gonna keep this short.

This is my first map, I made it with ultimate doom builder and tested it with crispy doom. It should work with every source port.

It is a short singular map and uses vanilla Doom 2. And, as it's my first, is incredibly mediocre.

Here's the download, shoutout to doomshack. The download in question:

Here's some screenshots I rushed.

1847661664_genericscreenshotA.png.f5faa375afb6b1a84999f3d7431ea1c3.png

1151819076_genericscreenshotB.png.165b915ebcd33ac53c03e018dc312636.png

goodbye

welcome to Doom mappin'

here's the playthrough + review

(my bloody mouse is bugging again)

GOOD: as a first time mapper, not too shabby, nothing really that good here as a first ever map should, as least it's "lookable" unlike most of the #

My First MapTM there's no hideous misalign textures or unpegged door strips, and of cource those bloody hell acute angles.

BAD: let's start with visual. The architecture can be improved, more textures, columns, just random stuff on the wall and floor make thing look nice. you can consult some megawads, learn tips from playing those map, and really look into the details.

UGLY: The combat should goes here, because it's equal to nothing. Again, learn from megawads, learn the traps and monster usage.

Grade (as a first map): C+ 

Build it perfect and then the thread will basically have 0 comments. Of course you want feedback, but I swear they look for first timers to knock around.

Why do every new mapper seem to have doors opening directly into the sky?  It just looks silly!

The map Works fine, It's a good first step. Some notes for the future: Hint better the secrets. And it feels weird that the doors lift into the void. 

2 hours ago, Dreamskull said:

Build it perfect and then the thread will basically have 0 comments. Of course you want feedback, but I swear they look for first timers to knock around.

I'm not sure what you're on about - I don't see any knocking around here I see people playing the map and giving constructive feedback

Here's mine

Project Brutality 3.0 - Doom 2 - Map: #0222 - Ghosty's First Doom Map - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100% Secrets]

A fine little map that the author [GhostyPep] calls his first work. Here you can see, especially in the last section, that he has worked out the details very nicely. This gives hope for a further and good improvement. I think the map is very well done, even if it is quite short. The map [Ghosty's First Doom Map] uses the standard textures and leaves nothing to be desired in terms of playability.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, Dreamskull said:

Proven wrong 

And before this post: proven wrong again: 

Yhea, no, people don't knock newbies around...much

@GhostyPep it's a start  But I do encourage to work on this map a little bit more. Like a dent in the wall, entryways for doors. Here's a good tutorial to follow: 

It's small and cohesive

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

Cute little map. Seems like the goal was to familiarize yourself with the tools, so, good job! I'd recommend really going for some height variation next time around, stairs to higher areas, sniping enemies, all things that make Doom unique. Keep up the good work, and happy mapping!